Cars & Driving Age in Montenegro

Hi, I'm considering moving to Montenegro with my family of 4. I've researched a lot but have found little info about cars for ExPats except for a one thread here on the forum. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. So my questions are:

1) How old do you have to be to drive in Montenegro? What does it take for an ExPat from the US to get a license? (My teenage daughter will have just begun drying here in the US, legal at 16, and I'm concerned she may have to stop driving when we get there.

2) I had just assumed we would buy a vehicle when we get there as there is little public transportation. But now this is sounding tricky. We will most likely be setting up a business in Montenegro for residency purposes. Can the business own and register a vehicle? If we have to register  and buy a vehicle in another country is this an option for an ExPat from the US or only EU? We were considering purchasing a car in Germany and driving it into Montenegro. Any advice  on that?

3) Do the same rules apply to motorcycles?

KimExPat wrote:

2) I had just assumed we would buy a vehicle when we get there as there is little public transportation. But now this is sounding tricky. We will most likely be setting up a business in Montenegro for residency purposes. Can the business own and register a vehicle? If we have to register  and buy a vehicle in another country is this an option for an ExPat from the US or only EU? We were considering purchasing a car in Germany and driving it into Montenegro. Any advice  on that?

Hi Kim,
Not too sure about the other points but I can confirm to you that if you set a company in Montenegro, you can buy a car in the name of the company. Many expats buy cars abroad and even leave the foreign registration plates on (that's my case for ex.) as in this case you don't have to renew the plates each year. The biggest downside of this is that you can only get "third party" insurance, and if you travel out of Montenegro you have to buy insurance in the countries you visit which can be very expensive. Some expats buy a car in Montenegro, and get a special car plate for "temporary residents". You can also buy the car abroad and "import" it (meaning that you will then change the licence plates to local plates) in which case you have to pay some taxes on import, and then you have to renew each year your registration plates at the same time as you renew your residence permit.
I hope someone else can answer your other questions.
Cheers!

Thanks for the help. How much does auto insurance cost there? I'm sure it varies by vehicle etc but is it comparable to here in the states?

Hi Kim,
I'm paying for my Audi A6 : 205€ per year.
Cheers!

Very helpful thanks. Sounds pretty reasonable compared to here in the states.

Kim you can buy a vehicle in Germany but if you have one shipped over from the states that has plate you can get it insured here through cost co drive it with your US liscense and plate never have too pay for registrating that vehicle here again locals pay every year depending on the vehicle it can be expensive ...