Driving to Belize through Mexico Suggestions? Advise?

@bylsma carol

Did you ever make the move? We're on Caye caulker and need to go back to Colorado to get our dogs if we're going to stay a few more months. Considering making the drive even though they could probably fly. They're small but not tiny so they'd be pushing the weight limit. Would love to hear about your experience if you made it!

@Brigitte B glad I found this thread! I too am planing on moving and taking pets and would love some info from you on the route you took that's the safest. Would appreciate the info!

@Brigitte B glad I found this thread! I too am planing on moving and taking pets and would love some info from you on the route you took that's the safest. Would appreciate the info!
-@thekingsmark2

Hi,

We've always crossed at Del Rio/Ciudad Acuña.

From there to Saltillo, San Luis Potosí, Queretaro, Puebla, Orizaba, Villahermosa, then to the Northern Border turnoff just before Chetumal.

it's mostly toll highways and the drive is beautiful.

We used to take our time so that we could do some exploring along the way.

As to safety…we've never had any issues. That's of course not to say that people don't have issues.

The toll roads are busy 24/7. There are some short isolated areas. Fuel up when your tank gets half full. Bring a water cooler, snacks, hand sanitizer and toilet paper. There are ATMs in larger supermarkets like Walmart, Soriana etc.

We pay cash for fuel and tolls. Lots of gas stations along the way. Most have a store with a good variety of coffee, sandwiches, and other snacks.

Most bathrooms have toilet paper and soap.

Safe travels and have fun!

@Janetom

Hi guys noticed your post

I too am from Ontario and wanted to know if you would consider meeting and if everyone is comfortable we could share, if you have room of course, a trip from Ontario to Belize.

Very happy to share all expenses and driving too

Thanks

Kevin from Ontario,CA

@Brigitte B thank you! Lots of planning to do….

@Brigitte B thank you! Lots of planning to do….
-@thekingsmark2

Yes!

Make sure you have all your/vehicle/pet documents in order. Make a couple of copies of each.

We always avoided crossing any borders on a weekend. (We used to drive back and forth from Alberta)

Take your time. Lots to explore along the central route.

@Brigitte B

Hello,

If we drive to Belize and only plan on staying for a month or two and then continue driving and travelling through Central America, do we have to pay import fees? Do you know how that would work?

Also wondering if you could email me the route you took and hotels you stayed at? If we drive, we would be leaving from Alberta (west of Edmonton).

Thanks

Steve

@Brigitte B
Hello,
If we drive to Belize and only plan on staying for a month or two and then continue driving and travelling through Central America, do we have to pay import fees? Do you know how that would work?

Also wondering if you could email me the route you took and hotels you stayed at? If we drive, we would be leaving from Alberta (west of Edmonton).

Thanks

Steve
-@stevevedder39

I can email you the hotel list.  Private message me your email address.

@Brigitte B
Hello,

Thanks

Steve
-@stevevedder39
I can email you the hotel list. Private message me your email address.
-@Brigitte B

I've just messaged you the hotel list.

You will not have to import your vehicle. You will get a 30 day visitors permit upon entry. Before your permit expires you will need to get an extension, which should also include your vehicle.

Oh perfect, thanks so much!

@stevevedder39 You're welcome!

@Brigitte B Hi, I am planning to drive from BC, Canada to Belize with a boat/trailer. Can you share your best/safest route through Mexico? Thanks

@Brigitte B Hi, I am planning to drive from BC, Canada to Belize with a boat/trailer. Can you share your best/safest route through Mexico? Thanks

-@travelbeat

Hi @travelbeat! Except for one time, we've always used the central route. We've never traveled towing anything, so can't advise on which border crossing would be best.

We cross at Del Rio, TX/Ciudad Acuña.

Follow the 29 to Allende where you can get your FMM and TIP. Both are also available at Ciudad Acuña.

From Allende the 57/57D takes you past Saltillo, San Luis Potosí, Querétaro to the Arco Norte. Follow that towards Puebla. The Arco Norte will merge with the 150D from Mexico City. A little bit before Tinaja, take the 180D to Villahermosa, then186/186D to the Belize border turnoff, just before Chetumal.

We've driven this route, from Canmore to Belize and back, quite a few times. For us this is the best route, and we've never had any safety issues. That's not to say that people haven't  experienced issues.

@travelbeat i just returned from a few weeks in Belize. I stayed midway - southern part of the country BUT i was talking to a few folks who said the northern part, Mexico border area, is fairly unsafe right now due to road bandits. I didnt go there because it wasnt my plan. i was checking out potential relocation sites.  This may be BS rumors but it was Belizians who spoke of this. I wish i were joining you!!  it sounds like a fun journey.

I drove pickup and trailer from Laredo last summer. The state police took all our pesos at a roadblock. I suggest carry little cash, use credit card instead.

Note that customs at Corozal are only open for banker's hours M-F.

Hello!  We decided not to drive through Mexico so we drove from Washington State to Houston.  We hired a Belizean driver and flew him up to Houston on a Sunday.  He took 2 days to get to Corozal.  Total cost including his fee, gas,  tolls, and meals was about $1500 USD.  Because he was carrying a color copy of the title rather than the original, Mexican authorities also collected $400 USD in ”fines.”  (We had made a decision to not give him the original title thinking it would be too risky).  We also needed the original title when getting through Belize Customs so keep that in mind.  We also recommend hiring a duty negotiator.

Hi guys, thank you all for your valuable advises. I will keep that in mind and make my choice once I get closer to move my stuff to Belize.

@bylsma carol Just watched this informative YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ld_5E7JMrE about how to avoid being fined, suspended of driver license or even confiscation of vehicle when you travel thorugh Mex on your way to Belize. Cool video.

We made the trip at the end of January with a 35 ft RV, with a toddler, two dogs and towing a Kia car.

We found through a friend, a Belizean who has made the trip through Mexico many times. We flew him up to McAllen TX and he drive with us down tbe coastal route. It was relatively uneventful, and it was great to have him with us, as be knew the route, where to overnight, and had experience of being stopped along the route and how to handle it. Plus he speaks Spanish!

To be honest it took so much of the stress away and was well worth what he charged us. We also have a new friend in Belize.

To contact him if you are interested in a quote and/or for using his services use the following link :

Moderated by Bhavna last month
Reason : Please share link in private
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

We made the trip at the end of January with a 35 ft RV, with a toddler, two dogs and towing a Kia car.
We found through a friend, a Belizean who has made the trip through Mexico many times. We flew him up to McAllen TX and he drive with us down tbe coastal route. It was relatively uneventful, and it was great to have him with us, as be knew the route, where to overnight, and had experience of being stopped along the route and how to handle it. Plus he speaks Spanish!

To be honest it took so much of the stress away and was well worth what he charged us. We also have a new friend in Belize.

-@lawrerc