Utility Questions

Ciao a tutti,  we are hoping to close on a small apartment in Ostuni later this spring and if anyone lives in the area, I would so appreciate any information/advice on having utilities transferred/turned on in our names.  Are there ways to set up paying for such services online once set up? I imagine this would be easier to manage from afar when we aren't there, but don't know if this is possible. This is just one area of things that we will have to learn about being in Italy!  We would so appreciate any hints and tips since although studying Italian, siamo principianti (we are beginners).  Grazie!

We are in the same situation. We will only be living a total of 6 months in our home in Italy and the other in the U.S. Our agent will take us to the bank to open our account during the closing. Then, we get the utilities in our name and they will do automatic payments from the bank just as in the U.S. We found though, that in our small town, the local commune charges for water by meter readings so you will need to find out how you can automatically pay them as well. I think your agent should help you. Ours is. Good luck!

Thanks very much for sharing your situation. Best of luck to you!  We worked with a great lawyer who speaks English as well as Italian and he's been wonderful, but I will check in with the listing agent about some hints or help with the utilities question when we get closer.  We found the apartment online and then proceeded with the lawyer so we didn't work directly with the agent, but both parties pay the commission so I'm hopeful we may get some assistance when needed from her.   Enjoy your new place when you get there!