Expats living in Cortona

Hi all Expats in Cortona!
I am seriously considering coming to Cortona for 3 months if I can find a place to live. I am from Newport Beach, California and visited Cortona this year. 
I would like to know what those that came from other countries and now live there think...
Do you ever get lonely?
Is it too small of a town?
What are your days like?
etc....I'd love know hear of your experience living in Cortona!
Thank you so much,

Judy

Hi, there is quite a large expat community in Cortona but I think a lot of the answers you are looking for depends on the time of year. We have just moved here and at present it is very quiet as many restaurants close for the winter. Weekly markets still take place and there are lots of places to visit. I've met many lovely people, Italian, British, Canadian and American and they've all been very welcoming. I do think it is very important if you aren't already fluent in Italian (or even partially), that you are committed to learning the language, particularly if you want to be part of the local community. It's early days to determine whether I'll feel lonely, but I don't think I will. In terms of size, Cortona isn't huge but it is perfect for exploring the rest of Tuscany. There is a good bus service as well as trains from Camucia which will take you to a Florence in an hour. At the moment my days are full of settling in to the new house but after that I'm looking forward to spending time getting to know more people and joining new activities such as learning more about Italian cooking and painting. I hope this all helps. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Thank you for your response. Did you move to Italy on your own?
I am excited as I did just secure a studio in town and am coming on my own mid April for 2 months to determine if I will want to stay longer.  Do you already speak Italian?  I am starting a Rosetta Stone course at least to know the basics. What country are you from and have you moved to Cortona permanently?

Hi, I moved to Cortona with my husband and have only been resident for a few weeks but know the area really well as we have holidayed here over the years. The intention is to spend increasingly more time here than in the UK which is where we are from. I wouldn't say I am fluent in Italian but it is improving as our neighbours don't speak English so I have to speak it if I want to be part of their community. They have all been very welcoming and I think are very interested in what we are doing. I'm glad you decided to take the plunge as Cortona is a lovely place and arriving in April, when the weather is warming up, is a good idea. Also there won't be too many tourists so you'll be able to explore more easily. I think the best thing is to keep an open mind, don't come with unrealistic/idealistic expectations and 'just go with the flow'. Its a different pace of life and there aren't the large shopping malls etc., but there are lovely markets on a very regular basis where you can just about buy most of the things you need as well as shops in Cortona and Camucia where the owners are very helpful. I'm sure you also know that the trains from Camucia can take you to Arezzo in 30 mins, Florence in an hour, Rome in two,  There is also a bar in Pergo which is a regular gathering place for ex-pats and I'm sure you would meet and get to know people there.

Thank you so much and I am definitely able to go With the flow!   I Appreciate your response.

Friuli1957
Hi my name is Karen and I'm coming in March to stay in a villa with 5 other women celebrating our 60's.  I know you must be extremely busy moving in but if you just happen to speak to one of your Italian neighbors could you see if there's a lady in Cortona who would like to cook a few dinners for us during that week and maybe breakfast as well.
Many years ago we stayed in Val d'Orca and had a lovely lady come everyday...she was fabulous but I've lost touch with her.  Io studio italiano da dieci anni ma e' molto difficili per me.  Spero di si sarei in grado di vivere li un giorno

Grazie mille,
Karen

You're very welcome. Maybe we'll bump into each other! Let me know when you arrive.

Would love that!  Are you on Whats App?  I am and I arrive April 18 - June 18...Let's meet!

Judy Shab

Hi Judy, Yes I'm on Whatapp. You're arriving at a lovely time of year. Where in Cortona will you be living? We should be back in Italy by then as we plan to go back to the UK to collect our dogs. Will look forward to meeting you.
Caroline

Hello Caroline...Great! lets connect then on Whats App. I am told my studio is a 5 min walk from the Center. My phone # is***

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello:

I'm interesting to know what is the best area to stay for couple months, i speak Italian and i really love the idea to involve my self in this culture (tuscany life)

i highly appreciate the suggestions.

thanks so much.