Planning on moving to Calabria.

I am an Italian citizen, but American also. I have a home in a small town in Calabria.  Questions?
How long can I stay in Italy with my Carta de Identita? Medical attention? Shipping a car from the USA? Drivers license?  Any info on those subjects would be greatly appreciated😀

I have a dual citizenship , which I just reacquired the Italian citizenship this year after losing it upon becoming a US citizen.  Also, I was born in Pizzo, Calabria
Regarding your questions, here what I know but it wouldn't hurt verifying my answers with a  legal entity or the consulate if you can someone to answer or anyone on this forum who has had this experience:
•    As a citizen of Italy, you can stay there indefinitely.
•    You mentioned that you have a home in Calabria, so I assume you will set up residence in the town in which the home is located. This means that you will need to register at the prefettura.
•    You didn't state you have a codice fiscale. Upon setting up residence,  you will need to get one. It is like a SS # and it is needed for most legal transactions you will have and to get the social medical care.
•    Medical insurance, I am not sure about the social med insurance but I heard that private med insurance is better and it is not as expensive as in the US. From experince, I can tell you medicine is way much cheaper here in Italy.
•    Regarding a car, here is what I have found out. I have a 2009 BMW hard top convertible with low mileage and which I want to bring over. In my research, I have read that the car will need to be retrofitted to meet EU standard (I thought we   had the highest standards in the world). Anyhow, the cost of the retrofit combined with the cost of shipping doesn't make financial sense.
•    If residing longer than a year and, I think, if you are buying a car or register your US car there,  you will need to have a driver's license. This will require you to go through expensive driver school.
I am planning to move there sometime next spring although it will not be in Calabria. I will also face challenges as my wife will need to establish residence.
Buona fortuna and please feel free to reach if you have further questions

Thank you for getting back with me so quickly.  I do have a code de fiscale. My car is a 2003 Porsche Boxster S with the clear signal covers as opposed to the amber colored ones.  I do have military benefits, but will not be close to a military base.  I'm thinking stay 11 months, then return to the U.S. to visit family, then return to Italy , therefore starting a new year, or 11-12 months. Keeping my u.s. License, now Italy allows an Italian license for 5 years, but once you hit 70 it's good for only 2 years.  I have been to Pizzo, beautiful, just spent time in Tropea, Messina,teoromenia, and Catania.  Where do you live now? Maybe we can chat by phone?   Nick

Hey Nick,
I currently live in Atlanta (not by choice) but I have spent  7 months this year in Italy of which 5 months were spent in Lecco on Lago Como and the last 2 in Ancona. Unfortunately I had to cut my stay in Ancona short by  1 1/2 month due to a family emergency. I was in Pizzo for a week in the fist part of August to visit with my cousins and uncle , who spent their summer vacation there.
I am not sure I would bring a Boxter or my BMW to Calabria unless you have a secure place to park it, I have a cousin who lives in a villa in the Ionian side of Calabria and owns a 911, an Audi , a Hummer (believe it or not) and a fiat. He would only drive the fiat and hummer around town but drive  the Audi and 911  when he goes north.
If you are staying for a period of less than a year at a time, I don't think it would be necessary changing your driver license (I was told that the driving school alone is about 1200 euro). I wasn't aware that  an Italian license is only good for 5 years and 2 years after turning 70. Interesting.
Also, I think that you don't need to establish residency since you are going back and forth. If you do start residency, be aware that there will be some tax issue since you own the home.
yes. please feel free to call me. I am *** .
Looking forward talking with you . A presto Nico (my italian Nick name)

Moderated by Diksha 4 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details through private messaging. Thank you.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Good morning.  Thanks for the info. I've not heard of any issues with cars in southe n Italy. My relatives live next door.  Will be looking for a garage.  Not sure how to o message so we can exchange phone numbers or private email.

Hey Nick,
I forget that this system doesn't allow phone numbers or emailed to be shown to the public. I will send you a message. N