Essentials to live in Italy

Hi,

As an expat living in Italy, what would you advise the ones about to pack to bring along?

What are the items you can easily find in Italy? On the other hand, what is less common or quite expensive?

Share with us what you would recommend to bring in one's suitcase or container when moving to Italy.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

Patience. You need it, in spades. It will make the experience of living here in Italy "all that" and more; as long as you pack your patience.

Best/Bailey

The following food items I always bring  with me when I return from a visit to the U.S.  I will never just eat pasta, I need a wider choice, and as I cook in our home, I make sure I have what i need.

Corn Tortillas Paris has factory, but they never get here to Italy.  Bring LOTS if you love Mexican Food.!!
Crisco (Italians don't know what this is)
Vanilla (expensive in Italy, and in small quantities)
Cheddar Cheese (Great Britain has this)  I have seen some  in shops here, but VERY expensive.
Dark Brown Sugar (The heavy type in the U.S. is not the same as the type from the Philippines found here.
Tortilla press
Measuring cups
Measuring spoons
Cooking knives are expensive here

I brought over a kitchen aide mixer on one trip, then a set of pasta blades that fit it on  the next trip.  I had to build an electronic  converter for it as the small ones sold in shops could not handle the conversion.

Italy has all the appliances, televisions, etc. that you find in the U.S.  Usually more expensive here
Nike shoes (etc.) are cheaper in the U.S.  It seems that all shoes are more expensive here.
All craft items like watercolor paper, paints, brushes I buy in the U.S.  Art shops here have few choices and always in smaller quantities for a lot more money.
You won't find hobby stores here much.  My wife does cross stitching and she buys online.
Your cell  phones (to buy) cost more here, but the monthly charge is hugely cheaper.
Clothes are more colorful in the U.S.  Italians like to wear black jackets, etc.  Therefore, if you like to wear bright colors, bring it.  Hawaiian shirts......forget it. 
Cook books in English. 
Keep a  bank account in the U.S.  Most banks here charge to have an account.  You will need it if you are having retirement funds coming to you every month. I just use the bank O Mat at a local bank to get money that I need.
You can register to vote in the state you are leaving, but can only vote for Senate and President.
Renew your driver's license in America so that it will last a long time. Go to AAA and get an international driver's license, which lasts one year.   You will have to get an Italian license after one year here.  And this is REALLY difficult as you take a difficult test, and then will have to do a driving school, and another test.  GRRRR.. I just passed...
I hope this helps someone...

I write a blog about my American life  in Italy, some of it can help you be prepared for the differences.
The driving test, the food, and the life style in Italy..
Find it at the link below, just paste it into your browser.
Dave Lester

whatfillsmyplate.blogspot.it/

Canned pumpkin and evaporated milk! I love pumpkin pie at thanksgiving and Christmas so I brought it!! Have managed to find American coffee, needed to bring oatmeal and never found spray PAM, OK I seldom use it but don't think it is available.

I get carnation evaporated milk at my local Chinese market.  I buy pumpkin pieces at the vegetable seller, and I bake it, then use the food processor to cut it up.  I add spices and brown sugar that I buy also from the Chinese shop.  And I have a terrific pumpkin pie, better than canned.  If you write me at my email, I will send you the recipe. 

Dave Lester

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Please do not share personal contact infos on the public forum!

Christine

Your post is a bit generic.
What do you mean for essential? I guess that will depend on your life style.
Where are you coming from?  This will help to understand what you can find in your country of origin that you cannot find in Italy.

Me, I'm Italian and now I live in the UK.

Kind regards
Pier

Hello everyone

thank your all for your feedback.

@ Pier, Christine is a member of the expat.com Team. This topic is a general one, which has been launched on all forums so that future expats get an idea about what members already in Italy brought from their respective countries.

All the best
Bhavna

Hello All, I will be relocating in April from South Africa. We have a huge range of food products here, Indian, Chinese, Thai. I would specifically be looking for those three. Are there shops where they sell these fresh ingredients or should I stock up before I leave South Africa? The other question is would I be allowed to bring in fresh spices?

Hello,
There are many Chinese shops that sell spices.  I get my sirachia both red and green there, also japanese sushi ingredients.  There are arab shops that sell Indian spices, which is nice.  I get my cilantro in the Chinese shop. 
thai.. hard to find
Mexican... hard to find
I have brought all types of spices in, even fresh peppers, habanero, etc.
They don't  seem  to want to look in my baggage.
You can get peanut butter in cans from France in the Chinese shop.
won ton skins, spring roll skins.. no problem to find.
A few years ago it was quite difficult to find this stuff.  But the Italians are waking up to things. 
Good luck.
Dave

Thanks Dave. Looking forward to cooking in Italy.

Forget the food products... you're better off leaving all of that "schifezza" at home! Believe me, the longer you live in Italy, the less you'll miss it.

If you're from the US, instead think of things that you might buy OTC at the pharmacy, which often require a prescription, or are at least quite expensive in Italy. Things like ibuprofen, benedryl, etc.