New Construction Flat in Kiev or Surrounding Area

I'm interested in purchasing real estate and would like some information on purchasing a new construction flat in Kiev. Is it necessary or advantageous to use the services of a licensed realtor for a new construction flat? In the US they're of great value for contacts, negotiating, and local market trend knowledge. However, I'm not sure if realtors are paid by the builders as in the US. How can I go about finding reliable and legitimate buildings that are under construction or in the preliminary stage of sales? I prefer to purchase something earlier in the build to save as much money as possible. My budget is around $50-80k and would like something of ~48-65m2 in size with storage and underground parking. Additionally I'd like to be within walking distance of a Silpo and the metro. All comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

It is impossible to buy a flat with underground parking unless you are buying a new, very expensive apartment.   You are talking a few hundred thousands dollars.  It might be possible for you to buy very old and small apartments in outskirts of Kiev with that budget, but you have to fix it up a lot and no underground parking or reserved parking space.  Everybody parks on the street, or wherever they can find space.  Again outskirts of Kiev, even new apartments, they don't provide enough parking space for every apartment.  They may provide enough parking space something like %30 - %40 of total number of apartments.  Whoever cannot park in apartment area, they have to park on streets. 

I saw $1700 per square meter new apartment inside Kiev.  Very good location.  Smallest one is 52 square meter. $88,400.  Parking available but extra.  I don't know the cost.  But this is just a box. Meaning, nothing is finished inside.  You have to install everything inside. Which will cost you at least $60,000, minimum, more.  Total: $148,000.  Just an example.

I found using real estate agents in Ukraine is hit or miss.  All agents don't share a big database. Each agent or office has their own database and they don't share with other agents or offices. 

I used a couple of agents and they showed me some houses but nothing satisfied my requirement.  At the end, I ended up driving around the area where I wanted to live and found a land.  And built a house with two car garages.  Land costed me $15,000.  But by the time, I finished everything, it costed me about $140K for a complete house.  It is about 10 minutes by car to the nearest metro station.   If a covered garage is important for you, you might want to consider buying a small lot and build a small house with a garage to your liking.  If you are handy person, you can even do some of work and save money.  I had others do all the work so it costed me more.  Building a house here is much different than U.S.  It is easier in many aspects and less permits requirement.  At least from my experience, we built a house without a permit.  After finishing the house, we hired a lawyer who did all permits, construction permit, occupancy permit etc... Meantime, we moved in and started living while all documents were being prepared.  That is the way it was explained to us by the land owner from whom we bought a land.  I hope this gives you some idea about real estate situation in Kiev area.

I found one building complex in Podil which is interesting. 48m2 flat with option to buy an underground space for less than $100k. I am only interested in new construction atm since it's actually cheaper from what I can see. https://044.house/

I am skeptical that you can find something like that in Kyiv but this is absolutely possible i surrounding areas of Kyiv. Check towns like Bucha (Буча) and Irpin (Ірпінь) - they are exactly what you are looking for if we don't take Kyiv itself.

A real estate agent is a must. Especially when you are buying a flat in a new building then they are paid by the developer. In any case, there are just too many options and not all of them are a good deal. The quality of the buildings often is questionable but the main risk is the legal background. Often the buildings are built for years, or they can't be plugged into the municipal communication systems like heating, water supply, electricity supply, etc. Having said this I would recommend you to invest only in a ready building, even in one that has been completed at least a year ago. It is more expensive yet less risky.
I can advise you on real estate in Irpin myself as I know this market very well. By advice I don't mean a paid service but just sharing my own experience.

In my opinion the real estate agent is a big joker in the game. So many different "real estate agents" with many different options. In some cases they want you to pay 5% commission for buying an apartment. In the normal world the seller pays the commision to the salesman (real estate agent) for selling the obeject. But this is Ukraine, where things are on the opposite.

Since you have the money, you are also calling the shots. Try to buy objects without paying comission to some salesman for buying something. Try to deal directly with the seller if possible and you can cut out the real estate agent. Anyway closing the deal will be done by a notaris who checks all the documentation so find one you think is good and profesional.

Here are a good site for checking out new building projects:
https://lun.ua/

This is one for already completed houses:
https://flatfy.ua/

I have been eyeing Irpen but the location is a bit far. I've only lived in Podil and this was the area I was particularly interested in. However the prices in Irpen are much more affordable and for this reason I would consider it. How is it for you in Irpen compared to Podil?  Can you recommend any business class buildings in Irpen? I will not have a car so being close to things is important to me.

Thank you for the advice you have provided. Since I am not a local, what would you suggest I do when it comes time to negotiate? Because of the language barrier I was strongly considering the services of a reputable realtor.

DreamCatcher213 wrote:

I have been eyeing Irpen but the location is a bit far. I've only lived in Podil and this was the area I was particularly interested in. However the prices in Irpen are much more affordable and for this reason I would consider it. How is it for you in Irpen compared to Podil?  Can you recommend any business class buildings in Irpen? I will not have a car so being close to things is important to me.

I don't like Podil at all. It looks tired and is always in traffic jams.
Could you please clarify what you mean by "business class buildings in Irpen"?

It is much cheaper to buy a 50 sqm apartment in Spain, Valencia than to spend over 100K on a similar apartment in Ukraine.

Maybe have a look on the left side, This is much more cheaper or in the new areas of Metro Station Teremki.

By business class I mean better quality materials, underground parking, storage, security, and nicely maintained common areas. Pretty much the stuff that is normal in the west.

I have not looked at this area. Can you recommend some buildings? In your opinion, is this a better option compared to Irpin?

For example Riverstone. There is all standard what you wrote about.

To: Gregorypak

Thanks for the info.
How long did it take to build and how much did you pay for the Square meter?
Thank you

Sanja7 wrote:

In my opinion the real estate agent is a big joker in the game. So many different "real estate agents" with many different options. In some cases they want you to pay 5% commission for buying an apartment. In the normal world the seller pays the commision to the salesman (real estate agent) for selling the obeject. But this is Ukraine, where things are on the opposite.

Since you have the money, you are also calling the shots. Try to buy objects without paying comission to some salesman for buying something. Try to deal directly with the seller if possible and you can cut out the real estate agent. Anyway closing the deal will be done by a notaris who checks all the documentation so find one you think is good and profesional.

Here are a good site for checking out new building projects:
https://lun.ua/

This is one for already completed houses:
https://flatfy.ua/

Do you know if there are any direct buying from owners website in English language?
Thank you

I think you will have to work with google translate regarding the sites. flatfy is easy to use since it have a map view that enables you to find objects at your favourite part of town. To exlude the real estate agent is little tricky since normal it is the buyer that pays commission. This result in that a seller can just say that he has a apartment for sale and quickly he can get 10 different agents trying to sell the object. Seller doesnt care since in most cases you as a buyer pay the commission. One way to avoid the commision is to try to contact the seller yourself.

One site is this http://stopmakler.com/

There is different prices on the same flat depending the stage of construction.
For example at Obolon Residences (2 minutes from Minsk's metro Station) at the beginning of construction the price was 1500 USD per sq m. When the house was already built the price was 2000+ USD. And on the secondary market (when the house is already built, have the permission for explotation, all communications are inside the building) the price is 2500+ USD.

So for lower price it is better to find projects at the beginning of construction. But the investor takes all the risks if the constitution is not finished. Unfortunately it happens so often in Ukraine.

Yes and it can take some waiting time as well.
Not far away from Obolon recidences there is a house Obolon breeze, thats almost finished but still pending on some decision. What I understand the official version is that they were allowed to build certain amont of floors but exceeded this and now they cant finish it. I have seen the same situation in Bereznaky and the 3 big towers, Silver breeze. 3th house is still empty and not finsihed.

https://investhelp.com.ua/ru/content/m- … 2%84%96-30

Unfortunately it is common situation in Kyiv.
Many developers recieve permission for small or administrtive buildings and then build 25+ floor building. Some of them find the way to legalize it. Other couldn't and the buildings stay unfinished.

In some cases, investors begin to live in unfinished buildings and provide electricity and water supply in flats by their own cost.

Me gustaría conocer más personas que residan en la cuidad de Brovary, soy de origen cubano y mi esposa es Ucraniana y queremos establecernos en este lugar.
Para saber más de mí me pueden encontrar en Google como : leleplanells
Vivimos en USA y queremos tener una propiedad en Ucrania, qué trámites y más debemos hacer?

We bought a 6 sotka (about 22m x 27m) lot near teremky metro station, by car about 10 minutes.  Built a house using SIP (structurally insulated panel) in one year.  Using SIP, house box can go up fast, within a week or two, maximum.  This is very fast for Ukraine standard. I got lucky and met a good crew.  This includes drilling a well, installing a septic tank, connecting to electricity, installing grass sod, metal fence around the house and electric gate for car, first floor tiles with under floor heating system, second floor laminate with radiators under windows for heating,  and all materials and labor.  Everything total cost $140,000.  Very warm in winter and we are very happy.  It was not easy, but in over all we consider ourselves very lucky.  If you can meet a good team of crew, it can be done.