Mexican Residency

I've been trying to get in touch with the Mexican Consulate regarding what they will need in order for us to obtain residency, but have had no luck reaching them by phone or getting an emailed response. (Little Rock, AR is apparently the only consulate who can talk with us about it due to our location). I really just want to know what they will require so that we can begin getting the information together.  Appointments are as far as two months out, so I'd like to go ahead and make one, but it's four hours from our current home, so I don't want to go unprepared.

Can anyone here help us out? One question in particular: do we need an address where we'll be staying before we can apply?

Many thanks for any info you can provide.

Have you tried consulting the consulates website? The requirements often vary by consulate.

Another option is to locate an attorney or immigration service that has helped others through the process at the specific consulate you will be using.

Good Luck.

As far as my experience went, there was no requirement for an address in Mexico during the consulate stage of the process. The address was required for the second stage in Mexico at the INM office. I've written an article about my experiences doing it alone, if you are keen. Please note that I am not an immigration agent, and this is only my experiences :)

Mreid51 wrote:

Have you tried consulting the consulates website? The requirements often vary by consulate.

Another option is to locate an attorney or immigration service that has helped others through the process at the specific consulate you will be using.

Good Luck.

I checked Little Rock's Mexican Consulate's website and they have no information regarding visas - RT or RP.

Cindye1010 wrote:

I've been trying to get in touch with the Mexican Consulate regarding what they will need in order for us to obtain residency, but have had no luck reaching them by phone or getting an emailed response. (Little Rock, AR is apparently the only consulate who can talk with us about it due to our location). I really just want to know what they will require so that we can begin getting the information together.  Appointments are as far as two months out, so I'd like to go ahead and make one, but it's four hours from our current home, so I don't want to go unprepared.

Can anyone here help us out? One question in particular: do we need an address where we'll be staying before we can apply?

Many thanks for any info you can provide.

Hi Cindy,

You will need an address when you go. They will want to know where you will be going to, but so far that can be a hotel at first. I don't know  how long that will be so, but as far as I know that will be temporarily ok.

A good secondary resource would be mexperience.com. They stay pretty current on the latest rules.

We are in the first stages of applying for permanent resident status.  I hired a lady in Tijuana to help us.  We were trying to use the Sacramento consulate.  We were told due to COVID the CA consulates at least are limiting to one appointment per day and are only servicing people in their zip code area.  The lady we hired has a lot of experience with the San Diego consulate but they won't take us as we live in the Sacramento consulate's area.  That rule might change in the next week or two and if it does we are going to San Diego as they are easier to deal with according to her.  The list of paperwork you need is pretty straight forward and you should be able to Email your nearest consulate for a list, that's what I did.  However, I found out each consulate might have a little different rules.  As Sacramento and San Diego apparently have different feelings on what they will take for proof of financial solvency for a married couple.  We did have two dates for appointments but couldn't make one so our rep canceled them.  Right now we are waiting to see if San Diego opens up for appointments.  If not we will try Sacramento again and should be able to get into Sacramento by mid-March.

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Please recommend in the business directory.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct