Work culture for pharmacist

Am a Zambian citizen planning to leave for the USA once am done with my studies as a pharmacist. i would love to find out about the working culture for pharmacist and what it takes for the person to be accepted to offer health services in the USA. Any advice please.

Hi

With a Degree in Pharmacology, it will not be difficult to find a job.
Depending on the country of origin, one may have to have the degree evaluated to see at level it matches up the the US standards.  The medical industry in the USA is extremely advanced with new tech and processes etc. I know few people came from Russia with a  degree in Dentistry , and they were required to do the course all over again. That is a 4 year course with substantial cost involved.
Now she works as a dental hygienist.
You may want to check this out first. There are several companies do this type of work.
Workwise, one can find employment in a Hospital setting or in a local private Drug store/pharmacy etc.
You will make enough money on both settings.
Best of luck

HI BEVG,

Sorry for the delay in response - I work with a pharmacy organization right now so thought some insights might be relevant.

As jamesduraiswamy mentioned credentialing and liscencing in the US varies by state. I would definitely research what you need for any states you are interested in living in. I would also evaluate what visas they might sponsor - for this you might consider joining a pharmaceutical industry company - "Big Pharma" in the U.S. that focuses on therapy development and trials - they tend to have the bank accounts that can support such sponsorship.

Regarding culture - it really depends on where you practice. However, in some recent conversations I've had pharmacists definitely have struggled to feel that they are equally important to patient outcomes and that this is known by the patients. They tend to be viewed as dispensaries, not necessarily known for the expertise - again this is dependent on what type of practice, but was interesting for me to learn. Otherwise, I think in general you'll find that the large dispensaries (CVS, Walgreens, etc) are just that. A few smaller, independent pharmacies also exist, but like most things in the U.S. especially with the pandemic they've struggled to stay afloat.

Best of luck!

Thank you so much for both responses