Sufficient income Germany

I have been reading that sufficient income for a family reunion visa is 9000 A year per person. Is this before or after taxes? Also is this before or after rent also? If I have an savings account with about 10000 in it will it also help my case? Are investments also considered in the application?

I think the number has recently gone up to almost €11k.
That is the fixed, permanent income (per person) needed to get a family reunion visa (to follow a non-German, the procedure is different for German families) and is intended to ensure that the dependent will not need government assistance or becomes destitute.
It is NOT a one-time amount that can be shown in a blocked account, as e.g. for student visa (which are for a limited time).

So if it is a job that pays by the hour will she still be able to show her paycheck as evidence or does it have to be a fixed yearly salary?

She would have to submit her work contract (which must specify the work hours) and payslips of the last few months (that show a salary above approx. €22k/year for the two of you). She also needs to have sufficient living space (minimum 60sqm two room flat) and a health insurance for you (If she's in the public scheme and you have no income, her insurance could cover you for free).

What if my spouse makes slightly under the 22k a year. Can I provide a bank statement with an account with money in it? Can a family member sponsor us? Do we have any other options if the salary requirement isn't met?

Ask the embassy, they should know better than us!
But why would you want to move into poverty in Germany? The visa threshold is really the minimum to survive (at subsistence level).

You sent the following by PM. I reply here because that's where such discussions belong.

Nick639 wrote:

I dont mean to bother you so much but you seem like a good resource for me because the embassy takes a while to respond to my inquiries. If you dont mind Id like to clear up a few things:

1. The 22k for the two of us is the gross income not the net income correct?

2. What is your source that it went up to 11k per person?

1. Incomes up to the subsistence level are tax-free, so gross and nett are same.

2. She must earn enough to make both of you ineligible for social security payments. The underlying calculation is very complicated, depends on your individual personal situation (see http://berlin-hilft.com/2018/11/05/lebe … serlaubnis) and is furthermore adjusted yearly, so any number you read can only be a rule of thumb. I read somewhere €10800/year per person - but I just googled and also found €10250/year.

Thank you for the useful information, however, what if the gross is about the subsistence level but when all taxes are complete the net is below subsistence level?

You must take into consideration that taxes and tax-free allowance for a couple are different from her current situation as a single person.

Just to clarify, 22k gross income.

I just checked with one of the online tax calculators:
At just €22k/year (€1833/month) income, a married couple pays no tax at all, so gross is same as nett.

I know this is an old post, but do I have to show sufficient income if my wife is an EU National?

Nick639: As far as I know, yes. But better confirm that with the embassy where you apply for the family reunion visa.