6-month visa for 2nd home owners in France

If a UK national owns a 2nd home in France can he/she get a 6th month visa after Brexit?
What are the requirements?
NaC

Welcome to the forum :)

We don't need visas for the EU, as far as I know. 90 days in any 180 day period. Usual EU rules apply.

OK, thank you.

Yes, I know about the 90-day rule that will probably come into force at the end of 2020. However, people with holiday homes who don't want to return to the UK after 90 days and remain over here for another 90 days before returning to France may be able to benefit from the existing 6-month visas. I believe these 6-month visas have been used by Americans and other non-Eu nationals who have second homes in France.
Of course, they are a hassle and an extra expense but would be well worth it if they get round the 90-day rule.

The other question that arises is this: if you have a 6-month visa for France to what extent will you be 'marooned' in France for the whole period? Supposing you wanted to go to Italy or Spain for a couple of weeks during the 6-month period - would this be permitted?

Does anyone know about this latter point?

NaC

Nothing set in stone at the moment as talks are still ongoing, you will have to follow the news.

OK - will do that.
Thanks.
NaC

If you assume a situation similar to the US, then
- you can easily get a 6 month multi-entry Schengen "visiteur" visa, by showing enough resources (money, usually equal to SMIC) and health insurance for the duration.
- it allows trips throughout the Schengen zone; it assumes that you will spend the most time in France (otherwise, you get a visa from the country where you will stay the longest)
- you can come and go between France and the UK as well
- you don't count as a French fiscal resident
- the visa is repeatable
- you get it from the new outsourced company, VFS, and it's approved by the French consulate in your area. You go to the VFS office in person to apply, taking a dossier (outlined by an online tool). The visa (in your passport) is mailed back to you, or you can arrange to pick it up. This type of visa usually takes 1-2 weeks (in the US)

Well, now that IS very interesting indeed.
They are telling us that 'post Brexit' we must assume that we will be regarded as someone from Australia, USA etc.
So on the basis that you quote, things are looking much brighter.
On the other hand, I suppose UK citizens may not even qualify for the advantages that are currently accorded to USA if the States, perhaps, sorted out a bi-lateral deal with France - perhaps a deal that has been in existence for very many years (?)
The 90-day rule will be a pain for UK people with 2nd homes and I hope that we will indeed qualify in the same way that US citizens are currently regarded.
It would be good for some further input from UK 2nd home owners who may have researched the 6-month visa option.
One other point: what is the VFS Office? Is that in the USA.
Thank you, Julie, for taking the trouble to reply in such detail to my question.
NaC

This is useful for 2nd home owners as well as for those moving permanently to France, you can subscribe to gov.uk who will email the latest updates to you.

Update on GOV.​UK.

Living in France

Page summary
Official information for UK nationals moving to and living in France need to know, including guidance on residency, healthcare, driving and the Withdrawal Agreement.

Change made
Passports and travel section updated to include information on passport validity and entry requirements when travelling to other European countries from January 2021

Time updated
12:56pm, 7 September 2020

You're getting this email because you subscribed to immediate updates to ‘Living in France' on GOV.​UK.

View, unsubscribe or change the frequency of your subscriptions

Is this email useful? Answer some questions to tell us more.

Thank you for your helpful reply.
I will continue to monitor any further posts.
Best regards
NaC