Life partener permit

Hy guys,

Me and my gf are planing to move together at her place in South Africa and i was looking in whats the best thing to do to make it happen.

I saw alot of posts with good informations but i will like to find out more about it.

Unfortunate I can't apply for a Life partener permit from my country since we never lived together so we cant provide the proof of habitation. And we where thinking in doing this way :

I shold aplly for a visitor visa for 90 days and then ask for a prelonged 90 more days, and in that mean time we will live together and start preparing the paperworks for Life Partener Permit and for a work endorsement since i will look for a job to.( shared bank account, same living place, the living agreement ).

What I want to know are 2 things :

1. If i'm on a visitor visa can I apply from SA for another 90 days or do i need to get back to my country and apply from there?
2. With the new law, the Departament of afairs ( even if i need to get back to the country to apply for the permit ) still issues the Life partener permit.

Thank you in advance.
Vasile

Hi Vasile,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope other members will be able to advise you.

Hi Neata
You dont have to leave the country after 90 days, just apply for the temporary resident permit as soon as you get in the country.
About the life partner permit im not sure
Good Luck
Dan

neata vasile wrote:

Hy guys,

Me and my gf are planing to move together at her place in South Africa and i was looking in whats the best thing to do to make it happen.

I saw alot of posts with good informations but i will like to find out more about it.

Unfortunate I can't apply for a Life partener permit from my country since we never lived together so we cant provide the proof of habitation. And we where thinking in doing this way :

I shold aplly for a visitor visa for 90 days and then ask for a prelonged 90 more days, and in that mean time we will live together and start preparing the paperworks for Life Partener Permit and for a work endorsement since i will look for a job to.( shared bank account, same living place, the living agreement ).

What I want to know are 2 things :

1. If i'm on a visitor visa can I apply from SA for another 90 days or do i need to get back to my country and apply from there?
2. With the new law, the Departament of afairs ( even if i need to get back to the country to apply for the permit ) still issues the Life partener permit.

Thank you in advance.
Vasile

Hi

It is advisable, if you have no proof of cohabitation, to come to South Africa and gather sufficient proof of a legitimate relationship.

Once in South Africa, you will receive a 90 day tourist visa, which can be extended by a further 90 days upon application to Home Affairs.

After this period you will need to submit the Life Partner application at Home Affairs (if this is still possible), or you will need to return to your home country and submit the application at the South African embassy.

If you apply at the embassy, they will probably issue a Relative's Permit. With this you can come to South Africa and apply for the Life Partner Permit and add a Work Endorsement (if you have a job offer) or Business Endorsement (if you wish to run your own business).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Joachim