How to apply for an ID?

Good Morning,

I have recently been granted a permeant residency permit and I would like to know how I apply for an ID? Does anyone have experience of how long it is taking, and do they only issue smart cards now and has that made the process quicker?

Thanks,

Chris

@ChrisZA1  Hi Chris, congrats for your PR approval. Can I pls ask for how long time did the process take from your application to approval? I have applied 3,5 years ago and still pending, no reasons given.

Hello ChrisZA1,

Congratulations on that and also thank you for sharing the good news with us.

As you can see, members will like to know how long it took them to get through the whole process. I invite you to start a new thread on the South Africa forum to tell us more about this experience. We would like to hear from you too. 1f609.svg

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Hello ChrisZa1. 

Congratulations 🎉 please can I know how long did your permanent resident took

@ChrisZA1 Hi - I'm in the same position as you and wondering if you have had any success in getting an ID? I need to apply for mine, and trying to work out the process

Thanks

Martin

@ChrisZA1hi Chris, Firstly Congratulation on your PR. To received an Identity *Permanent Resisdence Green Book) takes between 1 -3 years based on the application on receiving your Resisdency Status... for now please make copies and get them certified as you can not lose or misplaced the a4 document of your status... even when travelling you will need to produce your status card while entering the country

@Cheryl hi Cheryl, i am pleased that comments from this level enters this forum as i have been in this boat for long... i have replied to chris... and would love to give my input on those querries

Congratulations @ChrisZA1! you will need to firstly make copies and certify all your documents ( PR certificate, ur PR verification, birth certificate and passport), have two ID photos and carry all these items to your nearest DHA (preferably in the province you obtained ur residency). when u get to DHA say you are there for the booklet (yes, you will get the green id first, you have to go thru that ). Do not despair, there are no lines for that and you will be thankful for that. you will fill in the form and fingerprints will be lifted and thats it! you will be told to wait for 2 weeks and look at for the sms telling you to collect however, the sms will never come, just keep checking and the reason is that the system for citizens and PR  holders is different! My ID took 3 weeks. Good luck.

You can apply for ID at the Department t of Home Affairs. It is important to have an ID if you want to apply for the SASSA Foster grant or any other grant. Must apply for ID before applying for social grants.

You can apply for ID at the Department t of Home Affairs. It is important to have an ID if you want to apply for the [link moderated] or any other grant. Must apply for ID before applying for social grants.

-@Huxley3434
That the great method