Introducing myself and ...my problems.

Hi,

Last Wednesday I signed the Final Deed of the purchase of my property and now I am the owner of a beautiful, but in need of a complete renovation, apartment in a beautiful little town on the Lake Como.

With the first excitement, there came a feeling of a complete helplessness.  After having signed the contract, I had to go back to Wales, leaving everything as it was, with no utility contracts, no definite plans.

And now my dilemma is what should my contracts be, as I am not planning to move to Italy for another two-three years, only to spend holidays there, regularly though.

My lovely sellers asked for the Offers for me from their companies - National Electricity Service and Enel Energia SpA for the gas, and I have them with me, now translated, but I still cannot understand the  prices, now competitive they are ot whether I will be able to "pay as I go" only when I am there.

Could somebody please advise me what I shall do in the situation? What would be the cheaper contract and the provider - new or the old one changed to my name? How to arrange it the way not to pay all year round?
Please, anything you can advise me. Thanks a lot in advance.
Larissa

I would doubt there is anywhere in the world where you could connect and disconnect services on a casual basis. Certainly not an option here in Italy. The problem you will have is that even if you do connect with one of the providers they are likely to use estimated readings which will assume usage at a particuar level. To avoid this you will need to provide the actual readings, which will require you to be present to make the reading, or have someone do it for you.
For what it's worth I use ACEL for both electricity and gas, but the job was made easier as the landlord worked for them. I too am living on Lake Como, you have chosen well.

Opt for Enel Energia as the other one is going to disappear shortly.  The tariffs mean a saving of a couple of euros or less every 2 months, so dont worry about them.  You will pay for the standing charge, oneri and tasse even if you dont use any electricity.    You want to do a subentro or a voltura taking overthe old contract,  otherwise you will have to pay more.

Two things- there is a difference between resident and non-resident contracts. Non-resident contracts are more expensive. Secondly, yes there is always a standing charge, even if you use nothing. Taking over the old contracts may be more expensive, but easier. Good luck and learn some Italian!