Masks wearing

Hello. I have noticed that mask wearing is becoming very lax here in Thailand. I was in the Mall yesterday and saw many people without masks or with the mask  just hanging around there necks. Then there are the ones that cover there mouth only.  Also saw this at the dentist office. Was surprised that know one said anything.  Then I read that Vietnam got hit with a even stronger wave of the Virus.  Soon it will be in Thailand.

I think this problem is global.

Yes it's kind of sad that people get lax about wearing masks. Here in Indonesia it's the same. On weekends, especially Sundays, there are thousands of people cycling around and of course most of them do not wear masks. And so many restaurants and cafe's and bakeries have reopened and people are eating there obviously without wearing masks. Some of these places are full of customers. Most of these places should be selling takeaway only but then you have to consider that many of these businesses are fighting for their survival.

All we can do is to continue wearing masks ourselves and to keep washing our hands, using hand sanitizers and alcohol and not getting too close to crowded areas. Just take care or ourselves.

Good Advice.

thailand4me wrote:

Hello. I have noticed that mask wearing is becoming very lax here in Thailand. I was in the Mall yesterday and saw many people without masks or with the mask  just hanging around there necks. Then there are the ones that cover there mouth only.  Also saw this at the dentist office. Was surprised that know one said anything.  Then I read that Vietnam got hit with a even stronger wave of the Virus.  Soon it will be in Thailand.

What is worse is the number of Expats that complain about the wearing of masks and most of the rules that are set to stop covid19 returning.

Bazza343 wrote:

What is worse is the number of Expats that complain about the wearing of masks and most of the rules that are set to stop covid19 returning.

Much as I'm unsure masks are a great help, the things are of no harm or hardship so we might as well wear them anyway.
Indonesia is pretty strict to the point where it's impossible to get into most larger shops or centers without a mask and a temp check. People don't normally wear them when alone in the street, but why would you want to?
I did notice a small shop that allowed customers to enter without masks, but they got strict again a couple of days ago.
Of course, we also have strict laws regarding mis-information - Helpful as the idiot set that try to give out false information risk criminal action with serious penalties.
Also, I've seen coppers stopping non-mask wearers in the street to have a word or two about their behaviour. Of course, it's possible an area with a far greater covid problem than my town may not enforce presidential orders, but I would need to see pictures to be convinced.

I don't wear a mask when in a restaurant or coffee shop as the mask, my shirt, and trousers get very messy when I eat or drink with a mask on.
However, I only use places that aren't packed so I can sit away from other people.

I'm all for wearing a mask in public myself, on the train, or in a mall or grocery store.  That said if no one Thailand really does have the corona virus, which is the current understanding, not wearing a mask isn't going to bring the disease here somehow, to spontaneously manifest it.

It's my understanding that Vietnam experienced an outbreak related to illegal immigration, from people traveling to the country that shouldn't have been able to enter.  The same could happen in Thailand (if that is accurate); the borders would only be so closed, sealed relatively shut at official entry points, but there would the potential for other land or river crossings.  It won't hurt everyone to keep up some degree of protection, since we are already accustomed to this.

Everyone in Thailand is familiar with a scare around 3 weeks ago when two people who weren't quarantined with corona traveled in Rayong and Bangkok, due to limitations in restrictions for military or diplomatic visitors.  Hopefully controls are more thorough related to those types of exceptions now.  And on returning Thais, who should be quarantined, per standard process, with a certain percentage tested as having corona virus.

Keep in mind that masks are for the benefit of others, not for the benefit of the person who wears them. They also offer very little value after a distance of a few meters, so if a person is sufficiently far away from you there is little concern if they aren't wearing a mask. The biggest issue might be surface contamination, but that can be mitigated by using good hygeine practices and sanitizing your hands often.

It is helpful to remember that many find masks uncomfortable, and just as we expect others to wear masks for our benefit close up, we should also allow them the freedom to take it off when they aren't within our immediate vicinity. It is this kind of common courtesy by everyone which will result in the optimum solution.  The idea of "masks by government edict" is never going to be sustainable. We need to cultivate the idea as simple courtesy, just like taking off your shoes when entering a home.

But if you are genuinely concerned about others not wearing masks, simply affording them more space can be a very effective strategy. People have mostly grown tired of the restrictions at this point.  It is to be expected that compliance with an order will wane.