Will Singapore Become The Hong Kong Of Old?

With all that rioting and now China's decisive move, is it over for Hong Kong?  Will businesses simply move to greener pastures like Singapore?  Perhaps some already have...

I'm hopefully going to finish my Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) application as soon as I get further instructions on visiting the country but it sounds like the areas around Singapore and Malaysia might benefit down the road from this development.

What do you think?

This is not the discussion forum on political events or any such activities. If you want to discuss on political turmoil in HK then better visit that forum and check if there is any such topic in exist then you may take part.

Your profile shows that an American looking for information about Malaysia but not sure what prompt you to talk this topic in Singapore forum.

Moderated by Loïc 3 years ago
Reason : please, watch your language, thank you. Also, our Code of conduct does not allow politic debates
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Yes, you can talk in any other social sites, I have nothing to say.
No political or religious discussion in Singapore forum, please. Yes, you can post anywhere and every where but not here. This forum sometimes also monitored by ICA and MoM.

We don't want to create any issue because of your ignorance, who either doesn't know about Singapore laws or knows but wants to ignore. Good luck

VWC: Please control your words - this is not a flaming forum. I have, for that reason, asked the moderators to remove your offending post above. (And I also ask Surya to not take it personally and refrain from emotional reactions.)

Whether Singapore will benefit from Hong Kong's changes is a long-standing and often discussed topic which I can remember well from before the British handed it back to China. Then and now, some companies changed and will change headquarters from HK to SGP. Others will relish the business chances of being close to the Chinese mainland market and thus move in the opposite direction. So there surely were and will be changes in both locations (and others as well), but I have not seen a statistics analysing which place beneftet or suffered more than the other. Economies will remain in flux, that's the only certain!

I did wrongly assess his post. After read it now, I can see it was not a political discussion or opinion he wanted to discuss rather on business and economy point of view. Ignore my first post, read my view below:

My view on the ongoing issues at HK, yes, it will benefit some extent to Singapore. These two geographical locations which are apart by distance but share many common attributes. They are commerce-friendly, well articulate regulation, efficient, seemingly uncorrupt bureaucracies all of which contribute to economic prosperity. In World Bank's Ease of Doing Business ranking, Singapore comes in top 3 places while Hong Kong occupies a place in top 10.

Due to recent ongoing problems, the cash flow to many assets managed by banks and asset managers in Hong Kong may move to Singapore though not much as those assets are primarily kept there to invest into Chinese firms listed in Hong Kong market as for foreign investors, Hong Kong is the gateway of China. But, same time it gives insecurity on their investment due to mass protests which is going on for several months now.

The tourism sector would be hardest hit as many mainland Chinese people would prefer to come to Singapore (though travelling additional 4 hours is not cheap) instead visit Hong Kong.

Local residents in Hong Kong may seek alternate countries to move, if they find the new laws would hamper their freedom and way of living. But, only a handful people may move to Singapore as getting a Singapore resident status required investment in millions or a large asset transfer is required.