What would you pack if you did your move to Singapore over again?

Now that we're here in Singapore there are a bunch of things we wished we'd packed (and a few we wish we hadn't). What would you pack if you were going to do your move over again?

I wish I'd packed:

Kitchen gadgets
Running Shoes
Refills for cosmetics
Towels
Alcohol (when you move you can pay flat rates on duty and bring quite a lot)

A few things I wish I'd left behind

Roasting pan
Sweaters
Raincoat
Denim

I'd just bring an open mind and a sense of adventure.
Everything else is easily available here.

I would bring a suitcase full of CORN NUTS! JW

Totally! We did a little go-round with our group of expats here and everyone had a little mental list of things they wish they'd brought. Thought it might be fun to have a running list on here of people's suggestions. If someone had warned me my Runners were going to be double the price in Singapore I'd have made some room for an extra pair!

Oh this is such a great question for those of us who are preparing to move to Singapore soon!! I would love to see tons of posts here.  Our family of 4 will be coming over in July and I'd love to see a big list of stuff to bring and stuff not to bring.  I have already noted to bring extra running shoes, sunscreen, and facial lotions and make-ups etc..., But I look around my house and wonder about so many things.  What to bring, what to store, what to sell....Help!!!! I'm happy to see we won't need any clothes for cooler weather. What is the lowest temp. that it ever gets?? Do we even need long pants (other than for work)? Will my kids need long pants or  long sleeved shirts at all???  Will my hair dryer etc..work there or do I just buy new there or buy a plug to switch it over??? What about furniture? We will be renting in the Woodlands.

Pack your kitchen stuff but leave behind anything for a full size oven (assume your oven will be the size of a microwave). If you're got small kitchen appliances like immersion blenders make sure they are ok for 240volt and then just get cheap plug adapters. We found most kitchen stuff (unless you go to Ikea) is pretty pricy here. If you like cooking and having good quality tools, bring them.

We brought mostly summer clothes and have not yet put on jeans. I occasionally have a long sleeve shirt with me for heavily air conditioned places. Sweaters are probably overkill though you'll want one for the plane. It really won't be cool enough outside to wear pants. Ever. Our coldest night has been still pretty hot and sticky.

As for toiletries, big name drug store brands are available everywhere here for slightly higher prices. If you like anything more fancy, it's going to be quite pricy. I walked into a Sephora and noticed that everything was double what I pay at home. Stock up on expensive cosmetics, perfumes and things like that before you leave.

Furniture is pretty easy to get in Singapore and not too painful for the pocketbook. There seems to be a ton of really decent furniture on Craigslist and Gumtree probably due to expats coming and going. There are also two Ikeas and Teak is actually really reasonable and a nice thing to collect and bring home later.

We brought over all of our computer stuff and then bought a couple of power converters to plug it all into. There are lots of places that sell converters but they really aren't that cheap (and they look awful) so I wouldn't use them all over the house.

I can't for the life of me find good quality towels. Don't ask me why but I've been absolutely everywhere and they are all thin and rough. Don't put good towels into storage!

That's all I can think of for now. If you have more questions ask away! :)

typebug, thanks so much for the info. I thought for the life of me I posted a reply to you already but when I just checked I don't see it so...thanks a bunch. You have been very helpful.  I'm sure I'll have more questions as we progress on this crazy journey of moving our whole family.  Right now I'm debating on what to get rid of here in the States and what to store for our return. We are not sure how long we will be in Singapore so it is so hard to decide what to do with stuff (I'm scrutinizing all my Christmas decorations as I'm putting them away!!)
One thing that is driving me crazy,  how have you found the bugs to be?? When we visited last year we didn't see one, at all.  But now that I've been reading more online with regards to housing I've read some horror stories regarding infestations.  Not sure I'd survive that, anything but that please!!! lol

I saw more bugs in California than here. We have lived in two different well maintained buildings and really there was never an issue. In a landed house I've heard you need to be diligent with pest control. I actually haven't seen a mosquito yet either. I had a Gecko in our kitchen but that's pretty normal and they are pretty cute.

If you go to our blog I wrote a post a little while ago about things to do before moving abroad. That might be helpful for you too. Cheers!

Thanks a bunch.  I am happy to hear about the bug situation, and, I agree, geckos are adorable!! I don't mind those so much.  You've been very helpful.  When the time gets closer I may tap you with more questions!! enjoy your day.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I will check out your blog post on relocating. thanks