Immigration. District 3 HCM. Visa Extension.

So silly most of you are. This extension is for one month with the notion that after that one month you are leaving! The extension is a "courtesy" because flights are cancelled, but after this month they want you to leave. Also, my experience in D3 was the exact opposite. No govt employee has ever been nice, just nastiness and confusion. It was quite insane to see every other chair marked off / unsable with red tape. They were attempting to do distancing but yet they didn't limit the number of people in the room, so with less seats people were standing everywhere. There was no where to go. So the attempt to social distance FAILED. Plus so many people were standing around, you couldn't see the numbers at the desk for when your number was up and you should go up there. To make matters worse, falling for the letter from the American consulate and falling for the vn government to extend the visa by 30 days is our fault for being so innocent. The 30 day extension is from the date your visa expired, not from the date immigration office reopened! so mine expired on the 15th of April. I go get my one month extension back from them on May 5th and then i have 10 days to either leave or continue the stress of what to do...basically they want us gone with their actions and the visa rules that change July 1st. Of course like always it is very short sighted and they will regret it.  All expats on tourist visas will leave and they will lose revenue and then there will be no tourists to come for their 3 week vacation because of covid19. It was dumb to even do this 30 day extension, I should have gone directly to a travel agent, but because the vn government never fully tell you what is happening, I tried.

exstam1 wrote:

So silly most of you are. This extension is for one month with the notion that after that one month you are leaving! The extension is a "courtesy" because flights are cancelled, but after this month they want you to leave. Also, my experience in D3 was the exact opposite. No govt employee has ever been nice, just nastiness and confusion. It was quite insane to see every other chair marked off / unsable with red tape. They were attempting to do distancing but yet they didn't limit the number of people in the room, so with less seats people were standing everywhere. There was no where to go. So the attempt to social distance FAILED. Plus so many people were standing around, you couldn't see the numbers at the desk for when your number was up and you should go up there. To make matters worse, falling for the letter from the American consulate and falling for the vn government to extend the visa by 30 days is our fault for being so innocent. The 30 day extension is from the date your visa expired, not from the date immigration office reopened! so mine expired on the 15th of April. I go get my one month extension back from them on May 5th and then i have 10 days to either leave or continue the stress of what to do...basically they want us gone with their actions and the visa rules that change July 1st. Of course like always it is very short sighted and they will regret it.  All expats on tourist visas will leave and they will lose revenue and then there will be no tourists to come for their 3 week vacation because of covid19. It was dumb to even do this 30 day extension, I should have gone directly to a travel agent, but because the vn government never fully tell you what is happening, I tried.

I was going to say, I think it's silly that people aren't going to the travel agents.

I know you can get a much longer extension from them.

I know my agent has three-month extensions available.

Please post a follow-up about the fee (got a breakdown for a) overstay and b) the extension fee?

I was quoted $ 160 / $ 260 and $ 345 for 1,2 and 3 months.

Do regional Immigration offices exist, or will one need to go to Hanoi or Saigon?

May I go to the airport?

I'd like to know, how much one could save versus using an agent!

Thank you in advance!

KruChris wrote:

Please post a follow-up about the fee (got a breakdown for a) overstay and b) the extension fee?

Do regional Immigration offices exist, or will one need to go to Hanoi or Saigon?

May I go to the airport?

Thank you in advance!

You can save a lot doing it yourself. Basically agents and immigration are ripping people off. The law in Vietnam allows you to do it yourself, but agents and the police want to make a buck out of you. There are regional offices, my friend did hers in Ben Tre, no agent, no extra fee and no problems.

KruChris wrote:

May I go to the airport?

Thank you in advance!

I replied to someone on Facebook with similar questions.

Because the agent fee varies based on different factors, I was only able to give him the same estimates my agent gave to me:

Starting at $150 USD for a 1 month extension and starting at $250 USD

He replied: "Well when you get your facts straight, get back to me"

I recommend talking directly to a trustworthy agent.

colinoscapee wrote:
KruChris wrote:

May I go to the airport?

Thank you in advance!

You can save a lot doing it yourself. Basically agents and immigration are ripping people off. The law in Vietnam allows you to do it yourself, but agents and the police want to make a buck out of you. There are regional offices, my friend did hers in Ben Tre, no agent, no extra fee and no problems.

Was she able to get more than 1 month?

It seems that people can only get a 3-month extension through an agent

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
KruChris wrote:

May I go to the airport?

Thank you in advance!

My own VEC was extended by 6 months from the date of applying and cost $10. No vultures needed.
Marriage Cert
Passport
Proof of residence from local district officer.
Health statement.
Passport photo.

By going early it was quick and easy. The staff were also courteous. Was given a piece of paper with the fee, paid it. Done.

Indices wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

My own VEC was extended by 6 months from the date of applying and cost $10. No vultures needed.
Marriage Cert
Passport
Health statement.
Passport photo.

By going early it was quick and easy. The staff were also courteous. Was given a piece of paper with the fee, paid it. Done.

For the casual reader:

A VEC is a Visa Exemption Certificate and not any type of tourist visa, which is what is being discussed.

That's not to disparage indices well-documented successful extension of his VEC.

It's simply a totally different thing from anything being discussed in the quoted text (edit)

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

For the casual reader:

A VEC is a Visa Exemption Certificate and not any type of tourist visa, which is what is being discussed.

That's not to disparage indices well-documented successful extension of his VEC.

It's simply a totally different thing.

Now that you mention it, what happened to the dedicated VEC and marriage based TRC threads that used to be pinned to the top of the forum?  If i had to venture a guess, I would say that these threads were important to at least half of the steady contributors to this forum.   Additionally, VEC and TRC comments and questions, such as just made by Indices, end up in other threads instead of in those two threads.

Although these threads may not be of personal concern to you, maybe you could inquire with the moderators, as you seem to have their ear.

THIGV wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

For the casual reader:

It's simply a totally different thing.

Now that you mention it, what happened to the dedicated VEC and marriage based TRC threads that used to be pinned to the top of the forum?  If i had to venture a guess, I would say that these threads were important to at least half of the steady contributors to this forum.   Additionally, VEC and TRC comments and questions, such as just made by Indices, end up in other threads instead of in those two threads.

Although these threads may not be of personal concern to you, maybe you could inquire with the moderators, as you seem to have their ear.

Apparently it became unpinned. I have no clue why

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=369913

Indices wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Marriage Cert
Passport
Health statement.
Passport photo.

The health statement must be a new addition since Covid.

colinoscapee wrote:
Indices wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Marriage Cert
Passport
Health statement.
Passport photo.

The health statement must be a new addition since Covid.

Yes, I had to do one March 8 when I made a border run.  It's half a dozen health questions and your name, address, etc.  All self-check other than they took my temp at the time I turned the form in before going through immigration.

THIGV wrote:

I don't know what happened to the thread but here's my experience with the evolution of the married exemption visa and temporary resident card for posterity.

I used to have a married exemption visa. It was a passport stamp. It was good for 5 years. When I replaced my passport about 5 years ago I had to renew it in order to get a new stamp in my passport. It had been replaced by a temporary resident card. Also good for 5 years.

For both of these visas my VN wife spent about 200,000 VND and filled out a form she took to the local police every three months. I scanned the form into my PC so I just printed it out. I signed it and after the police did whatever, she took it to immigration. A week or so later I was good for another three months.

When I had to renew that in March this year it had been replaced by a passport stamp. Good for five years. But this time I have to leave VN every six months to keep it valid.

i don't have it in front of me but I believe it is also called a temporary resident visa.
I spoke to an old acquaintance in the tourist business who confirmed the new six month visa run rule.

Does anyone have information on the issuance of work permits?
I was in the process of renewing my WP, when they told me "no new work permits" (Because of Covid)
As a result, my residency card also expired, and right now, I am in Vietnam based on a working visa.
Technically, I need now a NEW WP, which is of course a different process than obtaining a renewal.
Does anyone have information, when new WP may be issued again?
Do renewals work at least?

If you're working then your employer should be looking after this.

I'm pretty sure you can renew your temporary residence visa. Lots of current info about that on this site.

Otherwise I have no idea about work permits currently other than the notion that they meant no new work permits for new arrivals. I don't believe they meant no work permits for people already in Vietnam, especially those working.

Have you approached HR? Mo matter what, they do have a role to play in order for you to get a work permit. If they won't do their part then you can't get one at all.

In any event I'm sure you'll get lots of advice here soon.

VietCanada wrote:

Do you think, I would be asking here, if my emplyer had a solution?

VietCanada wrote:

Otherwise I have no idea about work permits currently other than the notion that they meant no new work permits for new arrivals. I don't believe they meant no work permits for people already in Vietnam, especially those working.

I don't want an interpretation, what they meant. I have been working here for two years, and I don't get a new WP. They consider it new, because in the meantime my WP expired.

What I want to know is, if anyone has substantial information, if and when new WP may be available.

colinoscapee wrote:

May be easy in D3, try doing it in Ba Ria, they just tell you to get an agent and wont accept your paperwork.

What? I know a lot of the guys from Vietsovpetro and around. Ask them, it's not like this.

Martin9000 wrote:
VietCanada wrote:

It appears you don't understand.

ONLY your employer can help you.

It's technically not YOUR work permit.

It is your employer's permit to hire you.

So only your employer can help you and no amount of info or opinions we share will help you. 

If your employer is saying "no new work permits", then 1 of 2 things is likely true:

1. There really isn't anything your employer can do, based on current government restrictions.

or

2. It's possible for your employer to get a new work permit for you, but he has decided not to do it (for some reason) and he's blaming it on the government.

So it looks as if you can no longer work legally in Vietnam at this time.

They are currently issuing Work Permits. I just went and did my medical exam to get one.

cruisemonkey wrote:

They are currently issuing Work Permits. I just went and did my medical exam to get one.

So his employer is either being duplicitous or he is ignorant as to what he can accomplish now with work permits...

I was under the impression that foreigners weren't allowed to apply at the B of I for Visa Extension. It has to be done through an agent.

AmericanOG wrote:

I was under the impression that foreigners weren't allowed to apply at the B of I for Visa Extension. It has to be done through an agent.

Discussion about that is current in this thread:

expat. com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=894082

T-Troll wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

May be easy in D3, try doing it in Ba Ria, they just tell you to get an agent and wont accept your paperwork.

What? I know a lot of the guys from Vietsovpetro and around. Ask them, it's not like this.

Uhm, hello, Vietsovpetro is a Vietnamese government company, of course its easy for them.

If you dont believe it, ask one of your expat friends to lob up there and try.

Martin9000 wrote:
VietCanada wrote:

VietCanada wrote:

I don't want an interpretation, what they meant. I have been working here for two years, and I don't get a new WP. They consider it new, because in the meantime my WP expired.

What I want to know is, if anyone has substantial information, if and when new WP may be available.

So, what will this substantial information do for you?

Indices wrote:

Just returned from a trip to get a friends visa extended. Arrived 7.50am, was ushered straight in and seen in 5 minutes by a very polite clerk. She checked all paperwork ( 3 month visa had expired April 10th ) and said to return on May 5th to collect passport. She gave no indication of fee or how long the extension would be granted for saying that it was up to a more senior officer.
All very easy, hassle free and no problems. Whole process from arriving to leaving took 25 minutes.
My friend was actually stunned at how easy it was.
I have to stress that make sure you prepare all documents you need first which I had spent the last week or so doing for him. On leaving however I did notice that the numbers of people waiting had increased significantly so if you have to go then go early.
All applications are obviously based on circumstances but suffice to say that at this particular office you certainly do NOT need to spend money on agents.

Very surprised because once you hand over your passport they usher you to the pay window..

Jlgarbutt wrote:
Indices wrote:

Just returned from a trip to get a friends visa extended. Arrived 7.50am, was ushered straight in and seen in 5 minutes by a very polite clerk. She checked all paperwork ( 3 month visa had expired April 10th ) and said to return on May 5th to collect passport. She gave no indication of fee or how long the extension would be granted for saying that it was up to a more senior officer.
All very easy, hassle free and no problems. Whole process from arriving to leaving took 25 minutes.
My friend was actually stunned at how easy it was.
I have to stress that make sure you prepare all documents you need first which I had spent the last week or so doing for him. On leaving however I did notice that the numbers of people waiting had increased significantly so if you have to go then go early.
All applications are obviously based on circumstances but suffice to say that at this particular office you certainly do NOT need to spend money on agents.

Very surprised because once you hand over your passport they usher you to the pay window..

Not always the case, it depends on individual circumstances. Agreed that there is a norm but not always that simple.

Why would any government office process your visa or any other legal document for that matter without taking payment ??

Jlgarbutt wrote:

Why would any government office process your visa or any other legal document for that matter without taking payment ??

Ask them.
I have no idea and only relayed the circumstances.
Since then he has had a call to say he needs to pay a fee and can collect his visa this coming Thursday.

The official website? No cetificate? www.immigration.gov.vn or something. Nice truck, use a website one cannot reach?

Please share the VISA fees charged by the Immigration Police, not some private agency.

Perhaps I could request a little calm, please :)https://www.expat.com/en/terms.html#cgu

Providing you with a safe and friendly platform
The well-being of our members on Expat.com website is very important to us. Our core values are:

Mutual help: Expat.com is above all a benevolent platform where everyone can ask for advice and provide feedback on their relocation project.
Friendliness: We encourage friendly and sincere exchanges of information among Members.
Respect: We encourage respect among our Members.
To achieve this, we take all the necessary measures including intervening in forums, moderating contents, deleting accounts, and if we consider necessary, instituting legal proceedings.

Extensions of TOURIST VISAs, people who have done that recently, themselves. Yes, I failed to get "official" fees charged by the real mmigation police (not private agencies). The latter quoted $ 160 / $ 260 and $ 345 for 1, 2 and 3 months' extensions

Yes, I asked a friend in HCMC to find out.

He counerered with questons (German, 3 months tourist Visa) and there hasn't been an unpdate or the answer.

Can one hand an application in at HAN airport? Immigration has a counter in the Depatures hall at Noi Bai airport...

I'm sorry, this s peculiar. First, they increase prices during this crisis, then they won't publish their chages?!?

As an update to one of my previous posts my friend collected his 5 yr VEC extension today.
It was his second extension. fee confirmed as $10.
6 months granted from THE DATE OF APPLICATION , NOT from the original expiry date earlier in April.
No problems or hassles.

KruChris wrote:

Extensions of TOURIST VISAs, people who have done that recently, themselves. Yes, I failed to get "official" fees charged by the real mmigation police (not private agencies). The latter quoted $ 160 / $ 260 and $ 345 for 1, 2 and 3 months' extensions

Yes, I asked a friend in HCMC to find out.

He counerered with questons (German, 3 months tourist Visa) and there hasn't been an unpdate or the answer.

Can one hand an application in at HAN airport? Immigration has a counter in the Depatures hall at Noi Bai airport...

I'm sorry, this s peculiar. First, they increase prices during this crisis, then they won't publish their chages?!?

My agent is charging $150 (and up) for 1 month and $250 (and up) for 3 months.

I've created a new thread where we can talk further about the ins and outs of visa extensions vs a new visa (not currently available)

Visa Extension or Visa "Renewal"?

Depending on personal circumstances it's cheaper to do it yourself.

Jlgarbutt wrote:

Depending on personal circumstances it's cheaper to do it yourself.

Sure, but do "what" yourself?

You currently can't do a 3 month extension by yourself through immigration.

So if that's what someone wants, it has to be done through an agent

Correct. But do the one month extension and pay around 10USD... Sure have to do more often but the savings can be huge

Jlgarbutt wrote:

Correct. But do the one month extension and pay around 10USD... Sure have to do more often but the savings can be huge

Oh so that's the price to do it repeatedly there? I thought this was just a one-time thing they were making available? I'm asking I don't know