Visa Extension or Visa "Renewal"?

I'm not a visa expert, but I thought perhaps we could have a conversation about the difference between getting a visa extension vs a brand new visa.

*As I understand it* (apologies if it's a ramble)

Recent restrictions on exiting and reentering Vietnam have caused many people to apply for a visa extension when they might normally be getting a new visa (sometimes called a "visa renewal").

Actually it seems, it is a visa "extension" which "renews" the same, exact visa.

A new visa is just that: a totally brand new document which requires exiting Vietnam and reentry, while an "extension" allows a person to remain in Vietnam.

(A third, illegal option is often used, but I won't discuss it in my post)

We've also been talking about the prices from agents, with some people accusing the agents of inflating visa prices.

I'm definitely sure there are some agents who do that.

But remember: ANY quotes we receive from an agency are for that agency only.

We simply can't use the fees from one agency to paint a picture of what all agents are doing.

Also, it's ALWAYS more expensive to EXTEND a Visa than it is to simply purchase a NEW visa.

Think about what's being done (as far as immigration and the agent are concerned) and it's easy to understand why that's so:

The agent sponsors your NEW visa with little risk.

However, after you have been living in Vietnam and the agent sponsors your visa RENEWAL, your actions while in Vietnam COULD come into question:

Have you been working illegally or been involved in "undesirable" activities?

And why the heck do you need to have more time being a genuine tourist, if that's all you are doing?

Also, an extension (which requires extra effort by the agent than does a new visa) has the added convenience of not requiring a border run (which would be impossible under current regulations) and so the agents are well aware that they are selling the convenience of not needing to spend the time and money a border run would require.

Also, the "changes" in fees are probably not published because:

---

1. In some cases they aren't "changes".

It's always been more expensive to get an in-country extension than it has been to purchase a new visa requiring a border run.

If you've always purchased a new visa and never purchased an actual extension, then the prices quoted for an extension might appear to be inflated.

2. Visa prices (new and extensions) have always varied because of different factors, including the nationality of the applicant.

---

The added factor now is that immigration (under these special circumstances) is offering a 30 day extension (from the date of expiration) IF the Embassy/Consulate of the applicant's home nation will "sponsor" the applicant.

It would be a mistake (it seems) for anyone to confuse this with an effort to promote tourism or make it easy to be a tourist for a longer period of time.

That $10 extension is clearly (to me) intended as a stopgap measure only.

Vietnam appears to want all tourists with expired/expiring visas (which also means the loss of sponsorship) to leave the country OR contact one of their approved agents who will agree to sponsor up to a three month extension. 

It's a mistake to compare the stopgap measure of the Immigration department with the sponsorship of a visa agent for an extended period of time.

Yes, I know a lot of people just don't like it, but that's the system here.

You are definitely welcome to correct me without attacking me.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

I'm not a visa expert, but I

play one on TV.   Sorry but I couldn't resist that one.   :cheers::joking:

More serioiusly, I am certainly not going to hit all your points but there is one where I really think you are right on the money.  :top:   In particular: 

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

And why the heck do you need to have more time being a genuine tourist, if that's all you are doing?........

It would be a mistake (it seems) for anyone to confuse this with an effort to promote tourism or make it easy to be a tourist for a longer period of time.

Vietnam appears to want all tourists with expired/expiring visas........to leave the country ...........

It seemed to me, from the time I first read about it here, that the 30 day extension was a way for people to leave the country on good terms and to avoid the infamous blacklist.  Of course they could have just announced that the blacklist would not be in effect for 30 days but why they did not choose that route is another topic.

The loss of a few itinerant teachers, without proper work permits and TRC's, will be a minor loss for the country compared to reducing the liability of having persons in the country who could become infected down the road and potentially embarrass the nation.  The departure of "tourists" whose routine is càphê đá in the morning and uống SàiGòn đỏ each night will be missed even less.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

The added factor now is that immigration (under these special circumstances) is offering a 30 day extension (from the date of expiration) IF the Embassy/Consulate of the applicant's home nation will "sponsor" the applicant.

Yes, it was a stopgap measure only. As explicitly stated -
https://xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/vi/tin-tuc/ … -ch%C6%B0a

Note also this Immigration policy expired on April 30.

The $10 DIY extensions were made available after Embassies contacted immigration here to sort out the problem of “over stays.”   

That basically gives someone 30 days to get out of here........but at the time nobody knew enough about the Virus, the airlines, quarantine  & border restrictions in ongoing countries . 

My agent told me the $10 DIYs are NOT a renewal......just a bit of breathing space to avoid overstay fines & possible blacklisting.   

It's anyone's guess what happens next if the $10 DIY brigade haven't left the country after 30 days.  That'll be a new can of worms to deal with.

I'm in Nha Trang & there are many Russians stranded here that are stone motherless broke.  They are getting rice donations & in one case living 26 in one house.     It's not looking good .....they wander the streets & some are sleeping In construction sites.

I don't think Visa extension/ renewal will be on the cards for them.   One guy has already put his hand up for refugee status.

A good lawyer once said “ the best defence is poverty”.

Hi everyone,
I am looking for a trustworthy visa agency in HCMC D1. I appreciate any recommendation by PM based on own experiences.
Many thanks in advance.

Do you have a visa already ? If so what type and duration?

Jlgarbutt wrote:

It's a 3 month tourist visa I have to extend.
I have already asked my preferred agency in Hanoi. They checked and told me it is no problem to extend. But I will be in HCMC for personal reasons and have no experiences with any of the local agencies here.

3Tee wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

It's a 3 month tourist visa I have to extend.
I have already asked my preferred agency in Hanoi. They checked and told me it is no problem to extend. But I will be in HCMC for personal reasons and have no experiences with any of the local agencies here.

Doesn't your Hanoi agency operate through email and courier as well?

No need to do it through a brick and mortar store with strangers, unless you prefer to do it that way

Many thanks for all your replies and suggestions. It was very helpful.
Have a good time.

I will also need to extend/renew my visa later this month. Can you share any details about a trusted agent in HCMC ?

Hi everyone,

I would appreciate recommandation on a trustworthy visa agency in HCM.
I need to extend a 3-months single entry visa by the end of this month.
Thank you so much in advance.

Jane SNVI, find her on Facebook.

Emily Visa, also on Facebook.

Many thanks for your suggestions !👍

Just picked my 3 months extension up this morning. Took 7 days, no hassle, no worries, happy to spend 325usd.

https://i.postimg.cc/3dqTjY4P/visa.jpg

Would be happier at 100USD.. 😜
Good news though glad you got it sorted.. time for road trip ?

goodolboy wrote:

Just picked my 3 months extension up this morning. Took 7 days, no hassle, no worries, happy to spend 325usd.

I also renewed my visa , its just a stamp,(exactly  same as yours ),
Curious to know why it's not anymore a big sticker like that.
https://www.myvietnamvisa.com/media/editor/vietnam-tourist-visa.png
The girl of the agency say its because big stickers are only for 3months visa ,
So someone is saying b**** . :blink::D:dumbom:

Odd the first visa I had last year was a big stickler and that was only a month..

Nz0 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

https://www.myvietnamvisa.com/media/edi … t-visa.png
So someone is saying bulshit . :blink::D:dumbom:

Hi,
It is simply an extension of the current visa.
A new sticker would mean you get a new visa. This would be a visa renewal.
Be happy it saves space in your passport.
Best

Nz0 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

https://www.myvietnamvisa.com/media/edi … t-visa.png
So someone is saying b**** . :blink::D:dumbom:

If you in fact renewed your Visa then you did a visa extension , so you don't get a new Visa , you get a stamp that corresponds with your existing Visa.

Thanks guys for your replies.
But !
My 3 months previous visas was expired, because no renewed on time,
(700k the fine for 5days...)

so...

Whatever, there is no rules i think,
It's just about how to take much money as possible from foreigners.

They did allow a penalty free period due to the virus, i cannot remember when that ended... possibly 30th april. When did your visa expire ?

Hi, having a browse through these comments, it seems if I wanted to stay for 2 years as a tourist, I would have to "renew" or "get a new" visa every 3 months?
Is that right?

CheyneBC wrote:

Hi, having a browse through these comments, it seems if I wanted to stay for 2 years as a tourist, I would have to "renew" or "get a new" visa every 3 months?
Is that right?

It's a moving target right now but the latest information from the government is that starting in July you will have to renew every 30 days, not 3 months.

SteinNebraska wrote:
CheyneBC wrote:

Is that right?

It's a moving target right now but the latest information from the government is that starting in July you will have to renew every 30 days, not 3 months.

Short answer for CheyneBC is yes.

As an Australian citizen, you will be able to get a 3 month (90 day) tourist visa.

The problem (as SteinNebraska pointed out) is that any LENGTH OF STAY will be limited to 30 days.

At the end of your approved length of stay you will need to EITHER leave the country and reenter (requiring a more expensive multiple entry visa) OR (according to information posted elsewhere in the forum) go to immigration to have your length of stay extension (on the same visa) approved.

Since leaving the country and re-entering will likely require a new 14-day quarantine, you'll probably want to extend your length of stay in country.

I don't think agents will be able to do this for you legally, as the stated purpose of the new government restrictions is to curb illegal employment by foreigners here on Tourist status, so an actual appearance at immigration will probably be required.

When your 3 month visa expires, you would have the option of buying a new visa (requiring a border run) OR, pay for a more expensive visa extension, which would allow you to stay in country, also saving the cost and time of a border run.

I wonder if anyone has thought of this:

Will cheaper, 3 month SINGLE ENTRY visas be a thing of the past?

Would Immigration reason that one cannot assume an extension of length of stay after 30 days?

If so, would immigration then say that any tourist visa longer than 30 days MUST be the multiple entry type, since without an advance extension of length of stay, they want you prepared for a border run?

Maybe that doesn't make sense...?

around $300 seems to be the norm these days. I just got a 3 month extension... paid a little more because there was a complication of the visa expiring two days before the grace period but I got it anyway. I really don't mind... I mean, if I could go to bangkok and back like I used to, I'd wind up staying a few days and blowing about $1000 as one does living it up in Thailand, so I actually got off easy with the extent lol

I'm just wondering if the 3 month extension is a "one time only" sort of thing or if I will be able to do it again in July?

any time any official has asked me why I don't go home I simply tell them that I am safer in Vietnam. they seem to be ok with that excuse. and I am terrified of the journey... airports and airplanes are germ factories

Foreigners cannot enter Vietnam for tourism at all right now. If you leave you can't come back.

Tourist visas extensions are only for one month right now.

Vietnam – KPMG - Changes in Work Permit, Immigration Procedures

"14 February 2020

The Amended Law on Immigration for foreigners and the New Labor Code have been passed by the National Assembly of Vietnam and will take effect from 1 July 2020 and 1 January 2021 respectively. The changes concern new rules for who is entitled to a work permit exemption, the ability to renew work permits, procedures for changing visa types, and residence terms, amongst other matters."

"3. Residence Term

The Amended Law on Immigration sets out a maximum residence term of 30 days for foreign tourists down from up to 90 days under their DL or tourist visa.  However, foreign tourists may apply to extend their residency term if necessary and the relevant immigration authority will re-assess the immigration purpose of the tourist to determine whether approval to extend will be granted.
"

I was hoping to plan my trip after the new year, and hoping to be able to stay with friends.
Are the new "tourist visa rules" only in place currently because of covid-19
(meaning are they temporary and likely to change)?

Aslo, if I'm staying with friends then would I be better applying for resident visa as opposed to tourist visa?
Sounds like the best and easiest way to go is to apply for extension and pay $$$$.

I didn't plan on visiting other countries so the idea of border runs or exit and re-enrty don't really appeal.

Also, where would be the best place to "extend" visa?
Whether I must do it every 30 days or 3 months.

Seems some very shoddy, rip off places around, how do u tell the genuine ones apart?

Anyone want to share how long it took your agent to process your extension?
It's been over a week since I gave her my passport but still no news.

TomBC wrote:

Anyone want to share how long it took your agent to process your extension?
It's been over a week since I gave her my passport but still no news.

Friends of mine had to wait over two weeks.

OK thanks.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Would Immigration reason that one cannot assume an extension of length of stay after 30 days?

If so, would immigration then say that any tourist visa longer than 30 days MUST be the multiple entry type, since without an advance extension of length of stay, they want you prepared for a border run?

I doubt it because single entry DL visa holders will be able to get 30-day extensions of stay without leaving the country (assuming they haven't been in trouble with the police, or are suspected of working illegally).

CheyneBC wrote:

was hoping to plan my trip after the new year, and hoping to be able to stay with friends.
Are the new "tourist visa rules"; only in place currently because of covid-19

No, on July 1 an amendment to the law takes effect. Among other changes, tourist (DL) visa holders will only be given 30-day periods of temporary residence - length of stay - in Vietnam no matter what the length of validity of their visa. In other words, if a person enters on a tourist visa, be it: 3 months, 6 months or 1 year, they will have to either: do a 'visa run', or get an 'extension' every 30 days.

CheyneBC wrote:

Aslo, if I'm staying with friends then would I be better applying for resident visa as opposed to tourist visa?

You could enter on a business (DN) visa on the pretext you are seeking business/investment opportunities; then, the length of the visa and your period of temporary residence - length of stay - will be the same.

CheyneBC wrote:

If you're on a tourist visa, you will need an agent. Word of mouth is the best 'advertising'... tell us what city you will be in and someone will be able to recommend a reliable agent.

VietCanada wrote:

Tourist visas extensions are only for one month right now.

I have already informed you once that this is erroneous information that you are posting.

You are confusing the limits of length of stay  with the limits on the length of an actual Visa

90 Day extensions of tourist visas ARE AVAILABLE NOW for most nationalities

tommylacroix wrote:

around $300 seems to be the norm these days. I just got a 3 month extension... paid a little more because there was a complication of the visa expiring two days before the grace period but I got it anyway. I really don't mind... I mean, if I could go to bangkok and back like I used to, I'd wind up staying a few days and blowing about $1000 as one does living it up in Thailand, so I actually got off easy with the extent lol

I'm just wondering if the 3 month extension is a "one time only" sort of thing or if I will be able to do it again in July?

any time any official has asked me why I don't go home I simply tell them that I am safer in Vietnam. they seem to be ok with that excuse. and I am terrified of the journey... airports and airplanes are germ factories

So $300AUD or $300USD?
Would you say that's the "norm" for 3month extension?

cruisemonkey wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

I doubt it because single entry DL visa holders will be able to get 30-day extensions of stay without leaving the country (assuming they haven't been in trouble with the police, or are suspected of working illegally).

CheyneBC wrote:

was hoping to plan my trip after the new year, and hoping to be able to stay with friends.
Are the new "tourist visa rules"; only in place currently because of covid-19

No, on July 1 an amendment to the law takes effect. Among other changes, tourist (DL) visa holders will only be given 30-day periods of temporary residence - length of stay - in Vietnam no matter what the length of validity of their visa. In other words, if a person enters on a tourist visa, be it: 3 months, 6 months or 1 year, they will have to either: do a 'visa run', or get an 'extension' every 30 days.

CheyneBC wrote:

You could enter on a business (DN) visa on the pretext you are seeking business/investment opportunities; then, the length of the visa and your period of temporary residence - length of stay - will be the same.

CheyneBC wrote:

If you're on a tourist visa, you will need an agent. Word of mouth is the best 'advertising'... tell us what city you will be in and someone will be able to recommend a reliable agent.

Great. So I'll be in Nha Trang and am really not wanting to visit any other country so the "extension" would be the best option for me by the sounds of it.
Bit of an annoyance to have to extended every 30 days if I plan to stay a year.. but if that's the process then ok.

Also, how do I determine which visa is better suited to my intended length of stay?
Business or tourist?
Oh and how much - on average should I be expecting to pay every 30 days for extension of the visa?
Thanks in advance

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

I'm not a visa expert, but I thought perhaps we could have a conversation about the difference between getting a visa extension vs a brand new visa.

*As I understand it* (apologies if it's a ramble)

Recent restrictions on exiting and reentering Vietnam have caused many people to apply for a visa extension when they might normally be getting a new visa (sometimes called a "visa renewal").

Actually it seems, it is a visa "extension" which "renews" the same, exact visa.

A new visa is just that: a totally brand new document which requires exiting Vietnam and reentry, while an "extension" allows a person to remain in Vietnam.

(A third, illegal option is often used, but I won't discuss it in my post)

We've also been talking about the prices from agents, with some people accusing the agents of inflating visa prices.

I'm definitely sure there are some agents who do that.

But remember: ANY quotes we receive from an agency are for that agency only.

We simply can't use the fees from one agency to paint a picture of what all agents are doing.

Also, it's ALWAYS more expensive to EXTEND a Visa than it is to simply purchase a NEW visa.

Think about what's being done (as far as immigration and the agent are concerned) and it's easy to understand why that's so:

The agent sponsors your NEW visa with little risk.

However, after you have been living in Vietnam and the agent sponsors your visa RENEWAL, your actions while in Vietnam COULD come into question:

Have you been working illegally or been involved in "undesirable" activities?

And why the heck do you need to have more time being a genuine tourist, if that's all you are doing?

Also, an extension (which requires extra effort by the agent than does a new visa) has the added convenience of not requiring a border run (which would be impossible under current regulations) and so the agents are well aware that they are selling the convenience of not needing to spend the time and money a border run would require.

Also, the "changes" in fees are probably not published because:

---

1. In some cases they aren't "changes".

It's always been more expensive to get an in-country extension than it has been to purchase a new visa requiring a border run.

If you've always purchased a new visa and never purchased an actual extension, then the prices quoted for an extension might appear to be inflated.

2. Visa prices (new and extensions) have always varied because of different factors, including the nationality of the applicant.

---

Vietnam appears to want all tourists with expired/expiring visas (which also means the loss of sponsorship) to leave the country OR contact one of their approved agents who will agree to sponsor up to a three month extension. 

It's a mistake to compare the stopgap measure of the Immigration department with the sponsorship of a visa agent for an extended period of time.

Yes, I know a lot of people just don't like it, but that's the system here.

You are definitely welcome to correct me without attacking me.

Wow that's a lot of information. It's all very new to me.
Further down the thread I wrote my intention and hopeful duration of stay.
You seem quite knowing in this area.
Could u shed a little light on my questions please?
TIA

CheyneBC wrote:
tommylacroix wrote:

So $300AUD or $300USD?
Would you say that's the "norm" for 3month extension?

Everything is done in USD.

cruisemonkey wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

I'm speculating that single entry DL visas might become "unavailable", forcing people to choose and pay for the higher priced multi entry visa.

Here's a hypothetical conversation:

I: "Why did you purchase a single entry, 90 day visa? Aren't you aware you must leave the country in 30 days?"

T: "No problem. I'm going to apply for an extension of my 'length of stay' permission before 30 days is up"

I: "However the approval of your extension is not guaranteed. As I am talking to you today you must certainly be prepared to leave the country in 30 days. You will not be allowed to return using this same visa."

That's if the conversation ever gets that far.

I'm just going out on a limb and predicting that multiple-month, single-entry visas may be history soon.

USD. I've heard of people getting it cheaper, as low as 250$ but the average seems to be 100$ per month. thats through an agent. the purpose of the agent is to act as your "sponsor" and provide letter to immigration stating as such. the agents have a "relationship" with the authorities... meaning... the authorities know whats going on but ignore and just put the stamp.its costly but effective. having a sponsor is what guarantees your extension.

the whole thing has to be done in HCMC or Hanoi... so if you are in another place you need an agent with contacts or an office at either those places.

theres a LOT of chatter on the facebook groups right now because of the new thing waiving visas until june 30... i already have a visa lasting until july 24 so it doesnt affect me but its confusing the heck out of everyone else.

i did hear from a guy on one group that usually you can only do "in country 3 month extension" two times, but that that has been lifted and until things are normal again the "3 month stay in vietnam extend" is doable as many times as you want. this is just something a stranger told me, i have no corroborating source for this info so ... i dont know.

my advice would be to find a good, trusted, well reviewed visa agent who speaks english and speak with them.

the internet boards are insane with conflicting information right now and it seems like no one really knows whats going on at this point. im banking on buying another 3 month extension in july and then figuring out my next move from there.

good luck