Visa for Vietnamese girlfriend to visit USA

Anyone have a suggestion on best way for my girlfriend to secure a tourist type visa to come to US in July?  Ive been living in VN for several months teaching. I'm in my 50s and she's in her 40's. I plan on returning to the US soon and would like my gf to come experience the US for a month. Idea is to see if she/US are comparable.  If she likes US our next step would be for her to come back to US on a fiance visa.( this visa dictates we'd need to get married within 90 days of her arrival).  So,  my idea is for her to "test the water" in the US before doing the fiance visa.  So,  my question is:
What would strengthen her chance of being able to visit US in July?
July is over 3 months away.  Is this enough time to get the visa? I understand she may have to do an interview in Hanoi.
Other advice would be welcome.  My gf does have children (14 and 18 Years old) , a mother and a house here in VN.
Thanks in advance

Just based on my own personal experience applying for a tourist visa with that background will simply separate you from $165.00 and a lot of time filling out paperwork.  You really have no chance.  At all.

We had everything that you had (except one child vs two)

Qutestions were:

Do you have relatives in the US?
Who are you going to see?
Will you have a job when you return?

Sorry, denied.

SteinNebraska wrote:

Just based on my own personal experience applying for a tourist visa with that background will simply separate you from $165.00 and a lot of time filling out paperwork.  You really have no chance.  At all.

Qutestions were:

Sorry, denied.

Wouldn't having two teenage kids and a house in Viet Nam be enough to convince the authorities you have a very good reason to return to Viet Nam.

Very discouraging.  So, my gf does not have relatives in the US (low flight risk)... Is coming to US to visit me (boyfriend) and has a full time 20 year English teaching job back in Vietnam to return to.  I mentioned two kids and elderly mom plus a house in VN.  If a mature professional adult like this is denied a travel visa B1/2 to US, who is awarded this type of visa?  Sorry yours was denied.  I am going to try anyway.

How good is her English?

Very good. I know many Vietnamese English teachers struggle with English, however she speaks very well.

Maybe a service agency would help? If you want I can introduce you to my friend. I see him posting successful US visa applications on facebook everyday. He might be shows off, but you may want to try talking with him first. No harm.

Andy Passenger wrote:
schleger wrote:

If a mature professional adult like this is denied a travel visa B1/2 to US, who is awarded this type of visa?

At present probably only the white master race.

I didn't see where the OP said anything about Deutschland...

Seriously, you who so often laugh at Americans for their attitudes have no room to talk.

I recall you saying that you are a native of Germany?

Shall we compare current U.S. Visa restrictions with immigration AND emigration policies of the Fatherland between 1933 and 1945?

VanKhanh Ho wrote:

Maybe a service agency would help? If you want I can introduce you to my friend. I see him posting successful US visa applications on facebook everyday. He might be shows off, but you may want to try talking with him first. No harm.

That's a good suggestion, I think.

Hi everyone,

Please note that some posts have been removed from this thread.

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Thank you, Priscilla.  I originally posted this and saw it deteriorate.

@Schleger - I wish you luck, but I have yet to know of any couple where the VN GF was issued a tourist visa to the USA.  We tried that as well, but she was denied and despite the fact I gave her tons of documentation about myself, my employment, professional licenses and associations, properties, net worth and earnings, the U.S. Consulate refused to even review the documents. 

She was there for about 5 minutes, asked 2 or 3 questions and she offered the docs, the Consular said no, and rejected her.  My GF is a university educated professional who speaks english very well, worked for a large European Multinational for 5 years and was still under contract, brought the red books etc.  I practically lived in VN for a few years and no luck. 

We had the same idea, bring her here to the USA to see if she likes it, then decide if we want to live in the USA.  I tried really hard to get a job in VN and other East and South East Asian countries, but I have to much U.S. experience and to expensive.  Thus, we got the K-1 (first try, not a problem) and moved to the USA for now.

If you have the time and money to waste, go ahead, try it.  But do not be surprised if she gets rejected.  Good Luck.

Thank you for the valuable info!

VNDreamer - During the short,  5 minute meeting your gf had where they asked a couple of questions,   what were the questions and do you feel had you known these she could have been better prepared?

colinoscapee wrote:
SteinNebraska wrote:

Qutestions were:

Sorry, denied.

Wouldn't having two teenage kids and a house in Viet Nam be enough to convince the authorities you have a very good reason to return to Viet Nam.

I thought so. I was in the same boat.  She had a 12 year old daughter and owns her own house.  Didn't matter even the slightest bit.

Our situation was exactly that of VNDREAMER above.  Tons of documentation, good ties to VN, didn't even want to look at it.  There's no risk trying other than $165 and your time.  We just applied this past August so our application it is based on recent experience.  I'm not sure what the inappropriate posts were that were removed but I hope someone didn't take my initial response as flippant.  Far from it, just conveying personal experience.

Thanks for the info.  Yes,  I will give it a try / coin toss /. And no,  your posts were not removed it was others,  inappropriate post.  Thank again

schleger wrote:

VNDreamer - During the short,  5 minute meeting your gf had where they asked a couple of questions,   what were the questions and do you feel had you known these she could have been better prepared?

Very basic questions:

1. Why do you want to go to the USA and with who?
2. Who helped you with the visa request?
3. Where do you want to go in the USA and for how long?

That's it, nothing more.  Based on what I have experienced, it appears that the Embassy already decides before you show up whether to accept or deny your visa request.  Literally, she was there for maybe 5 minutes.  Thus, the embassy already decided to reject her before the interview.  In my legal opinion, the Consular refused to look at the documentation because there was more than enough evidence to establish that there was -0- risk of her not returning to VN. 

Finally, for the tourist visa, you are not permitted to enter the Embassy with her, she has to go alone.  For the K-1, yes, you can enter the Embassy and participate in the interview with her.

It's funny, people tout the fact that there were 105,000 tourist visas given to Vietnam and a 73% approval rate. What they don't take into consideration is what I would suspect as a huge renewal rate for existing visas vs. brand new applications.  I'd like to see the approval rate for first time applicants.

SteinNebraska wrote:

It's funny, people tout the fact that there were 105,000 tourist visas given to Vietnam and a 73% approval rate.

Who are "people"? 

The article is very helpful and explains why people are rejected for non-immigrant visas.  I now have a better understanding of what the consular is looking for and explains why my gf was likely rejected.  In a nutshell, a non-immigrant visa means you have no intent of migrating to the USA, but the consular makes the assumption that you are.  So if my gf shows up and says she wants to visit the USA with her boyfriend, what is the intent, really?  To get married someday and immigrate to the USA and thus, in the Consular's mind, she has an intent to immigrate to the USA.

https://immigrationroad.com/visa/214b-i … denial.php

I found the website link very helpful,  thank you. It is stated, the Consular people are trying to insure people are not trying to immigrate and they look for honesty. Again,  my original premise was to have my gf visit me in the US to get a feel for the country (possible K1fiancee visa next) but after reading your web link,  perhaps if we change the premise of her visit to the following perhaps she won't be seen as a risk.  She would be honest in saying the following at the interview and on the application. This is what my gf the non-immigrant visa applicant could say at the interview:
I am currently (and have been an English teacher for 20 years) in the Vietnamese public schools.
I would like to visit the USA to get a better understanding of your country for my profession.
I will be visiting and staying with some  American teachers.
Again,  gf has two children,  mother, a house and a full time job in Vietnam.
This is all true. Do you guys think this is a better approach than,  "want to visit bf in USA"? Kinda like a professional development visit.

Give it a try.  It's only a $165 gamble.  There really is no true downside other than the cost and some time.  Then you will know for sure.

Put yourself in the shoes of the interviewer.  If a VN woman says she wants to visit the USA with her USA boyfriend to visit the country to know his family, culture etc.  What do you think is going through their mind?  Exactly, once she is there, why bother with the K-1, just get married and stay in the USA, apply for the green card.  No need to return to Vietnam and go through all the red tape and waiting in VN.  Thus, in their mind, your true intent is to immigrate, even though it may not be.

Thanks for the feedback! We will try,  if denied possibly go the K1 route.

Bingo. This is an accurate definition of INA 214(b) -- "intending immigrant". The consular officer is less interested in what you're going to do in the US and is more interested in why you'll return home.

vndreamer wrote:

Put yourself in the shoes of the interviewer.  If a VN woman says she wants to visit the USA with her USA boyfriend to visit the country to know his family, culture etc.  What do you think is going through their mind?  Exactly, once she is there, why bother with the K-1, just get married and stay in the USA, apply for the green card.  No need to return to Vietnam and go through all the red tape and waiting in VN.  Thus, in their mind, your true intent is to immigrate, even though it may not be.

tgmcl wrote:

Bingo. This is an accurate definition of INA 214(b) -- "intending immigrant". The consular officer is less interested in what you're going to do in the US and is more interested in why you'll return home.

So true, and so, they'll pay a closer look on how much your girlfriend has (amex/visa/mastercard/...) (not YOUR money/financial guarantor/.... HER)
Based on the money she will show, and what she owns in Vietnam (house/car/boat/family ties/... anything that will prove she'll come back no matter what).
Then, either the interview will goes right, or either it will be "byebye and thanks for the money"

You might really consider sending 4-5000$ on her bank account if she doesn't have much... especially if she doesn't have a credit card.
Wait 3 months before printing the bank history, so they won't see the source of the income.
But keep in mind that a realistic bank history is mandatory (salary every month + pay slips if possible)

People with money/rich gets their visa in no time and without any trouble, right?
But no "rich" country want poor peoples... Sad but true. (USA, Europe, Japan, any OECD's country, ...)

By the way, don't even think about doing a visa application if you're not in a relationship since at least 1-2 years. You wouldn't be credible for the embassies... (you need to proof your relationship as well, so they can verify you're not a bad guy trying to send VN girls in USA for money too ==> pictures / loan / gift / ...)

Still, you might want to prepare the file, then have a visit to the consult for advises on your case, and show them that you're both honest and have nothing to hide.
At least you won't be a random visa request number anymore... It did work for me few months ago :cheers:

Thanks.  I am considering having gf come to US in July as she's a teacher with summers off.  Is this too soon given the above info about her needing 3 months of bank info. You suggested a $ 4-5000 balance. I will try to do but I might only have $2000. Info from my gf who looked at some Vietnamese website is a minimum of $10,000. If true our chances for a B1/2tourist visa are evaporating. I do have $10,000 but is tied up in investments and dread moving the $ into a VNese bank.   We are having the headmaster of the school she teaches at (for 20 years)  write that this US trip is a sort of professional development trip. She will have good docs on her job,  pay,  good standing,  will have job on return, etc. As mentioned, 2 kids here in VN too. Has anyone received a B1/2 visa for tourism. I does not appear these are being issued.
Oh,  she completed the application DS160 form. Now we pay the fee and are looking at interview times in Hanoi.. Wait times for interviews is 10 days according to their website..... Or should I wait until I can load $4000 into her account and wait 3 months. Or are $10,000 needed.Will that make any difference.   Any info is appreciated.  Thanks!

schleger wrote:

Or should I wait until I can load $4000 into her account and wait 3 months.

In three months you will be right up against summer vacation.  Also any last minute deposits are suspect.  I am certainly no expert on this but I would say just go with what you have.  Having two underage children still in Vietnam should be a strong  factor.

Well, it's not really a question of 10k$ / 20k$ / 3k$
It depends on what people are doing, where they're going to stay, how many days, any financial sponsor, ...
It doesn't matter if it's USA's immigration, Japan's one, Europe's one, ... they all have nearly the same exact requirements: no poor people and you must be financially independent (even with a sponsor)

If she is planning to stay in hotels, then she must have way more money than if she's going to stay in your home (as she doesn't have to pay, but it means you need to write an invitation letter + explain how you know her + history of relationship + future together)
I don't know what's the minimum amount per day needed in the USA, so you might need to have a look at your immigration website / advocate, but in Europe (depending on the country) you need a minimum around 100€ per day (+/- 115$).
The immigration of my country is expecting people to spend at least 50-60€ in a hotel, and the rest to eat/visit. Which is a realistic low-cost budget.
I know this "logic" is also used with Japan/South Korea immigration, so I guess USA do the same? It would seems legit to me...  :/

Remember that even if you do sponsor her, she still has to show a bit of money to proof her financial independence, even if you pay everything.
And so, 2-5k$ are enough if you don't go to hotels.

But of course... the more money you can show, the best.

By the way, did she ever used her passport to go outside Vietnam??? Did she ever receive a visa from any OECD's country? (that's a HUGE asset in her file...)
Any immigration problem in her life?

Remember that people from Hà Nội, Hồ Chí Minh and Đà Nẵng are eligible to a REALLY simplified visa to South Korea...
It's often an opinion for Vietnamese peoples to travel there first, then to their target country. Why? Because they've proven that they're serious peoples that can be trusted, always coming back to their country and that they won't be a problem.

No matter what, just remember that to get a tourist visa, you have to proof :
* the purpose of your trip (where/how? in a house/loan/private house...)
* the conditions of your residence (financial stuff that cover her stay, so she wouldn't be a charge to your government / insurance / ...)
* guarantees of return to your country of origin on expiry of the visa. (job/house/children/MONEY/... She should explain it in her cover letter)

As you've now understood, the real problem in your case is the 3th one.

You might consider asking advice to an advocate...
In my opinion, you should properly prepare that visa request, without rushing...
Just to make sure you do things right, to avoid a denial in her history...

It's gonna be way more difficult in your next visa request if she has been denial before...
My 2 cents...

Good luck  :top:

Let me start by saying that if she is rejected for a tourist visa, it does not mean it is a problem for the K-1.  My fiancee was rejected for a tourist visa as I previously mentioned.  When we went for the K-1 interview, yes, they asked and knew that she was rejected for the tourist visa but it was not an issue.  My perception was they wanted to see if we were going to be honest and admit she applied and got rejected.  We were asked by the 1st interviewer and the 2nd interviewer. 

There was no indication from either that it was an issue, more to see if we were going to be honest.  The 2nd interview, which is the one where they determine yes or no, lasted maybe 5 minutes and she was granted the visa, no problems.  Like I have said, I made it hard for them to say no with the proper documentation and us being together, the interviewer got to see how we interacted.

Granted, we had a lot in our favor.  For example, she was asked when was the first time I visited and when did I come back to visit her.  She stated the first time I came to VN, but then said, "he came so many times, I can't recount exactly when".  So I showed the interviewer my trips to VN, 22 in 24 months.  Of course, they wanted to see all the boarding passes etc. 

While she was looking at my docs, she continued to ask questions to my fiancee and she got stuck again.  So I kind of made a joke about it and told her she might want to think again or Mom will be mad when we get home.  So we had a good laugh and then the interviewer said, "enjoy America". 

I was shocked and yes, cried a little bit.  The interviewer smiled and did not want to see a grown man cry so she started to close the window (we were the last people to interview that day).  But I got to thank her before she closed the window and we could see her fellow interviewers in the background smiling because they knew they did the right thing.

With respect to the tourist visa, I wish you luck.  However, I am not sure that having 2 children in VN is going to help with the current Administration because chain migration is an issue and they have stated they want to reduce or eliminate it.  Thus, the interviewer may still consider that your gf is intending to migrate and bring her children.

I do not see how you are going to get around this because she has to explain her relationship with you.  I think it might be easier if she applied without you in the picture.

Very good detailed info.. Thanks!   She has traveled to ASEAN countries of S.  Korea and Thailand recently.

What I am confused about is where do I present all this supporting documention such as cover letter, my sponsor letter, proof of bank account with thousands of $, work pay check stubs,  list of children in VN,  etc.  The application form (DS160) really did not ask for this important info.  I will add $ to her bank account and she will stay with me, no hotel but I will do what you recommend in regard to adding per day/$$ to her account. If she presents all of this info on the day of her interview,  this will surely take more time than the other respondents to this thread who state the interview was over and done with in 5 minutes. Confused here.

Wow,  I am happy for you.  What a cool story.   You mentioned having boarding passes.  I guess I will need to start having to make a file documenting our growing g relationship . Thanks?

Like I said before, my GF had all the documentation and cover letter, including a penalty of perjury statement, but when she offered the documents, the interviewer refused to even look at them.  So she can take all the documentation with her to the interview, but don't be surprised if the interviewer refuses to look at it.

Yes,  perhaps me not in the pictures is best... and... She is genuinely travelling to US as a Vietnamese public school English teach on tourism out of interest in American culture to further herself,  as a professional educator. This is honest.  Questions from immigration will be - who are you staying with-answer is American teacher friend(s) .. That's the truth too. I just wish I migrations would take her word that she IS going to return home,  OMG ..Thanks for the feedback.

It's your, or more properly her call, but a drawback to the K-1 visa would be that it might preclude her ever bringing her children to the US with her.  If you marry in Vietnam and sponsor her it will take 3 years, but at least the younger son could emigrate with her.  If she comes on a K-1 visa, she can sponsor her sons with a green card but the priority position is ridiculously low.  You can't sponsor the sons except on her first entry.  To sponsor them effectively, she would need to be a US citizen which won't happen for another 5 1/2 years at the earliest.  If he sons were younger that might be a viable route but probably not in her case.

Perhaps her sons have no interest in living in the US but it is worth a thought for others who may be considering a K-1 vs spousal immigration.

So,  Visa was denied. Many of you "warned" this would happen. At $165 per applicant and 100 interviews a day, I am concerned that MY embassy is making money off this process. Anyway,  I am a bit upset cause we are respectable people who did what was required in an attempt to get a B1/2 TOURIST Visa. US Embassy should not offer this type of visa if,  as noted by many of you,  they deny them. 
So now,  I hope someone can advise me on the following,  and this thread now crosses into the "marriage"  genre:
We wanted this B1/2 visa for my girlfriend to travel to US to see US and determine if she likes it there.  Now that is not possible, I see 2 other options: the Fiance visa route where she could visit US and we'd have 90 days I'm order to get married. Then she could stay in US..... Or,  and this is where I need clarification, what if I,  US citizen marry her here in VN?   I sense it would be easier and cheaper..... Then, could she (as my wife)  simply return with me to US? I appreciate your feedback.

schleger wrote:

I see 2 other options: the Fiance visa route where she could visit US and we'd have 90 days I'm order to get married. Then she could stay in US..... Or,  and this is where I need clarification, what if I,  US citizen marry her here in VN?   I sense it would be easier and cheaper..... Then, could she (as my wife)  simply return with me to US? I appreciate your feedback.

Check all posts by vndreamer on the K-1 fiance visa.  He did it recently and knows the ropes. 

As for getting married now, you can't "simply return" to the US.  If you made the I-130 application the day after you got your marriage finalized and the documents translated, you are still looking at minimally a year and a half, if all goes as planned, before your spouse touches the ground in the US.  As one who has gone that route, I would like to strongly suggest you look seriously at the K-1 route before you commit to marriage in Vietnam.  If you do marry, the 1-130 is the only option.

schleger wrote:

We wanted this B1/2 visa for my girlfriend to travel to US to see US and determine if she likes it there.

So what if she doesn't like it there?  Would you be moving to VN even an option?  The presumption thus far has been “she will like it and then I will marry her.  She will break her visa stay by remaining in the US while the paperworks are in progress.”

I personally have known a few “friends” who have done just that, except, they charged a fee.  Now as an immigration officer, how do I know who's sincere and who are illegitimate?

May be the route of marrying her in VN and wait for 3 years to bring her to the US if that's what she wants may not be a bad idea.  It also shows commitment on both ends to immigration officer, and that you are not doing a quickie for $$.  Just saying, and not making any judgment.