Visa Extension or Visa "Renewal"?

Tommy what is your updated visa plan as July first is behind us and July 24 (my deadline as well) is fast approaching? I paid $350 last time but read here and there that $300 visa extensions are possible. Will a three month visa extension be available? If not, are we forced to renew every 30 days? What would be be the cost and for how long could we continue renewing every 30 days?
Much appreciate your help.
Jay

Old thread I know....but found it amusing I guess is the best way to put it with how some of the relatively newbies to VN use the world “always” when it comes to visas. The only “always” I have seen in the past 10 years is a state of flux. The rules always change here (and and many times from one visa issuance to the next)

Asiatics wrote:

Tommy what is your updated visa plan as July first is behind us and July 24 (my deadline as well) is fast approaching? I paid $350 last time but read here and there that $300 visa extensions are possible. Will a three month visa extension be available? If not, are we forced to renew every 30 days? What would be be the cost and for how long could we continue renewing every 30 days?
Much appreciate your help.
Jay

Please read the entire thread.

The info you seek has been posted.

As an update for anyone in a similar situation to myself, UK Citizen, came Vietnam Feb 8th through TSN on a 3 months tourist Visa :-

As of yesterday.............contacted my regular Visa agent of 14 years & asked for update on situation as of yesterday.

Question.......As of Aug 7th I will need to extend my Visa for the 2nd time, can you get me an other 3 months extension & if you can, how much will it cost?

Answer........yes, as of today's government guidance we can extend your Visa for a second time for 3 months & the cost will be 245usd

So, as for my extension date being 2 weeks + away I cant take this as gospel I have lived here long enough to know a lot can change with Visa laws etc in a week let alone 2 weeks but as for anyone looking to extend as of this week that is the guidance I have.

Amen to your wisdom to use caution. You must be one of those that know there is only one “ always” when comes to visa's here in paradise, other than it is always a state of flux. As a sidebar, it was mention several times in this thread about implications to once
“Residency”. No one here on a visa or TRC has residency. Residency became a thorny issue back in the day when we did not have to exit the country to renew our visas. The problem is with the term residency under international law. If you stay longer then 180 days you can claim residency in that country for tax purposes. Thus the thought that we “always had to leave to renew or a new visa over renewal was “alway” cheaper is rather recent. I lived here for years and never exited the country.
Personally I have never lived or visited where visa laws were so fluid. Drives me nuts. Seems one has to always check on what their next move must be even if they just received a visa.

Changes every day so it seems..
Would have thought someone as well bet as you they would just give you permission to stay indefinitely 😋

goodolboy wrote:

As an update for anyone in a similar situation to myself, UK Citizen, came Vietnam Feb 8th through TSN on a 3 months tourist Visa :-

Answer........yes, as of today's government guidance we can extend your Visa for a second time for 3 months & the cost will be 245usd

So, as for my extension date being 2 weeks + away I cant take this as gospel I have lived here long enough to know a lot can change with Visa laws etc in a week let alone 2 weeks but as for anyone looking to extend as of this week that is the guidance I have.

An update to my update, for anyone interested, I handed my passport in to the agent last Friday  :top: & the actual price I had to pay was 235usd for the second 3 months extension to my 3 months tourist visa.

looking ahead (stupid really I have lived here long enough to know things change quickly) ) I asked if there was a limit to the amount of 3 months extensions I could do on my 3 months tourist visa & her answers was.........."government guidance at the moment there is no limit, but that could change"

goodolboy wrote:

I asked if there was a limit to the amount of 3 months extensions I could do on my 3 months tourist visa & her answers was.........."government guidance at the moment there is no limit, but that could change"

It depends entirely on the COVID-19 situation. They can't limit the number of extensions while people are 'trapped/stuck' i.e. can't travel. When that situation changes (I'm not holding my breath), they will re-institute a limit on the number of extensions allowed.

goodolboy wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

An update to my update, for anyone interested, I handed my passport in to the agent last Friday  :top: & the actual price I had to pay was 235usd for the second 3 months extension to my 3 months tourist visa.

I think that's a good price, based on what my agent in Hanoi is charging; virtually in the same ballpark.

Can you do us a favor please?

Have you received your passport back yet?

It's my understanding that the only new update you will have is a new stamp:

"permitted to remain until __ __ ____" ("Được phép tạm trú đến")

Can you tell us did they give you 90 days permitted to remain or do you only have 30 days permitted to remain on your 90-day extension?

Since your transaction is taking place well after July 1st, it will confirm one way or another whether that new 30-day restriction is now being enforced.

Thanks.

This thread reminds me, need to send my wife down to immigration this month with the NA5 and $10 to get my 6 month extension on my VEC.  I'm up on September 8.  This is the first extension since I got it.  Hopefully the border opens by March 8 for a border run or they let me extend it again.

When I had a VEC you could extend it one time in country, then you had to exit and reenter for the next one. Then that routine started anew. When I first got the VEC you could renew in country always. That was very nice I must say. Good luck.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

I think that's a good price, based on what my agent in Hanoi is charging; virtually in the same ballpark.

Can you tell us did they give you 90 days permitted to remain or do you only have 30 days permitted to remain on your 90-day extension?

Since your transaction is taking place well after July 1st, it will confirm one way or another whether that new 30-day restriction is now being enforced.

Thanks.

They said 2 weeks to get the PP back & I will certainly let you know, its been on my mind that bit as well. As a point to note......to get the extension for 235usd I had to prove my residential  address. without it the charge was 255usd. Now the reason given was that with proof of residential address stamped accordingly the agent used the Hanoi Immigration to get the extension. Without it she used the HCMC immigration office to get it, they did not require it but had to pay more. Make what you can about that, but that's what she said.

Another point to note..............so time flies & its actually over 1 year since I bought this apartment, turns out I should have updated  my residential address details. Only found out cos the visa agent told us. So here we go again with the paper work, but no no, you can actually do the paper work on line now just register ….user name & password & Bobs yer uncle. Still required a trip to the local police shop with copy of PP but now online as far as I can make out because I am on a 3 months tourist visa these days I just update every 3 months with new visa or extension details.  If I have misunderstood the update every 3 months then if anyone knows different please feel free to clarify.

Yes, upon the new visa or extension. They could reduce a lot of paperwork and time by doing it each time you relocate.

.duplicate.

Ciambella wrote:
SteinNebraska wrote:

This thread reminds me, need to send my wife down to immigration this month with the NA5 and $10 to get my 6 month extension on my VEC.  I'm up on September 8.  This is the first extension since I got it.  Hopefully the border opens by March 8 for a border run or they let me extend it again.

Ours are up on Aug 20, we're doing it this Friday in Ba Ria-VT.  Initially, I planned to do it in Saigon but the ward's UBND there told my nephew/sponsor (I've never needed a sponsor before; it's awkward to use the term) that as the Covid situation has become more intense, my sudden change of address will be scrutinised, we decided to abandon the idea.

Colin's experience with Ba Ria-VT's visa policy wasn't very satisfactory, so I'm crossing my fingers, toes, and eyes hoping that the entire Immigration office there is having a tremendously good day this Friday.

You may be ok now in Ba Ria as the goal posts have moved a lot with Covid and travel being kept to a minimum.

Ciambella wrote:

Ours are up on Aug 20, we're doing it this Friday in Ba Ria-VT.  Initially, I planned to do it in Saigon but the ward's UBND there told my nephew/sponsor (I've never needed a sponsor before; it's awkward to use the term) that as the Covid situation has become more intense, my sudden change of address will be scrutinised, we decided to abandon the idea.

Colin's experience with Ba Ria-VT's visa policy wasn't very satisfactory, so I'm crossing my fingers, toes, and eyes hoping that the entire Immigration office there is having a tremendously good day this Friday.

Being Vietnamese-American and speaking Vietnamese has to go a long way for you when compared to the average foriegner.  Hoping it goes well for you.

That's why I try to not even go when my wife does mine but I may go this time in case they need something different.  For example, the time I applied for the VEC 6 months ago I downloaded the NA5 from the government website, filled it out on my computer and then printed it out and signed by hand.  They would not accept this.  They made her come home with their original blank copy and have me complete it by hand and sign by hand.  I don't know why but when she went back with that copy all was right with the world.

SteinNebraska wrote:

Being Vietnamese-American and speaking Vietnamese has to go a long way for you when compared to the average foriegner.  Hoping it goes well for you.

That's why I try to not even go when my wife does mine but I may go this time in case they need something different.  For example, the time I applied for the VEC 6 months ago I downloaded the NA5 from the government website, filled it out on my computer and then printed it out and signed by hand.  They would not accept this.  They made her come home with their original blank copy and have me complete it by hand and sign by hand.  I don't know why but when she went back with that copy all was right with the world.

Yesterday morning, UBND took less than 2 minutes to stamp our NA5 so we decided to head to Ba Ria straight away on 2 motorbikes, nephew drove my husband and his wife drove me.  With rain cloud hovered over our heads, both drivers drove like bats out of hell.  I wrapped my arms around my niece's waist but my husband, with the uptight British blood running in his vein, refused to touch any part of my nephew's body.  He held onto the seat instead, which looked uncomfortable as heck.

At the gate, he was refused the entrance.  The reason: he wore Bermuda-type shorts and that's a no no.  Didn't matter that they're dressed shorts that fell to the knees.

So, niece and I waited behind while nephew took him to a store to buy a pair of long pants.  Almost 45 minutes and 400k later, with athletic sweatpants on (which looked less dressy than the Bermuda shorts), he was allowed to enter the hallowed ground of Immigration again.

All the required documents we brought with us, they didn't want to see.  Not our marriage license, not photos. not proof of relation between my nephew/sponsor and me.  The only thing they looked at was the N5 and our passports. 

We waited for 10 minutes for the couple ahead of us (no line), and another 15 minutes for the officer to go through our records in the computer.  Then 460k (two forms) was exchanged for a receipt and it's done.  I'll return next Thursday to pick up the passports, husband can stay home wearing his shorts.

Oh, the N5 we used were not the original forms I paid for at Immigration in Saigon.  I messed them up so nephew went to the print shop to have 10 copies done.  I did fill them out by hand, all in capitals as instructed but not even half way as neat as the sample.

I realize it is off topic, but where does the Vietnamese abhorrence of short pants come from?   Does it involve Buddhism, or are short pants acceptable in Thailand or Myanmar?   Alternately could it be something learned from the French colonists.  British colonial troops in the tropics wore shorts but I can't picture the French Foreign Legion in Bermudas.

THIGV wrote:

I realize it is off topic, but where does the Vietnamese abhorrence of short pants come from?

"Properly dressed" is the requirement to enter government offices.  No shorts, no sleeveless T-shirts (don't know if it's applied to both genders). 

They're not the rules in my youth, but then again, not many people wore shorts back then.

Is no shoes OK?  I suspect it may be at least at some locations.  The whole shorts thing must have some historical antecedent.  I can't imagine it just sprung from whole cloth.

THIGV wrote:

Is no shoes OK?  I suspect it may be at least at some locations.  The whole shorts thing must have some historical antecedent.  I can't imagine it just sprung from whole cloth.

Not sure about shoes.

In re: historical antecedent, AFAIK, there isn't.  In the last 45 years, many, many, many things have come into existence in this country without any reason or explanation.  Out of whole cloth?  Definitely.  Completely.  One hundred percent made up.

Maybe Le Duan didn't like shorts.  :/:huh::mad:

Better quit now before the  :offtopic: police come after us.  :joking:

Ciambella wrote:
THIGV wrote:

Not sure about shoes.

In re: historical antecedent, AFAIK, there isn't.  In the last 45 years, many, many, many things have come into existence in this country without any reason or explanation.  Out of whole cloth?  Definitely.  Completely.  One hundred percent made up.

Some Buddhist temples in Vietnam require leg covering for men and women when they step into the main shrine.

I could see a government official deciding that his offices deserve a similar level of respect.

Removing one's footwear before entering a home or business is a common act of respect here in Vietnam.

This makes real sense.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Some Buddhist temples in Vietnam require leg covering for men and women when they step into the main shrine.

I could see a government official deciding that his offices deserve a similar level of respect.

Particularly if that government official was very swell headed.

This doesn't.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Removing one's footwear before entering a home or business is a common act of respect here in Vietnam.

My comment about shoes was that perhaps "no shoes" was sometimes allowable in the same government offices where shorts were not, but not that it would be required as in homes.

THIGV — My mistake. I thought when you said “no shoes”, you meant “Are proper shoes required? Can one wear the dreaded looking bathroom slippers when entering government offices?”

Now, I understand you meant barefoot.  No, barefoot is not allowed in offices.  Bathroom slippers and flip flops, that I don't know.

Ciambella wrote:

No, barefoot is not allowed in offices.  Bathroom slippers and flip flops, that I don't know.

I expect that pretty scruffy looking footwear is allowed as long as the pants are long.

THIGV wrote:
Ciambella wrote:

No, barefoot is not allowed in offices.  Bathroom slippers and flip flops, that I don't know.

I expect that pretty scruffy looking footwear is allowed as long as the pants are long.

I think so too.

THIGV wrote:

I realize it is off topic, but where does the Vietnamese abhorrence of short pants come from?   Does it involve Buddhism, or are short pants acceptable in Thailand or Myanmar?   Alternately could it be something learned from the French colonists.  British colonial troops in the tropics wore shorts but I can't picture the French Foreign Legion in Bermudas.

It's not just in Vietnam. The Philippines enforce the , long pants rule  , in many of their government offices also. Most often it depends on the mood of the omissions  official.

Instead of worrying about what someone is wearing, how about learning how to clean the bathrooms properly. I have been to many govt buildings and the bathrooms are a disgrace. Get over the long pants crap and learn how to clean.

THIGV wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

My comment about shoes was that perhaps "no shoes" was sometimes allowable in the same government offices where shorts were not, but not that it would be required as in homes.

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant.

I didn't mean to imply that "no footwear" might be a requirement.

I was guessing that maybe some Old School Vietnamese people walking into a government office with their legs properly covered might also kick off their sandals at the door out of habit.

I've never seen it, and Ciambella says it's not allowed (bare feet in a government office) so I guess I never will see it.

However, I wouldn't be shocked if I did...

You guys live up in the big cites. Down here in the Delta, at least at the Can Tho and Hau Giang Immigration offices its a normal practice to remove your shoes before you enter. A couple a years ago as I was going into the Hau Giang office and taking my shoes off a Immigration Officer was entering at the same time I was and he told me it wasn't necessary for me to take them off. I told him it was no big deal and appreciated his respect, but it's Vietnamese custom to do so, and I respect Vietnamese customs also. We got to be good friends as time went on, and even after I received my PRC we still keep in touch.
Rick

goodolboy wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

Thanks.

They said 2 weeks to get the PP back & I will certainly let you know, its been on my mind that bit as well. As a point to note......to get the extension for 235usd .

As promised, this came through yesterday, just gotta go pick up PP, looks like I am good til 5th November..........I think!

https://i.postimg.cc/YvxNRTSy/extension.png

Ciambella wrote:

I'm crossing my fingers, toes, and eyes hoping that the entire Immigration office there is having a tremendously good day this Friday.

Got our passports with 6-month VEC extension back.  Surprisingly, the 6 months starts from the would-have-been expiration date (Aug 20) and not the day we submitted the request (Aug 6) so that's very good.

I asked the officer what would happen if we still cannot travel by the next expiration date (Feb 20, 2021).  The answer:  we'll need to apply for a 6-month tourist visa ($35 fee) as a stopgap until all travel restrictions are lifted.  Then we can go back to use VEC again.

I don't know if that solution would help people who currently have expired visas or it's only applied to VEC holders (doesn't make sense if it is but then again, this is VN.)  Perhaps someone who is here on tourist or business visa would want to try that way (applying for extension directly at Immigration) instead of going through an agent?  If they say no, all you lose is an hour or so of your time.  If they say yes, 1/ the fee is much lower than what you would pay to an agent,  2/ you know the extension is legit.  A big win in my book.

It's bound to change by then... Also depending which person you see on any given day can make a difference.

I had my VEC but could get and edit stamp so applied for a three year TRC instead

goodolboy wrote:
goodolboy wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Thanks.

They said 2 weeks to get the PP back & I will certainly let you know, its been on my mind that bit as well. As a point to note......to get the extension for 235usd .

As promised, this came through yesterday, just gotta go pick up PP, looks like I am good til 5th November..........I think!

https://i.postimg.cc/YvxNRTSy/extension.png

The same today with me (I have the same agent than goodolboy, thanks to him) : ok for 3 months tourist visa extension without step every month. I payed 5.130.000 vnd. Extension stamped in Hanoi (my first extension, payed 7.750.000 vnd, has been stamped in Hanoi with an agent of Danang in May).

Ciambella wrote:
THIGV wrote:

I realize it is off topic, but where does the Vietnamese abhorrence of short pants come from?

"Properly dressed" is the requirement to enter government offices.  No shorts, no sleeveless T-shirts (don't know if it's applied to both genders). 

They're not the rules in my youth, but then again, not many people wore shorts back then.

Isn't Immigration a government office? I've been to immigration offices in HCM many times with shorts on and have never been refused entry. Also post offices. I don't even own any long pants.

hyagly256 wrote:

Isn't Immigration a government office? I've been to immigration offices in HCM many times with shorts on and have never been refused entry. Also post offices. I don't even own any long pants.

Are you a man or a woman?  Your bio page seems to indicate that you intend to obfuscate.

THIGV wrote:
hyagly256 wrote:

Are you a man or a woman?  Your bio page seems to indicate that you intend to obfuscate.

I'm a man! Anyway, what difference does it make with regard to the supposed unisex ban on shorts?

hyagly256 wrote:
THIGV wrote:
hyagly256 wrote:

I'm a man! Anyway, what difference does it make with regard to the supposed unisex ban on shorts?

Are you sure that women in shorts are not allowed?  Perhaps some women contributors can relate first hand experience.

hyagly256 wrote:

Perhaps you're lucky.  Before my great-nephew drove me to Immigration on Nguyen Trai St in Saigon last month, he changed into a pair of long pants.  He told me no one was allowed to wear shorts in government offices.

My nephew who is the retired Director of Tax Department in Saigon told me that even though he didn't care one way or another, visitors were turned away by his staff when they were not properly dressed.

I completely forgot about their comments when my husband and I went to Immigration in Ba Ria 10 days ago, only remembered again when he was refused entry for wearing shorts.