TRC Temporary Residence Card transfer to new passport?

Hi

I need to ask if the TRC can be transferred to a new passport please?

I have one page left on my passport and a one month business VN visa. My employer offered to help get the TRC
However

I am confused if should :
- a : Get the TRC with my current passport and then get a new passport and then transfer the TRC to the new passport
Or
-b: get a new passport (my 1month business visa will be invalidated)  and then start the TRC process?

Please advice. I really appreciate your help.

bkksaigon wrote:

Hi

I need to ask if the TRC can be transferred to a new passport please?

I have one page left on my passport and a one month business VN visa. My employer offered to help get the TRC
However

I am confused if should :
- a : Get the TRC with my current passport and then get a new passport and then transfer the TRC to the new passport
Or
-b: get a new passport (my 1month business visa will be invalidated)  and then start the TRC process?

Please advice. I really appreciate your help.

The TRC doesnt get put in your passport, it's a card. You may want to wait till you get your new passport as the TRC will only be given for the length of time left on your passport.

OK thanks

So what happens to my current one month visa if I get a new passport? 
Should I get it transferred to the new passport or should i extend it?

Youre going to need a visa that lasts longer than a month to be able to give you time to sort out your TRC, . Best you get all your paperwork sorted out before thinking about a TRC. It takes time to get all that in order. Once you have that sorted, then get a new visa in your new passport while you wait for your TRC.

Sorry what do you mean? 
If the visa expires during the TRC process it will be invalid?

My employer Said it will take only 10 days to get the TRC

There's no reason for you to wait until your passport expires before appying for a new one, is there?  I once forgone the last 8.5 months of the old passport and applied for a new one when I knew it was better for me that way.  In fact, I'll do that again in a few years because my VEC will expire a whole year before my passport will, and because I've only 5 pages left in the passport and it's only 3 years old.  Spending $110 a bit early to save some serious headache?  There shouldn't be any hesitation the way I see it.

My passport isn't expiring,  it's just that  I have one page left

bkksaigon wrote:

My passport isn't expiring,  it's just that  I have one page left

Same difference.  When you run out of pages, you have 2 choices:  stay home, or apply for a new passport.  Date of expiration doesn't matter in this case.

Before 2016, you could pay for extra pages.  Since then, you have to apply for a new passport.

bkksaigon wrote:

Sorry what do you mean? 
If the visa expires during the TRC process it will be invalid?

My employer Said it will take only 10 days to get the TRC

You didnt mention it was work related, I presumed it was the spousal TRC. I also see now that your passport has only one page left, all things that could have been mentioned in your original post.

bkksaigon wrote:

So what happens to my current one month visa if I get a new passport? 
Should I get it transferred to the new passport or should i extend it?

When you get your new passport, the consulate will give you back your old one with a hole punched in it.  That way any visas that are glued or stamped in the old passport are still valid and can be shown to authorities even if the old passport is no longer valid for travel.  You might consider using that last page for something that will take you past one month as Colinoscapee suggests, then taking it in for renewal.  The extended visa will still be valid inside the punched passport.  Once you get the TRC, you will not require a visa.

Ciambella wrote:

Before 2016, you could pay for extra pages.  Since then, you have to apply for a new passport.

You can no longer add pages, but fortunately you can now get the 52 page passport at no additional cost when you renew.  My wife just got hers new with the 52 pages at no extra cost.   There is a box to check that says "Large Book (non-standard)" near the top of the form so don't miss it.  The renewal form is DS-82.  You can download the form but they should have it at the consulate.  You cannot mail the application from overseas but must submit it at the consulate (or Embassy.)  I renewed my passport while in HCMC and the return time was very quick, about a week, which is actually a good bit faster than the service you would get from within the US.

Hi
Thanks, since the TRC has a passport number on it,  my question is
If I do it with my current passport (3. Years to expiration and only one page left)  can it be transferred to the new passport or do I have to redo it?

bkksaigon wrote:

Hi
Thanks, since the TRC has a passport number on it,  my question is
If I do it with my current passport (3. Years to expiration and only one page left)  can it be transferred to the new passport or do I have to redo it?

AFAIK you'll have to reapply for a new TRC with the new passport number on it.
In your situation it's better to get the new pp first ASAP, then ask your employer to apply for the TRC.
Once you get a new pp, just transfer your current DN Visa to your new pp. Cost of visa transfer is around $10.

Thank you,

What is AFAIK?

bkksaigon wrote:

What is AFAIK?

As far as I know ....  :cheers:

Hi,  the only question I have is:
Once I get the TRC why is it necessary to transfer the Visa to the new passport?
I believe the TRC is an actual visa on its own and I won't have to make border runs anymore once I have it.  Am I right?

bkksaigon wrote:

Hi,  the only question I have is:
Once I get the TRC why is it necessary to transfer the Visa to the new passport?
I believe the TRC is an actual visa on its own and I won't have to make border runs anymore once I have it.  Am I right?

Since I suggested you get the new PP first, then apply for TRC ....  you will have to submit your new PP (with a valid Visa on it) as part of your TRC application.

In case you tell them your old (cancelled) pp still holds a valid Visa, there's a chance that you may get heckled unnecessarily.

Years ago it happened to me once at Noi Bai airport. I got a new pp and my embassy printed on my new pp "old pp contains valid visa" and assured me "no need to transfer visa". I submitted both PPs at the immigration counter and they were suddenly confused ... finally I had to pay 20$ to get the Visa transferred to my new pp right there at the airport.

IMO It's wise to transfer your current Visa to the new pp before you submit it as part of your TRC application.

The only problem is my one month business visa expires April 24 right in the middle of the TRC process,  and so what happens in that case?

Also I think my work permit was made under true old passport. Will the company ask me to re do the WP under the new passport?

Sorry expires May 24

A few things there....
1st, company won't ask you to redo the WP. Company will (if necessary) redo it themselves.
In other words, WP is an official document that allows a certain organization or entity to hire and employ a foreign national in a legitimate way. So it's company's responsibility to update the existing WP with your new PP number.
They must do it... and in certain cases must update the Tax dept. as well.

2nd, if you can submit your TRC application successfully at least 7 days before May 24, it should be fine.  Else ... get a new PP, do a border run for another one month Visa and then ask your employer to initiate the TRC application process.