Health Check for work permit in Vietnam

I have been living in Ho Chi Minh City for some years now, and my employer just informed me that I'll have to re-do the health check-up to renew my work permit in a couple of weeks. I know that they'll administer blood and urine test, but I am wondering what these are for, and if they look for drugs, specifically for THC (admittedely I did smoke couple of joints with a friend yesterday). I did look online for info, but I found conflicting information. Does anyone have a definitive answer?

Thanks!

My understanding is they don't check for drugs.

I have been living in Ho Chi Minh City for some years now, and my employer just informed me that I'll have to re-do the health check-up to renew my work permit in a couple of weeks. I know that they'll administer blood and urine test, but I am wondering what these are for, and if they look for drugs, specifically for THC (admittedely I did smoke couple of joints with a friend yesterday). I did look online for info, but I found conflicting information. Does anyone have a definitive answer?
Thanks!
-@BillyHCMC

From Tuoi Tre News(Link), a bit dated but I believe the regimen remains the same.

That said, from what I've read the employer has the right to insist on drugs testing. The additional testing(s) would be at the employer's expense.

thanks both for the answers. Regarding the employer inisisting on drug testing, the employee should also be informed about it, shouldn't they? or is it just an agreement between the employer and the medical facility, without the employee's knowing about it.

Thanks again!

thanks both for the answers. Regarding the employer inisisting on drug testing, the employee should also be informed about it, shouldn't they? or is it just an agreement between the employer and the medical facility, without the employee's knowing about it.
Thanks again!
-@BillyHCMC

Take a look, here (Link) for a PDF of EMPLOYMENT MANUAL from the law offices of Russin & Vecchi, HCMC.

Specifically,

Section 17: Drug and alcohol testing, police and criminal background checks and general medical testing

"The employer is allowed to conduct drug and alcohol testing, police and criminal

background checks, and general medical testing of its employees. Although it is not a

common practice, an employer can include certain tests as part of pre-employment health

checks.

In a labor contract or in its ILRs, the employer may also require that an employee be tested

or investigated during the course of his employment. However, mentioning such a

requirement is not enough. In order to take action against an employee who abuses drugs

or alcohol or who has committed a criminal offense, carefully worded ILRs are required.

According to Article 126 of the Labor Code 2012, an employee who uses drugs at the

workplace may be dismissed as a form of discipline."

Hope this answers your question. Please keep us updated on how this progresses for you.

@Aidan in HCMC Thanks for all the info. I'll let you know how it goes after a couple of weeks. Cheers