Overstayed my tourist visa

I would like to have your advice, fellow expats,
I have overstayed my tourist visa for 3 days already and my flight leaving for the Philippines on Monday. What could the possible penalty fee be and is it necessary to go directly to the airport to meet the immigration and pay? Does the penalty vary from country to country? Please I need your urgent advice. Thanks

@ thepea

Here's a link that will give you some ideas about what to expect when you overstay your visa in Vietnam .

Penalty for overstaying visa in Vietnam

I'd suggest you meet the immigration officer at the airport and surrender your overstay with due apologies and pay the penalty.

Hope you understand, when you overstay your visa you are at the mercy of law and administration.
If they want, they can deport you from VN or can even put you behind bars.

My friend overstayed her visa by one week due to her company screwing up her extension. She had to pay 2 million vnd, and was verbally abused by a very irate official.

You may get a decent official at the airport who will just fine you and be done with it, most of them pay for these jobs, so they are wanting to get a return on their outlay.

It sounds like the best way out of this is to be very polite, apologise a lot, hope for a nice official, explain it was just a mistake, then pay whatever fine is imposed without too much arguing.
The link above suggests 3 days isn't likely to be a big deal and not too expensive (by law) but above posts also suggest corrupt officials could be an expensive problem.

For future readers (Too late for the OP), it's always a bad idea to overstay in any country but one with a reputation for corruption is going to be a problem.

Thanks very much for your awesome suggestions, I would then arrive at the airport very early in order to sort out issues, before flight departs, I would be posting back what ever happens for others to also learn from it

thepea wrote:

Thanks very much for your awesome suggestions, I would then arrive at the airport very early in order to sort out issues, before flight departs, I would be posting back what ever happens for others to also learn from it

Thank you for that, always good to have a follow up. Good luck, and pleasant onward travels.

I would wait to see what fine they give. Keep 1 million vnd in different pockets. Dont open your wallet they may ask for more if you have a wallet full of cash.

Thank guys once again, we have both pass immigration check point, first we showed our ticket to the lady in charge of the airlines, interestingly she checked our visa and it was expired 3 days, so she directed us to the immigration, and I approached a very young officer, he then took our passports and led us back to the airline to proceed with the process, then the guy told me to come and see him as soon as we are through, after we were done with check in, we went to look for this guy who collected the passport back and ask us to follow him, he went to leave the passport with an officer on a particular counter, and we followed the queue, it got to our turn and he smiled at me and said, he already knew my problem, so he as what happened, I told him was the fault of my agent who delayed the passports, he was interested in the money and ask me how much I had, told him 3 million dong for the two of us, and he said I should put it in the passport and give the passport back to him, and we were free to go, Thanks guys for your advice and encouragement

Thanks for the update and confirmation the advice was accurate.