Reporting 10k or more

So I know you’re supposed to report to the customs border both leaving the United States and entering into Ecuador if you have $10,000 or more in your possession  My question is does anyone have any experience with reporting that you have more than $10,000? In other words what should I bring with me other than of course the cash in case they stop and asked me questions? do I need to bring a copy of my bank statement showing I withdrew it? Is there any fines or penalties or taxes I need to pay on the cash above $10,000? What should I expect in both  leaving the US and entering Ecuador?  Also does that law apply per family or per individual can I have $9000 and my wife have $9000 and we don’t have to declare anything or does that mean we need to declare $18,000?   Any help would be appreciated

Why are you bringing in large amounts of cash? I certainly would not want to be arriving at Guayaquli airport, a fresh faced, green foreigner with thousands of dollars on me,

Apart from that, I cannot help you. I've heard aving the country is much more difficult as they don't mind you bringing money in, but not so happy for you to take it out

Well I’m not sure what you’re doing or what part of town’s you’re going into when you’re there but I’ve been to Ecuador five times and have been treated with nothing but respect and kindness so I’m certainly not concerned about anyone seeing my fresh fresh gringo walking around.  Not to mention we’re landing in Guayaquil getting in her friends car and going straight to Salinas to our house that we purchase so we try not to do any silly things in any country we go into. 😜

So I had another person DM me and scold me for the same thing (bringing so much cash into the country) so Maybe I should’ve added in my post even though I’m not sure how that’s relevant to the actual question but, I was born in Argentina grew up in Venezuela and speak perfect Spanish (I just look like I’m from Oklahoma. :).   And as I mentioned in my last reply we have been to Ecuador on five different times in the last five years (two of which we rented motorcycles) and traveled all over that country and have never been treated with anything but respect and kindness from every person we’ve met    Grant you we were not throwing our money around and exposing it to everyone and we were being smart about every place we went and everything that we did    And finally the reason why were bringing so much cash as were moving there we purchased a hotel and we are officially moving there and we have lots of things that we need to buy for the hotel so that’s the reason why we’re bringing so much cash    So thanks anybody and everybody for your concern duly noted and if someone could actually help me out with the actual question that would be awesome.  😁 gracias

Still, I'd rather take the money out from the bank here. Just go to the bank, with your passport and you can take out large sums as required without needing to use the ATM and their tiny withdraw limit.

Well I’m not sure what you’re doing or what part of town’s you’re going into when you’re there but I’ve been to Ecuador five times and have been treated with nothing but respect and kindness

Everyone is until they aren't.   Chances are you will be fine, but...

I would suspect they'll assume you're a drug dealer or some other criminal until you can show otherwise. Another issue could be corrupt agents that demand a fee or fine before passing.
Not declaring could mean a forfeit, so closely following any rules you're aware of would be advisable.

I have no experience of this, so just offering food for thought.

As already mentioned, it would be far better to arrange a cash transfer with a local bank or, as I did, load cards up and transport larger amounts of money that way. Immigration and customs won't even look, and it's far safer.