Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Município decreta situação de emergência e amplia medidas de enfrentamento ao coronavirus
All events, bars. flea mkt, malls and such closed.
Prefeitura garante funcionamento dos supermercados, postos de combustíveis e farmácias; Comércio e shoppings estarão fechados a partir de amanhã (20th)
Limited bakeries open.
Half the places in Foz are bars....
:o:dumbom:

I did my last minute shopping today before I go into quarantine. I bought all the meds
pertinent to COVID-19 including the azithromycin and oseltamivir phosphate. One back-up medication I couldn´t find in pharmacies is the sulfato de hidroxicloroquina, 200-400mg. So with Kaletra (for HIV).
I´ll try again tomorrow. Who knows.

Nobody has arthritis, malaria or lupus in Brazil? Or is it now exhausted?

robal

I also have to recharge my car battery just in case I don´t go out of isolation for months.
Just to insure the car is ready for any emergency. I also filled up the tank today...

One supermarket I went into today limited quantities on sensitive items that you can buy: arroz of 5kg, one for each customer. Feijão of 500g, 3 for each.

Long lines, some shelves empty. I took advantage for a whole salmon, jumbo shrimps
and "ovos de Pascoa." :D

Quick update on COVID-19 in Brazil:

1. There´s now 1,128 confirmed cases in Brazil:

Há casos confirmados em São Paulo (459), Rio de Janeiro (119), Distrito Federal (100), Ceará (68), Rio Grande do Sul (60), Santa Catarina (51), Paraná (43), Bahia (41), Minas Gerais (38), Pernambuco (30), Espírito Santo (26), Goiás (20), Mato Grosso do Sul (16), Amazonas (11), Sergipe (10), Acre (9), Alagoas (7), Rio Grande do Norte (6), Piauí (4), Pará (2), Tocantins (2), Mato Grosso (2). Amapá (1), Maranhão (1), Paraíba (1) e Rondônia (1).

2. 18 dead so far.

robal

robal wrote:

I did my last minute shopping today before I go into quarantine. I bought all the meds
pertinent to COVID-19 including the azithromycin and oseltamivir phosphate. One back-up medication I couldn´t find in pharmacies is the sulfato de hidroxicloroquina, 200-400mg. So with Kaletra (for HIV).
I´ll try again tomorrow. Who knows.

Nobody has arthritis, malaria or lupus in Brazil? Or is it now exhausted?

robal

None here either. I am suppose to take it once a day. The pharmacy I use said they sold in one day. They said "no idea when more coming and now need script.

Sunday´s Coronavirus cases just increased to 37% from yesterday. Individuals infected
have increased to 1,546 and now 25 people dead.

All buses halted for 10 days. Hotels closed. Policia Civil went around checking dining areas. Made some close, others had to remove tables and limit number of people.
Now set a fine (no appeal) of $R 9 mil if out and about.
I read two people in AZ took fish tank cleaner (phosphate) which had the part of the malaria drug compound thinking it was same as cloroquina.

Yeah, that seems to be true:  it was reported in the Washington Post.  They apparently didn't even have the virus, just wanted to take it as a prophylactic. 

Paranoia can be more deadly than the virus.  Fortunately, it's in our own  power to control it for ourselves, and we need to.

Yes sir, crazy stuff going on all over.
I have been pretty quiet at home only leaving it to go to the store maybe once/week. or less.
Between newscasts, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and the Internet I am entertained enough.
I hope y`all are doing well.

Yep quit watching news here. Hour after hour virus.
Everything about washing hands! I want to know how to wash face if you cannot touch it?  :unsure
thanks that it is not raining a shuts down Satellite.

As my Brazilian Better Half says, "Asking Brazilians to wash their hands is easy:  most of us already take two or three showers a day, after all.  But asking Brazilians to socially distance themselves is HARD!"  :lol:

Per the State Department's Global Level Four Health Alert, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.   

The U.S. Embassy in Brasilia would like to inform U.S. citizens in Brazil that some regularly scheduled commercial flight options remain available departing Brazil for the United States but we expect this number to decrease.  U.S. citizens who wish to return to the United States are urged to do so as soon as possible as the travel situation is evolving rapidly and flight availability is subject to change.  Domestic flight schedules within Brazil are also being reduced significantly, and U.S. citizens currently outside of the international gateways identified below should also monitor their ability to obtain a connecting flight by consulting the website of their nearest airport.   

Please see below the remaining available commercial flights to the United States that the U.S. Embassy in Brasilia is aware of as of March 24 at 5 p.m.  (Note: all flights subject to change):

·         United Airlines - Rio (GIG) to Houston (IAH) – final flight prior to route suspension is March 24. 
·         United Airlines - São Paulo (GRU) to Washington (IAD) - final flight prior to route suspension is March 25
·         United Airlines - São Paulo (GRU) to Chicago (ORD) - final flight prior to route suspension is March 25
·         United Airlines - São Paulo (GRU) to Newark (EWR) - final flight prior to route suspension is March 28
·         United Airlines - São Paulo (GRU) to Houston (IAH) - expected to continue daily service through May 3
·         Delta Air Lines - Rio (GIG) to Atlanta (ATL) - operates daily (subject to change)
·         Delta Air Lines - São Paulo (GRU) to Atlanta (ATL) – operates daily (subject to change)
·         Delta Air Lines - São Paulo (GRU) to New York (JFK) - operates daily (subject to change)
·         Azul - Campinas (VCP) to Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - schedule has been reduced to four flights per week in March and only one flight per week in April
·         Azul - Campinas (VCP) to Orlando (MCO) - schedule has been reduced to four flights per week in March and only one flight per week in April
·         LATAM - São Paulo (GRU) to Miami (MIA) - expect schedule reductions 
·         LATAM - São Paulo (GRU) to New York (JFK) - expect schedule reductions
·         LATAM - São Paulo (GRU) to Boston (BOS) - expect schedule reductions
·         LATAM - São Paulo (GRU) to Orlando (MCO) - expect schedule reductions

since the Governor of Bahia shut down the buses I cant get back to the airport at Salvador right now ...United has been trying to reroute me but they wont answer their phone ... I figure Im safer here than at home in DC anyway so ....

Yup, just got that notice here as well.
I find it annoying that my son, who was supposed to enjoy a long leave now, is stuck in a sub, somewhere in the Pacific, in silent mode.
I imagine that the silent mode is imposed just to keep the crew from getting any bad news.
TRhge stuck in a sub part, at least it keeps my boy from getting this stupid virus.
Hang in there guys.

Ron,
Submariner's are a rare breed, mostly volunteers. Thanks for his service
Probably right with the news of personnel on carriers and of ships having the virus, less is better.
Had to ferry a chopper back from Sicily to Italy. I said okay how do I get there? :o  They said "sub"!
Thank goodness it was surface all the way.
How's everyone?

Only supermarkets, pharmacies and gas stations open here where I live. All establishments closed. Any elderly found outside except buying food, medicine and gas will be fined! Schools set to reopen April 6. I highly doubt that. No martial law yet but has been considered.

Ron Pinto wrote:

Yup, just got that notice here as well.
I find it annoying that my son, who was supposed to enjoy a long leave now, is stuck in a sub, somewhere in the Pacific, in silent mode.
I imagine that the silent mode is imposed just to keep the crew from getting any bad news.
TRhge stuck in a sub part, at least it keeps my boy from getting this stupid virus.
Hang in there guys.

Sub is the ultimate doomsday shelter. They could surface anywhere where the purest air exists.

Yes Texan, he volunteered.
Just got a very short message from him today:  "Extended again.  Keep om writing.  Love all."
They must have surfaced for one minute.  At least I found a Facebook page for his sub and tonight, at 3 AM, we are going to have a town hall between the sub`s ombudsman and the parents of the crew.
I will be there.

You are right Robal, which is why I feel a bit less annoyed by the fact that my son will miss his leave to come home.  At least he is safe.

Update after 2 days (from 23Mar2020) of the Coronavirus incidence:

Confirmed cases now at 2,433 from 1,546. An increase of 57.37%!
Mortality Rate: Now at 57 from 25 2days ago. A death increase of 128%!!!

robal

Deal reached on the $2trillion rescue package. That would give $1200 for each US adult and $500 for each child. A huge rescue for businesses and furloughed workers.

Not quite that simple.  Some will get money and some will not.  We'll have to wait and see what will really happen.
Meanwhile, the politicians insist on carrying their own agenda, shame.

At least they said there´s now a deal and they just have to hammer out the legislative details. People making more than $75,000 will receive less and so forth. You make $99,000 and receive nothing. If you have a direct deposit set up with the IRS, you receive the money through that acct. Will take months for the IRS to mail checks...

We´ll see what comes next. Perhaps there would be guidance on how expats receive the
money - those without a direct deposit acct with the IRS.

Quick update on COVID-19: Now 3,000 recorded cases, 77 dead.

robal

It´s really surprising that despite the COVD-19 pandemic spread, Bolsonaro keeps appearing in public and talking to people. He is convincing governors to open establishments and do business as usual against the wish of Mandetta, the health secretary.

There are now 4 states that tend to open some of their businesses this week:
1. Mato Grosso
2. Rondônia
3. Roraima
4. Santa Catarina

Milan did that and there was a rapid rise of cases and deaths. They learned their lesson but it was too late.

Also wanting to open the lottery? Many cannot afford basic needs.
Also why no action in cleaning rivers and waters. How can we not have basic environmental regulations.
Maybe "ear mark" lottery for such?
Above my pay grade, so no idea how.
Maybe Federal work program to help infrastructure as in the FDR era?
Our city is working hard and Itaipu has established an infection disease section in one of our hospitals.

If states do follow Bolsonaro´s wish there would be waves of COVID-19 spread. As the area affected slows down, they lower their guard and go to work to pay the late bills. And as the infection incidence rise afterwards, they quarantine. As it slows down again, they go back to work as usual to again pay (more this time) late bills. Infections would reoccur and order a lockdown and so forth.

If Brazil was a totalitarian regime, this virus would be easier to control like China as it orders a relentless lockdown/quarantine. The WHOLE NATION AT ONCE! That is the only way to get rid of the virus fast.

robal

robal wrote:

We´ll see what comes next. Perhaps there would be guidance on how expats receive the

I hope they use SS system also. Being retired no taxes due or owed, so no IRS direct deposit. If coming in mail, it will be 2021 before a check and then have to get it deposited, then wired back........... :unsure

Texanbrazil wrote:
robal wrote:

I hope they use SS system also. Being retired no taxes due or owed, so no IRS direct deposit. If coming in mail, it will be 2021 before a check and then have to get it deposited, then wired back........... :unsure

That is assuming that you receive the letter with the check without your CPF on the envelope! Authorities did mention that people who receive SS pmts would receive it. SS is only on direct deposit, so I assume it´s automatic. They also suggested to file your taxes and inform your direct deposit info
to the IRS even if no projected refunds or change address with the post office if you haven´t done so.

robal

I heard that they will use the tax returns to identify the recipients primarily, but also the SS accounts of the retirees for a direct deposit.  I hope this version is correct.

Would have taxes normally filed by now but 1 investment account, no 1099 as of yet.

Johnson & Johnson said it identified a lead vaccine candidate for the coronavirus. The company noted that human testing on the potential vaccine will begin in September.

Johnson & Johnson said last January that COVID-19 vaccine would be ready at the end of the year. If it starts September it would only be ready probably end of next year.

robal

I heard of another approach to treat, not to prevent such as a vaccine. 
They are talking about using antibodies of people who were sick then recovered.
I wonder.
As for the vaccine, perhaps moving full speed they could have it ready by years` end, no?

could be , but looking at how china did lock down even as robal said even if it is just for a month or two, could get things much more resolved. but same problem in canada. to many opinions that allow for the virus to spread unfortunatly :/

My two cents for Free...the Stimuli Payment will be paid by the SS Dir Dep info as well as the IRS info those with no Dir.Dep. will have to wait and claim on 2020 taxes, one way to force filing for the little money???...

The Vaccine is 18 months off  ??? Best Guesstimate according to a Vaccine Expert" Bill Gates", remember his foundation vaccine and India...

I agree it has to be a" Total Totalitarian "Shut Down ..These Piece Meal Shutdowns, closure, quarantine are Malarkey....the Rolling Shutdowns are a Rolling Disaster for as soon as I can I will return to my home city here in Brasil...see and I am just a average Expat away from his home..I am in Brasil yet 75 kilometers away from my town..l

Everything needs to Stop at the same time or it will continue and it continues on individual look at me attitude, each city Government has a "Look At Me" attitude and it needs to be look at the "PEOPLE". ..What a Hot Mess..School's are Shut in Alaska till April 14 and have been shut since March  1, that's 45 days.....no math Wizard yet I  like numbers..the word "Quarentine means =40 days..understand. ....So Suck it up Buttercup !
it's going be a long dusty ride and Everybody  Please No Panic , No Anxiety and No Stress the World is Changing and be Ready for the " Economy Reset" wish all the best of health and remember Wealth can no buy Health

...I have been Hunkered Down and in Self Exhile since Dec 26...have a core group of 3 people I interact with daily.

Take care group..I will join in the fracas when I can share something meaningful as for now I plan on riding this out til June...
The Stimuli will be Paid According to the last IRS tax filing 2018 or 2019 and "Status" so if you had more dependants in 2018, maybe delay filing 2019......