Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

I am in Imperatriz we got our first case last week. It was a 21 year old who returned from Germany. So it was brought to our town also have heavy rains last night. Had some flooding
People here did go to grocery store in a little panic buying. Hand alcohol was missing and battery. We are in a hot climate so think we should have very low infections. We are staying home buy still visiting family.

Map update on Coronavirus Global Cases:

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps … 7b48e9ecf6

The US now has more than 4,000 cases. Many closings of establishments nationwide... Canada closed its borders (US citizens, flight crews and diplomats not included) and the European Schengen area also.

robal

Hello all,
Let me know if my American friends already receive this regularly, in which case I will stop posting:

Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Brasilia, Brazil (03/16/2020)

Event:  Effective March 17, American Citizens Services will offer emergency services only for U.S. citizens in Brazil.  Routine services not related to safety, such as passport renewals without imminent travel, are not considered emergencies and will not be scheduled at this time.

For U.S. citizens who currently have appointments scheduled March 17 or later, those appointments are canceled.  You will need to reschedule your appointment once we reopen for regular services by contacting us using the information listed below.   Please do not come to the Embassy, Consulate General, or Consular Agency.

To schedule an emergency appointment for time sensitive and urgent cases, email the closest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.  Note:  U.S. Consular Agencies in Manaus, Fortaleza, and Salvador do not issue same-day emergency passports.   

This policy, effective March 17, 2020, applies to ACS services provided at the U.S. Embassy in Brasilia, U.S. Consulates General in Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Recife, and Porto Alegre, and U.S. Consular Agencies in Manaus, Fortaleza, and Salvador.  The U.S. Embassy in Brasilia, on behalf of all Consulates and Agencies in Brazil, will notify the U.S. community once routine services are operational again. 

Actions to Take:
Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC's latest recommendations.
Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Brazil.
Visit the Department of Homeland Security's website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.

Hi Robal,
Do you know what is the equivalent of Tamiflu in the US?

Hi guys,
I can`t speak for the other states but California is going nuts.  People are buying toilet paper as if they were going on a diarrhea run for the next 5 years.
I went to the market to buy a few items this morning, as last Friday there was no place to park (so I skipped Sat. and Sun. imagining it would be worse), but still very few parking spots.
I had to buy a huge bag of rice because there was nothing else. 
The bread shelves were practically empty and I had to buy a pack of bread that was not what I wanted, even though there was a sign there that it was one pack of bread per household (not sure how this would be enforced if a family of 5 paid their bill separately).
Finally, when I paid I had to deal with some completely stupid, nonsense actions by the cashier clerk, but I bought almost everything I needed.
Stores are beginning to set a one or two hour time frame when only seniors can shop. 
My wife works at a school so she is now home,  Mt daughter works at a retail place and is not yet sent home.  My son-in-law works at Warner Bros. Productions and is home as well.
People are not ecstatic about Trump`s response.

Unfortunately it is the same here in Toronto Canada. Shelves are empty everywhere for no reason .people are legit panic purchasing and i have to hope i can get home before all international travel comes to a halt :(

Ron Pinto wrote:

Hello all,
Let me know if my American friends already receive this regularly, in which case I will stop posting:

Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Brasilia, Brazil (03/16/2020)

Event:  Effective March 17, American Citizens Services will offer emergency services only for U.S. citizens in Brazil.  Routine services not related to safety, such as passport renewals without imminent travel, are not considered emergencies and will not be scheduled at this time.

For U.S. citizens who currently have appointments scheduled March 17 or later, those appointments are canceled.  You will need to reschedule your appointment once we reopen for regular services by contacting us using the information listed below.   Please do not come to the Embassy, Consulate General, or Consular Agency.

To schedule an emergency appointment for time sensitive and urgent cases, email the closest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.  Note:  U.S. Consular Agencies in Manaus, Fortaleza, and Salvador do not issue same-day emergency passports.   

This policy, effective March 17, 2020, applies to ACS services provided at the U.S. Embassy in Brasilia, U.S. Consulates General in Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Recife, and Porto Alegre, and U.S. Consular Agencies in Manaus, Fortaleza, and Salvador.  The U.S. Embassy in Brasilia, on behalf of all Consulates and Agencies in Brazil, will notify the U.S. community once routine services are operational again. 

Actions to Take:
Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC's latest recommendations.
Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Brazil.
Visit the Department of Homeland Security's website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.

Thanks again Ron.

robal

Ron Pinto wrote:

Hi Robal,
Do you know what is the equivalent of Tamiflu in the US?

Tamiflu is the Brand Name manufactured by Roche. It comes in capsule - oral form of 30mg, 45mg and 75mg strengths. There´s also the suspension form in 6mg/ml (the ideal strength) and also in 12mg/ml.

The generic name is oseltamivir phosphate. There are many manufacturers and I´ll name 3 that produces both the capsule (all the 3 strengths above) and the suspension (only in 6mg/ml):

1. Amneal Pharms NY
2. Lupin Atlantis
3. Nesher Pharms

Hope that helps.

robal

NewBrazil wrote:

I am in Imperatriz we got our first case last week. It was a 21 year old who returned from Germany. So it was brought to our town also have heavy rains last night. Had some flooding
People here did go to grocery store in a little panic buying. Hand alcohol was missing and battery. We are in a hot climate so think we should have very low infections. We are staying home buy still visiting family.

Thanks for your input.

They just closed all the schools where I live and a neighbor said that he saw empty shelves at a nearby market. Looks like people are now alarmed.

Buying the flu shots privately is expensive. I´m bringing 2 children and their mother tomorrow for flu shots. People 60 and over is free. Govt vaccination campaign should start approx 23 March 2020. Good luck to all!

robal

Thank you, Robal, I will start my search here.
Be well,
Ron

Holy cow, Robal,
Not sure I want to go with Tamiflu.  It seems to be dangerous.
We`ll see.
Thank you anyway.

Interesting issues. I am guessing so take this with a grain of salt. It was reported the Iguacu National Park would close in the news. Local and State officials mentioned. Seems it was forgotten that National Parks are federal and the local and state could not close National Parks, so the closure was suspended. For how long, who knows?
Iguacu is the second most visited in Brazil. AR side of the falls is closed. Any tourist leaving AR to see the BR side will not be allowed to return into AR.  :dumbom:
Take care all. I ventured out last night and even though there were less people dining outside on the patios, many younger were still partying.
So on line banking and pharmacy delivering for me. Do have to get pet's annual vac's in April, I do not want pet's to be affected. Will see how vet's handle this.

Today in my town people are saying home. The interesting thing is my wife went to the grocery store hardly any one was there no problem with supplies. There doesn't seem to be panic but they are limiting people to the hospital and closing schools. One person has died in São Paulo they had diabetes and hypertension they were 62. Be safe healthy best wishes to all

Tomorrow they will officially close Iguacu Falls.
Do not think heat will keep you safe. Miami and Ft. Lauderdale closed beaches, bars and dining.
We have experienced many days in the mid 90's (always humid) and so has Paraguay. PY has closed borders, but allowing trucks to cross into Foz after they have been tested at the PY and BR borders.
Rio closed beaches.
Due to city's not have proper test equipment to date, who knows how many have not been affected and reported.

how long you figure this will all generally go on for guys ? ( in regards to the lockdown )

Hi guys,
I don`t know about Brazil but it usually follows whatever the US does.
I hear that the shutdowns here will be for two weeks   The head of the Federal CV taskforce estimates that this (the epidemic) will go on until July or August and that this is just the beginning, that the worst is ahead of us.

Ron Pinto wrote:

Holy cow, Robal,
Not sure I want to go with Tamiflu.  It seems to be dangerous.
We`ll see.
Thank you anyway.

Relax! CDC wants all patients to Tamiflu themselves. What probably scared the shit out of you are the deliriums or hallucinations, seizures, self injury and other bizarre reactions. That can happen on higher dosages and prolonged administration especially on children. The drug is now around about 20 years since 1999 and made by Roche a prestigious company. ANY medication can have deleterious side effects as it messes with the body´s physiological processes. Would the FDA sanction or permit the drug to be used on 2wk old infants, children and pregnant women if the drug is not safe enough?

This is what Roche claims  that probably can convince you to Tamiflu. This is assuming you take the medication within 48 hours of the symptoms appearing and of course you don´t have kidney and liver diseases:

1. The patient recovers one day faster than patients who do not take the medication.
2. Reduction to 44% of the chances of having pneumonia as a result of the flu.
3. Reduction of hospitalization to 63%.
4. As prophylactic measures, people who used Tamiflu had 55% less chance of getting sick after being exposed to flu patients.

Here´s a good read to support what I just said:

http://www.center4research.org/tamiflu-not-tamiflu/

Cheers!

robal

Mikeflanagan wrote:

how long you figure this will all generally go on for guys ? ( in regards to the lockdown )

I´d estimate about 2-3months....

Thank you Robal.  I have, however, been vaccinated against the flu and pneumonia.
I will check with my doctor.
Cheers.

Ron Pinto wrote:

Thank you Robal.  I have, however, been vaccinated against the flu and pneumonia.
I will check with my doctor.
Cheers.

You bet!

Well a new one for here! Was informed yesterday all elective surgeries have been canceled. I was scheduled for a minor shoulder surgery in April at a private hospital.
One 24 year arrived in Foz and became ill. After going to a SUS clinic was transferred to  the SUS hospital and found to have COVID. "Now the rest of the news", the same ambulance was used to transport to other hospitals for the day and now all 4 hospitals have responded to no elective surgeries in Foz. The SUS clinic is building a small outside tent city.
1. Any age can be affected. (Too all the spring breakers which ignored the warnings, good luck)
2. Please use distancing with others.
3. Realize what risk to you and others will be!

This will pass, but we can help reduce the exposures. No green beer yesterday for me.

P.S. All public buses here are limited to 10 people and can not sit near each other.

Yeah, Tex,
Elective surgeries canceled here as well.
I like the limit on the buses.  It may take longer, cut profits, but keep you alive.
Take care

Texanbrazil wrote:

Well a new one for here! Was informed yesterday all elective surgeries have been canceled. I was scheduled for a minor shoulder surgery in April at a private hospital.
One 24 year arrived in Foz and became ill. After going to a SUS clinic was transferred to  the SUS hospital and found to have COVID. "Now the rest of the news", the same ambulance was used to transport to other hospitals for the day and now all 4 hospitals have responded to no elective surgeries in Foz. The SUS clinic is building a small outside tent city.
1. Any age can be affected. (Too all the spring breakers which ignored the warnings, good luck)
2. Please use distancing with others.
3. Realize what risk to you and others will be!

This will pass, but we can help reduce the exposures. No green beer yesterday for me.

P.S. All public buses here are limited to 10 people and can not sit near each other.

There was a long line (private) on vaccination yesterday as I brought my comadre and the 2 kids together for the flu vaccine. People doing the "elbow bump" as they greet each other - young and old alike. R$130 a shot, the vaccine coming from Germany.

I´ve been drinking the green beer of São Patricio for 2 days in a row now at my favorite lancheria Tex.
Does relieve stress with all the activities lately! Take care all!

robal

The surge of COVID 19 could wipe out 25million jobs...

To the Treasury Secretary Mnuchin, unemployment possible to 20million...

U.S. Virus Plan Anticipates 18-Month Pandemic and Widespread Shortages
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-vi … spartanntp

My wife will be working at home as of tomorrow.
As for me, I hope the SS will keep sending my checks,

Ron Pinto wrote:

I figure that those are on autopilot, Ron.  Not to worry.  :lol:

I'm wondering whether, if that payment to every adult is approved by Congress, it'll be distributed to those of us who are already collecting through the SSA.  That would be sweet!

Phoenix Reisen's MS Amera docked in Manaus this morning, on a 99 day circumnavigation of South America.  The ship was allowed to dock and resupply, but the passengers weren't allowed to disembark, and the ship has to leave in the morning.  They probably have similar welcomes to look forward to in many of their future ports of call.  Tough time to be taking a cruise!

[email protected]

8:06 PM (2 hours ago)

to

Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Brasilia, Brazil (03/18/2020) 
  

Event:  On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post in the world of US personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19.

The government of Brazil has implemented measures to limit the spread of COVID-19.  Effective March 17, the Brazilian Ministry of Justice announced that all people in or entering Brazil must follow medical advice regarding quarantines.  Brazil is treating failure to follow medical guidelines for quarantines as a crime.  Violators, including U.S. citizens, may be subject to confinement and fines without judicial recourse.  Visit the website of Brazilian Ministry of Justice for additional information on these new measures. 

Additionally, airlines continue to reduce international services between Brazil and the United States.  Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice.  U.S. citizens who are considering returning to the United States are urged to work with their airlines to make travel arrangements while flights are still available.  Many travelers worldwidehave reported unexpected flight cancellations and limited flight availability.  If your travel has been disrupted, please contact your airline.

Effective March 16, the Embassy and its constituent posts have suspended routine consular services.  For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, email the closest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.  Note:  U.S. Consular Agencies in Manaus, Fortaleza, and Salvador do not issue same-day emergency passports. 
Email just received.
Take care

I wouldn't take a cruise even if they pay me. How about if there's a carrier on board? Incubation period can be longer to 27 days.

Texanbrazil wrote:

U.S. Virus Plan Anticipates 18-Month Pandemic and Widespread Shortages
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-vi … spartanntp

Hmmnnn...If there´s an 18 month pandemic then I´m seeing a big possiblity of a global depression. Gold and the dollar underneath your mattress would be most valuable of all. I´m going to check my bed now if the stash is still there...

robal

Ron Pinto wrote:

Not to worry Ron! Even if there´s a global depression (not a recession) and everybody is out of work, because fund managers dumped all the treasury notes at the speed of light devaluing the dollar close to zero, the US government will still print the dollars to keep its solemn promise! I´m sure they will readjust the quantity to compensate for lost buying power or switch to a new currency! If that happens it would then be THE RESET to a new world order where debts have to be written off to start anew. I´m sure the US will recover first and set the pace to the new world! Impossible? Theoretically, it could happen. All because of the Coronavirus! :D

robal

Excellent,  fact-based piece on why to practice social distancing now, without delay:

www.medium.com/@Jason_Scott_Warner/the- … 0145881993

Is the link member's only?

Texanbrazil wrote:

Is the link member's only?

No, but expat keeps replacing the at-sign with [at]. Probably necessary to copy/paste and correct.  That works.  Sorry.

Ta bom
Very interesting.