Giving a birth in Brazil

Dear all,

I am planning to give birth in Brazil. Specifically  home birth is of high value to me.

Which city in Brazil can be recommended? (for cheaper prices, or where natural and homebirth is more popular).

Can anybody advise about experienced midwifes doing homebirths?

Any input is welcome.

HI..I gave birth 8 month ago to my baby in city near to sao paulo just 45 mins away by taxi called mogi das cruzes...it is a very beautiful city and beautiful people in hospital just for maternity called mogi mater ...it is very clean hospital and every this there is perfect...its owned by Lebanese Dr called abdul he is the surgeon and you also follow up with him...regarding the prices I had a very good price because I am Egyptian he do a very good discount to Arabs...I don't know about your nationality but you can send them on their page on Instagram and get a quotation from them they are very very helpful and if u need a contact for someone there who helped me through my whole journey please don't hesitate to contact me...wish you luck

Hi @flyangel669,

We have had 2 children here in Florianópolis, Santa Catarina (a.k.a. Floripa), both natural home births. I believe Florianópolis is becoming popular for this.

There are 2 or 3 well known midwife groups here (I will share specifics with you via PM). Around a year ago it cost about $2000 - $2500 USD for a birth. The prices for both groups are about the same, so it doesn't really make sense to shop based on price. Just to note, these birthing services are not available via the public health system, so you will have to pay out of pocket. (Totally worth it.)

I've met several of the parteiras (midwives) from both groups, they are really amazing, very conscientious. I wouldn't want to trust our (future) children's births to anyone else at this point.

Florianópolis has a high quality of life for Brazil, and is one of the more expensive cities in the country. Rent has been going up here just like everywhere else. But there are both less expensive and more expensive areas, and lots of people here survive on low salaries, esp. compared to a US / EU income.

There is some crime here, but lots of people (Brazilians) that I talk to say it's like a bubble here, safer than other parts of Brazil. I would recommend it here, but obviously do your own research.

Good luck!

@nancydarweesh you just gave me hope ^_^ , is it ok to dm you once i get my visa?

Sure anytime

@haragiar is it okay if I dm you about the midwives groups you mentioned?

Dear all,
I am planning to give birth in Brazil. Specifically home birth is of high value to me.
Which city in Brazil can be recommended? (for cheaper prices, or where natural and homebirth is more popular).
Can anybody advise about experienced midwifes doing homebirths?

Any input is welcome.
-@flyangel669

Have you thought about the benefits of giving birth abroad but registering your child in Brazil? This is more beneficial in the short and long term for your child's future. It's a privilege for parents and their future child that have dual nationality but most of them aren't aware of this which is a pity.

I know both sides and can tell you from experience from friends and family that those who chose to choose Brazil over abroad and are passing (the parents and the child) through the difficulties now with all the paperwork, legalizing, bureaucracy etc, regret not haven given birth abroad and then moved to Brazil after a few months.

When your baby is born abroad it has a ''head start'' in Brazil, but when it's born in Brazil it won't have that, despite having dual nationality it will be ''another Brazilian'' in the future market for his/her study, job etc. I'm not telling you not to do it, I'm just letting you know that it's important to weigh the options for your kid's future.

Regarding Brazil and the questions you have, it's also important to know that here in Brazil there are ''professionals and Professionals'' (as the Brazilian would say), meaning that it's not easy to find A Professional that holds his name, his word and degree dear to his heart among the many that just holds their degree. I'd advice you to do a thorough background check on all the people you'll be hiring for that service, from doctors to midwives and even ask the material's brand that they'll be using.

When my cousin decided on home birth, she had an emergency plan in case things didn't go as she planned. She gave birth during the pandemic and read that the maternal mortality rate had grown with 94,4% so this alone triggered an extensive plan from whom she'd want to deliver her baby, to where the doctors would change and even the quality of the water and equipment being sterilized at her house. Despite all the scare, she still decided home birth and everything went well.

The doctor that did the procedure along with his crew, they all belonged to 1 of the best maternity hospitals in the country: Maternity Pro Matre in São Paulo because the place itself is recognized by the International Joint Commission, the main entity of quality in medical care. Because of this, the maternity only hires the best professionals and uses quality, safe and proven to work equipment. She has UNIMED as health insurance and only paid the home birth fee. She got all the names of the people involved in order to do her background check and had several talks with the doctor and midwives before the date.

If you can manage to get health insurance that covers the top tier hospitals in maternity, that'd be the best option for home birth. If not then I'd advice to chase down a doctor from the top tier hospital's maternity through social media. And regarding the price there's a saying that every single Brazilian practically swears upon ''o barato não presta''. Don't be afraid to spend a bit, the price might be high but if you find a good one and your guts says yes, go for it. It's a small price to pay for a lifelong happiness.

Hope this helps somehow and congrats on becoming a future mom and much love and peace to your family 1f917.svg1f618.svg

01/19/23 @tlacle.  In order to take advantage of Brazil's unrestricted jus soli -- the legal regime common in the Western Hemisphere but uncommon elsewhere that confers citizenship on any child born in Brazil, regardless of the citizenship of the parents, and carries the implication that the parents will be allowed permanent residence in Brazil as a result -- the child actually has to be born in Brazil.  "[G]iving birth abroad but registering your child in Brazil" is not possible -- Brazilian authorities will not register a child born to foreigners abroad as a Brazilian -- and cannot achieve the intended objective.

@tlacle can you give more insight into the "head start" you mention when having a baby abroad? My wife and I are planning to have a baby in the next year or 2, I didn't it matter much were the birth occurred. I'm American, so please, if you don't mind, elaborate why I should have the birth in America over Brasil.

01/19/23 @tlacle can you give more insight into the "head start" you mention when having a baby abroad? My wife and I are planning to have a baby in the next year or 2, I didn't it matter much were the birth occurred. I'm American, so please, if you don't mind, elaborate why I should have the birth in America over Brasil.
-@Eric Rasmussen

I think that she's just talking about the advantages of having dual nationality.  Since you're presumably an American citizen, your child born in Brazil will already have that.  Most of the people asking this question (including the original questioner, who was from Serbia) are considering "birth tourism" in order to obtain Brazilian citizenship for their child, and Brazilian residency for themselves.  That is still permitted under Brazilian law, but for it to happen, the child must be born in Brazil.

01/19/23 @tlacle. In order to take advantage of Brazil's unrestricted jus soli -- the legal regime common in the Western Hemisphere but uncommon elsewhere that confers citizenship on any child born in Brazil, regardless of the citizenship of the parents, and carries the implication that the parents will be allowed permanent residence in Brazil as a result -- the child actually has to be born in Brazil. "[G]iving birth abroad but registering your child in Brazil" is not possible -- Brazilian authorities will not register a child born to foreigners abroad as a Brazilian -- and cannot achieve the intended objective.
-@abthree

Good point and I forgot to mention that at least 1 of the parents have to be a Brazilian, because if non of the parents are Brazilian then yes, it's not possible for neither the parents or the child to be Brazilian because there is no connection. So then it's true about the ''regardless of the citizenship of the parents''. But if there is a connection, then it's possible, giving the child the same rights as any other Brazilian, regardless of place of birth or the country the child is right now.

I can say this because of my family. Mom's Brazilian, Dad's dutch and us 4 kids were born in different countries but non ever in Brazil. My parents registered us as a native Brazilian at the Brazilian consulate in Holland. We all have dual citizenship and the same rights as any Brazilian on Brazilian soil or outside. We even have more rights because we're also Dutch. So on Brazilian soil we can appeal to the Brazilian law, but also to the Dutch law if the Brazilian law is ''not working''. And vice-versa. This is one of the benefits of ''head start'' in life that I mentioned.

My parents also know a bunch of other Brazilians living in Europe and even in Aruba that did the same thing they did. Either the husband or wife (or both) were Brazilian(s), but acquired dual citizenship abroad. After that, they registered their child at the Brazilian consulate of the country they were living in. I've met a lot of ''brasileiro nato'' (native Brazilians) that have never even set foot in Brazil. Yet they're considered native because of 1 (or both) of their parents being a Brazilian and according to Brazilian law, it's their right to acquire the word ''native'' IF properly registered.

For who's interested, this is a site regarding this matter https://www.gov.br/pt-br/servicos/regis … o-exterior

01/22/23 @tlacle.  True:  there's no requirement for Brazilian citizens to give birth in Brazil; they can -- and should -- register their newborns at any Brazilian Consulate if born abroad.

@tlacle can you give more insight into the "head start" you mention when having a baby abroad? My wife and I are planning to have a baby in the next year or 2, I didn't it matter much were the birth occurred. I'm American, so please, if you don't mind, elaborate why I should have the birth in America over Brasil.
-@Eric Rasmussen

Since you're an American, can I guess your wife is Brazilian?

If not and you both want to acquire the Brazilian citizenship, then you're future baby has to be born in Brazil or else there's no way of that happening.

If so, then I can tell you the following.

Your child being born abroad will be entitled to dual citizenship according to the Brazilian government. See link --> https://www.gov.br/pt-br/servicos/regis … o-exterior  so the kid will be American (because you are) and Brazilian (because your wife is) only if the parents, or the child in the future, registers it at a Brazilian consulate or does the whole paperwork in Brazil.

The head starts would indeed be the advantages of having dual nationality such as;

• Dual citizenship acquired at the country you're living in not having to go through the whole bureaucracy Brazil offers
  • Your kid will be able to appeal to your country's law in Brazil and vice-versa if needed
  • He/she will have the same rights/responsibility as any other Brazilian living in Brazil (voting, army time etc but be aware that some you need to be in Brazil to put those rights/responsibilities in action)
  • etc etc

But also the status is carries with it. Many Brazilians idolizes foreigners to an extent that it's ridiculously easy to obtain something as a Brazilian born abroad (position for example) in comparison to a Brazilian born in Brazil. Everyone is aware of the gap in education, health, infrastructure etc that Brazil has compared to other countries, but just like these points lack improvement, same goes for their mentality, moral and ethics. And this I've only noticed after I migrated to Brazil (2 years ago).

I'll tell you about my experience as a private teacher that caters to the higher class. I remember a group I used to teach in São Paulo, an international make-up company consisting of 4 participants twice a week. After every class we would have an ''of the record'' 10-minute conversation ranging from economics, health care system to morals, ethics and why a foreign Brazilian has more advantages compared to a Brazilian born in Brazil with dual citizenship.

I remember that they all agree that stable/international companies would rather hire a foreign Brazilian for a higher position instead of a Brazilian born and raised. At some point I joked around and said ''But the foreign Brazilian could have killed someone, or just be mentally unstable popping anti-depressants everyday and get free sick days all legal where you'll have to pay for them and you won't even know''. I clearly remember them laughing and one said ''And the foreign chose Brazil of all countries to do that? Poor him'' and then continued to explain their point of view.

I even went further and said that those with dual citizenship normally have more values even if they were born and raised in Brazil. ''They're still born here and received a Brazilian education and environment. We don't prioritize foreign Brazilians only because they don't have Brazilian roots, but also because we as an international company need those that can handle strict policies and time has shown that they can. Companies of scale, they all do that. We don't venture with hiring, but only with country'', is what they all agreed upon.

The smack in the face was when one of them said ''We chose you for your background, while there were others that had more experience and maybe even more qualified. There's no growth for us if we chose them over you''. That's when I noticed that there is a major gap in other areas and that I was either naive or dumb into thinking that everybody gets treated equally, even though we're all different.

All in all, I'm not saying it's a bad idea giving birth in Brazil. I just think it's important to search as much as you can about the advantages and disadvantages of both country. My parents did their homework and while my mom was pregnant they decided that giving birth to their 1st child would be more beneficial abroad instead of Brazil. 11 Years later they were still convinced of their decision that they they gave birth to the last child. It's all about what's best of you and your family.

Hope this helped 1f917.svg

@haragiar will you share the names of the midwives groups with me via pm please?

@flyangel669 how did the birth end up being? are you happy you chose brazil? which city did you choose? can you provide any feedback for us? Thanks

@nancydarweesh I just read your msg, I would like to have his details so I can write them,we are Africans but we live and work in dubai, we want to have our baby in Brazil. Thank you.

@nancydarweesh hello.just going through the comments now and I find your comment so helpful.can you please share me the name of the doctor or hospital on instagram so I can send a msg to them and know how much it will cost me.am coming to Brazil next month.Thanks in anticipation

Hello

Can you recommend the top and best hospital in Brazil in terms if clenaliness, latest equipments, friendliness, service, baby care... ? and how much would it cost me a C-Section?

on the other hand, how much should we consider to live approximately 2months for a family of 4? What would be our cost of living per month?

Thank you