Giving birth in Florianopolis

Hi,

We are going to Florianopolis in few days to give birth to our child. (We expect early July)
1-Can you suggest me good hospitals? (good service and not expensive) I want to know how much will it roughly cost?
2-Can you recommend a doctor or tell me how to find a doctor?
3-Is it possible to buy a car while we are on a tourist visa?
4-How much is monthly rate for a flat with 2 bedrooms ?( roughly )

Nobody to help here ? :sosad:

Hi.
I am in floripa. There is good hospital in floripa for baby birt and it's name is Maternidade Carmela Dutra. It is nice and good.
Have a safe birth.
Regards

hello everybody.
could you please help me to get some information ?
i will appreciate and  i would be grateful  if you help me
we decided to devilry our baby in Florianpolis and we need some information about procedure to admit in the good and affordable hospital.
could you tell me how much does it cost in public hospital?
can we deliver our baby in public hospital as regards we are a tourist or we have to go to the privet hospital?and how long does it take after giving birth that we can come back to our country?
please help me we don't have enough time to decision
thanks a lot especially from  NASIR_ACC80

Nazli&Nelly wrote:

Hi,

We are going to Florianopolis in few days to give birth to our child. (We expect early July)
1-Can you suggest me good hospitals? (good service and not expensive) I want to know how much will it roughly cost?
2-Can you recommend a doctor or tell me how to find a doctor?
3-Is it possible to buy a car while we are on a tourist visa?
4-How much is monthly rate for a flat with 2 bedrooms ?( roughly )

HELLO DEAR, how are you? 2 years later :) so did you gave birth in floripa?

nasir_acc80 wrote:

Hi.
I am in floripa. There is good hospital in floripa for baby birt and it's name is Maternidade Carmela Dutra. It is nice and good.
Have a safe birth.
Regards

Are you still in floripa now?

Hi my wife lost access to her account (Nazli & Neli) , we are in Floripa already,yes she gave birth here in Floripa

Hi there..
I am planning to travel to florianopolis as tourist to give birth.
Could you help me some details about the hospital and affordable cost so that I can start saving.

Thank you

Hi I would be happy if I can do any help, keep in touch
All the hospitals are good, public hospitals are free and private hospitals I guess will charge 3000USD , but this is based on prices from 3 years ago

Assalamualaikum Hussein,

I have some questions and  will really appreciate it if you can help me answering it.

What how much does it cost giving birth in private hospital or public?

How much your cost of living there?

What are the requirements needed for applying baby's passport?

Can you recommend a good hospital to give birth?

I am an expecting mom this coming April 2022 and planning to travel there in Florianopolis this month. I don't have any idea how to start. As a Filipino I just know that I am visa free and nothing else.

Thanks

Hi
I can provide some information.
1. Public hospitals are free of charge, you have to apply for cpf first. In some cases it takes a day and in some 4 to 7 days but its simple and easy. Depends where you are applying.
2. Cost of living is same as of the Philippines. 2 bedroom apartment in centro will cost more or less $300 and in suburbs around $120 to 200.
3. Baby's passport: birth certificate, parents documents and cpf etc. You dont need anything from the Philippines for your baby's passport.

Public hospitals are good so there is no need to go to private hospitals.
Just reach here as soon as possible so that you can have at least 2 check ups at public hospitals so that everything would be smooth by all means.
Yes you can get  90 days upon arrival.
For your P.R you need NBI clearance and birth certificate authenticated or Red Ribbon by DFA.
I hope, I have answered all. If need any more info, I ll be happy to provide.

Regards

Dear Toks,

MHSPCZONE already answered the most important questions, but about cost of living I do not agree, a nice furnished apartment will cost more than 300$ even in suburbs, with that cost you cannot rent furnished apartment which in your case for short stay is required, and because you are going to stay shortly and not going to rent annualy, it can raise a little bit more, think of 400-700$ so you will not get surprised
Public hospitals are good here, and If they did not change the rule because of Covid, you can have a visit as well

Best

Salam alykom Toks

Have you already gone through your birth in florianopolis?
Any update?

Do let me know.

Thank you.

Ahh I see so I will be much preferable in Public hospita since its free and as long as it is safe.. Can you guide me few public hospital names so I can do research.
I am planning to travel by april since my expectation is on June

Thank you.

Really appreciate it.

Hi,
Public hospitals for maternity in Floripa are University hospital and Carmela Dutra

I cannot say if this will happen, but a few years back a few ladies in their last trimester were refused entry. They did not have proof of funds to have a child on a tourist visa.
Advising the PF you plan to use SUS will raise a red flag. No way to avoid the questions as to giving birth with a due date so soon.
I would have proof of funds and lodging reservations, Check with your airline as to conditions it requires.
It is not illegal to give birth in BR, but the SUS is very near capacity again.
You will need CPF and SUS cards.

Tourist visas are not eligible for sus. It's all out of pocket. And this is only going on experience. Things may be different now. At any point like what Tex said they can refuse entry or service in public hospitals. One thing is planning a birth. Another is keeping in mind not to burden taxpayers in another country

We entered in late 2018 clearly 7 months pregnant on a tourist visa. It was an e-visa which was still a thing back then. There were no issues with entry, but we came from a stable 1st world country.

But we didn't and wouldn't dream of using the SUS (public hospitals). Florianópolis is well known in the home birthing scene and we used a great midwife group for our home birth. It was and still is around $2000 USD to have a baby this way, plus a bit more for the pre-natal consultations.

I wouldn't recommend anyone come here to give birth without sufficient funds, for both childbirth and any unexpected expenses. It is more expensive here than anyone might imagine if you want to maintain a 1st world lifestyle.

To my knowledge which just updated yesterday they do not refuse giving birth in public hospitals in Florianopolis, however it can make taxpayeres including hospital's workers sad, they may redirect patients to other public hospitals in case they do not have capacity
Tourists are eleigible to use SUS, but I cant say if it is a right thing  or not.

02/20/22

Access to SUS by foreigners is a gray area.

By law, SUS cannot deny treatment to anyone who needs and requests it.  On the other hand, people in Brazil on temporary visas aren't eligible for routine services, or to obtain a SUS card.  This naturally creates confusion for SUS providers who, to their credit, generally just go ahead and provide services to people who need them anyway, regardless of status.  Some even obtain cards in error.

SUS technically has the option of charging fees to patients ineligible for free care, but except for medications, dressings, or appliances, this rarely happens.

@MHHusein hi husain, how did you sort out accommodation upon arrival, kindly drop a msg please.

Not directly relevant, but throwing this in for anyone who might benefit: My wife had a baby in Carmela Dutra in Florianopolis centro in 2015, It was a Caesarean.  My wife is Brazilian, I am not. My son is fine and healthy. Everything went fine and the staff were helpful and kind. But looking back I can see there were risks I didn't appreciate at the time.

While my wife was in another woman's baby died due to her long undiagnosed diabetes, which was deeply distressing for her and all around. I also thought the way the surgeons did the Caesarean was a bit rough - they used a lot of force to pull my son out (he's fine though!). They also had students do the cesarean (supervised by senior surgeons), we were not informed of this until we were in the theatre. Finally, recovery was in a large ward with lots of patients ( I think there were 8 beds separated by curtains) - that was ok for us but not the best - some of the women talked all night and kept others up. If I could do it all again I would go private, but at that time we were broke.

I think the key thing to remember is that the SUS is operating for the benefit of the many millions of Brazilians who cannot afford private healthcare, so expect professionals who are trying their best under pressure, but don't expect to be prioritized because you are foreign or to receive the kind of care you would get either privately or in your own country. On the other hand, if you find you have to use the SUS for this (e.g. because you are broke) don't worry "too much" because Florianopolis is probably the best place in Brazil to need the SUS, ie it more or less works.

@haragiar Hi! Will you share the info for your midwife group? I'm planning to visit in May to select and get to know our birthing team.

We are planning on coming to Brazil to welcome our babies.

Please we will prefer a private hospital and not public hospital.

Please could anyone recommend a good private hospital and a good midwife in Florianopolis or any part of Brazil that is not too expensive.