Adopting a pet in Oman

Hello,

Are you a dog or a cat person? A pet can add life to a home and make an ideal travel companion during your expatriation in Oman.

However, formalities or regulations might put you off traveling with your pet making adoption a better option.

Are there any particular rules or procedures for the adoption of an animal in Oman?

What are the costs associated with adopting a pet in Oman?

Are there different procedures depending on the animal?

Are pet-sitting options available?

Have you ever adopted a pet in Oman? Is he or she still with you today?

Thank you in advance for your feedback,

Loïc

I adopted my dog, Maggie in 2015. She's a great dog and has become a member of my family, but remember, like all pets, they require lots of attention as they are your responsibility. They also like to be walked (or a large fenced  area to run around in). If you are not able to walk your dog daily, then I would advise you not to get a dog. Remember, these pets are you responsibility. Don't get a pet unless you are ready and dedicated to having one. They will need annual vaccines; grooming and properly fed, so there is a financial issue as well. If you can barely afford yourself, I would advise not getting a pet. I have seen too many people think they want an animal for a pet, only to abandoned them once they realize the responsibilities involved. As an American, we take great pride in our pets and for the most part, we treat them like people. The are great companions; They don't complain and they are always ready to please, play, learn tricks, go for walks, and most of all, to be your best friend. If you decide I want to wish you the best, just remember, a pet, like a child, will be solely dependent on you.

We have a cat who came into our lives some 6 years ago.  He is about 8 or 9 years now and is quite a character. 
I think anybody wanting to adopt a pet has to think carefully about its future should you decide not to take it with you when you leave Oman.  As a responsible pet owner you need to care for this pet and take it with you when you leave here.  It is irresponsible just to put it back on the street to fend for itself.  I know of many people who have done this and yes, surprise surprise even Europeans.  When you go away on holiday you cannot just leave your pet behind - you have to find either somebody to live in your house or put it in one of the better kennels in Muscat, of which there are only a few.  Or indeed a cattery.ALWAYS VISIT BEFOREHAND WHERE  your animal might be kenneled.  Some  cats are kept in cages in a small room with other cats, ( and not properly cleaned) while some actually have their own quarters and are NOT caged  and you will find these in better vets etc. 
Animals need at least yearly checkups and their vaccinations.  They also need extra vaccinations if you are taking them to Europe etc.  So yes they can cost money, but they can also bring you much happiness and reward. 
Our cat will come back with us to the UK, provided he is well enough, as he has Feline aids, which many of the cats here have as they do around the globe.  Veterinarians advice keeping your cat indoors with access to an enclosed area is essential for your cats health. 
It is a responsible act taking on a pet, so think carefully before you do it.  Animals are living creatures with feelings.  Treat it properly and you will be well rewarded. 
CJS MARTIN