New members of the England forum, introduce yourselves here - 2020

Hi all,

Newbie on the England forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in England if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi all. I have just recently moved to the UK from South Africa. I arrived 2 weeks ago and slowly adjusting to the way of life here. Learning new things all of the time of course. I'm currently looking for employment and I have set up a blog documenting my move and my husband and dog will be joining me shortly.

I look forward to learning more about the UK and of course the ability to travel all over really.

2 weeks in and loving it thus far just can't wait until my hubby and dog join me.

I'm actually in Mozambique, my dream is to work there. I haven't more experience in work because I work in a small water treatment company

Hello JLMANCINNES and Edson Fernando and welcome to expat.com !

@JLMANCINNES that's a long trip across the globe, i'm happy you're adjusting into the english way of life :)
You have a blog? That's cool ! Do you know you can submit it to our Blogs from expats in England?
as for you employment, you can take a look in the Jobs in England section, maybe you'll find the perfect one :D

@Edson Fernando, it's a big project, you better be prepared !
You can take a look at the Living in England guide for any information concerning visas, formalities, transports, etc.
as JLMANCINNES, you can also take a look at the jobs in England to find the one that will fit your needs :)

Welcome on board and have a great day !

Hello,

I am Sandra. My daughter Olivia and I are planning to relocate to the UK in April.  She will attend university and I will accompany her.  She is pursuing the medical field and began writing in 5th grade her website is thenlp.weebly.com.

We both plan to live there permanently if we can obtain appropriate documents (i.e., Work Visas).  I received my formal education in Psychology and worked in the field of mental health and behavioral health.  I worked with an interdisciplinary team of healthcare professionals (i.e., medical director, psychiatrist, psychologist, social workers, utilization nurses, dieticians, etc.) to serve clients at a residential treatment facility.  Collaborating with these professionals, I developed and administered Habilitation Plans for the clients, Behavior Management Plans, and trained caregivers.

Later in my professional career, I was fortunate to work for a university and was trained as an IT Software Development Project Manager, working with teams of software development professionals (i.e., DBAs, BAs, System Administrators, Network Engineers, QA Analyst, etc.) on various projects of varying degrees of  complexity and length. 

Software became my passion, and as a result, I began developing software systems and will create an international business in the UK.

While those are only examples of work I created, I have designed software in education:  edustats:  data analytics for learning, ROOT:  a classroom management system, software for drones and remote control vehicles, HELLO (answering machine for cellphones) and gaming systems to name a few. 

I am truly an innovator (and problem solver) at heart, I created SOLAR ENERGY business models and supportive BATTERIES that I provided to former Vice President Al Gore's environmental organization (and Think Tank) for feasibility and consideration for funding.  While I am always tinkering with things, I hope to partner with individuals and companies to develop my innovation.  Copies of my innovation described above is also available at the Smithsonian Institute (new African American Museum)....hopefully to ensure that I am acknowledged as the innovator. 

I am currently in Las Vegas, visiting the city, and watching the Presidental debates and contemplating our future with excitement. 

I am a happily divorced, work-a-holic looking forward to a new life, great friends, the love of my life, and creating a successful tech company.

I will need help understanding how to get moved and settled in there.

I can be reached at ***, and if there is an echo on the phone, wire taps are possible as i have discovered the field that i am in is very competitive.  (ha-ha).   My email is ***
Sandra Grant Motley

Moderated by Priscilla 4 years ago
Reason : do not post your personal contact details on the forum
sgail wrote:

Hello,

I am Sandra. My daughter Olivia and I are planning to relocate to the UK in April. 

Sandra Grant Motley

Hi Sandra and welcome to the Forum.

Top left-hand corner of this page is our Discover Section, if you mouse over that, you'll get a drop-down menu with access to our England Guide.  Read through that, then if you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi my name is adam merza from the Netherlands and i live in the UK for the past 4 years

Cheers,
Adam,

Hello,

I am Denise, a Brazilian living in England for the past 1.5 years. I am taking the PhD in Management at Durham University. Although noticing considerable differences in how people relate to each other in Brazil and here, I feel welcome here and I would say I am now adapted to the English style.

This expat social network interests me specially because my research is on expats from developed and emerging countries. So lots to learn from you all.

Cheers, Denise

Hi All.

My family and I moved to England from Houston, Texas nearly 3 years ago.  We've moved a lot around the US and I went to uni in Australia so I knew what it would be like adjusting to a new place all over again, and went through all the culture shock changes and adjustments all the same. :).

My kids were attending a British private school but are now homeschooling, as everyone else.  Right now we are incredibly thankful for this summer-ish weather happening that seems completely insane, but not complaining. 

Right now my biggest struggle is not being able to travel as expats do....making the most of our hometown in England which is absolutely gorgeous, but looking forward to further adventures beyond our walking limits 1-form-of-exercise-a day wall.

I do have a blog about moving to England from the US (which checklists and tips for moving anywhere) with travel inspiration and more to create a life you love!  I hope it provides help for anyone looking to move to England or travel once again....soon!

I would love for you to check it out as I'm trying to establish it as a full-time WFH opportunity that I can take with me everywhere we live. 

abroadpurpose.com/

Looking forward to more from this community! 

Happy Monday (and homeschooling!!!)!

Lori

Hi Lori and welcome to the Forum.

Loritungseth wrote:

Hi All.

My family and I moved to England from Houston, Texas nearly 3 years ago.  We've moved a lot around the US and I went to uni in Australia so I knew what it would be like adjusting to a new place all over again, and went through all the culture shock changes and adjustments all the same. :).

The link to your blog won't become active until you've made some more posts to the Forum (I think it's 5 in total); please don't take it personally, it's a built-in feature to stop spammers.

I'm also a US citizen living in the UK.  Although, apart from business, I've not been back Stateside for a real long time, so guess I've been an Expat from a very young age. :)

Anyway, welcome and if you have any specific question, please come back to us.

Cynic
Expat Team

This is Essa from KSA but recently living and studying in Bournemouth. Nice to meet you all....

Hai hai!

My name is Stephy and I plan on moving to the UK soon-ish to join my fiance. We will be getting married, then settling there. My major "freak-outs" is moving my stuff across the ocean. I don't own any furniture, but it's difficult to think that I might have to get rid of things - like some of my books.

Melaniipon wrote:

Hai hai!

My name is Stephy and I plan on moving to the UK soon-ish to join my fiance. We will be getting married, then settling there. My major "freak-outs" is moving my stuff across the ocean. I don't own any furniture, but it's difficult to think that I might have to get rid of things - like some of my books.

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Moving countries can be a problem in many ways, especially when it comes to getting your stuff to a new country, but some things are more important than others.
Forget electronics (Phones and laptops are fine - check the chargers will take 240v), and forget large items, but see what you can do to get your books over.  I left my books behind and I still regret it after 13 years.

I have a dream of getting  PhD in Health promotion and communication fully funded scholarship/job in England right from now. My BSc is public health officer with CGPA 3.10 of a 4.0 based scale and my MPH is in Health promotion and communication with CGPA 3.68 of a 4.0 based scale based + IELTS= 6.0 and currently working as a lecturer at University of Gondar Ethiopia.  Can I have a chance at your university/organization/country?  Thank you for communicating with me on***

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum for security reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Dear All,
I am Panji, from Indonesia. I am an entrepreneur in industry such like entertainment, Technology and trades (Export/import). I have been working with foreign companies since 2008, and current business involve with Canadian companies.
I am open to do business with british companies, and I am currently planning on settling in England in around 4-5 years from now with my family because my 10 yo son has interest in football and I want to seek opportunity for him to become professional footballer in England.

if anyone has the opportunity for me, to do business or anything, please don't hesitate to contact.

Hi expats ! Been in the UK since August 2020 we were supposed to be in the UK by April 2020 but with the current pandemic we were a bit delayed, we had to greet our families and friends for now and pets got left behind with Family that's are liking after them, we would of loved to bring them along but it's expensive and they are over 10 years old so might no be fair on then ... most difficult time ... but we are happy to be in England and can not wait to start a new life here.

Hi

We are a retired couple from South Africa wanting to move to the UK, planned date is by end February 2021. I'm busy with the Spousal Visa process and facing challenges like getting  Naric document to SA when our postal service doesn't happen and courier costs are so expensive...

My wife has a British Passport, hence the Spousal Visa route.

We would like to settle in the South West preferably and will be looking for places to stay and work opportunities soon.

We have run our own B&B for some years and my wife has experience running a B&B in the Yorkshire area so we're thinking maybe doing shortish periods for B&B owners who want a break, want to travel for a while or want someone else to run their place for them.

I'm also a IT & Technical Project and Program Manager and will be looking for some contract and consulting work. Basically open for anything!  :-)

Looking forward to arriving in some four months time! Hopefully as it starts to warm up having left at the height of the summer heat here!

Gerard & Wendy

Hi guys, I'm Monica from Poland, currently living in UK. Have a nice day :)

Hi all

My name is Kieran Kadlec and I live in Colchester, Essex, United Kingdom.

I am a US Enrolled Agent and looking to assist and connect with people that need assistance in their tax affairs.

Hello everyone,

I'm Egon and I come from Switzerland.

I have lived in the UK for 1 year now, working in the aviation sector.

Hello Kletten,

Welcome to Expat.com  :cheers:

Could you please share your experience as an expat so far?

How difficult was it for you to get a job in the UK?

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team.

Hello Cheryl,

Thank you! I went to a specialized academy for my job in aviation based in Oxford, so when I graduated the main job opportunities were within the UK. Since 2019 was a very good year for aviation, I even managed to find a job before my graduation itself. Things went quickly downhill with the Covid situation. I was going to transfer to Berlin but this got cancelled and I had to move to the area of Gatwick for a position I had to accept to avoid redundancy.

So all good enough so far! Ahah

Egon

Hi everyone,

My name is Anna, but do call me Anastasia please.,
I am Namibian and currently living in Windhoek, Namibia 
I plan to move to England and would really like to be advised more on how I should go about it. 
I am currently busy with my MBA Thesis (due June 2021) which I believe to play a significant role in my employment search. 

I will appreciate any additional information you think will help me achieve my goal

Many thanks

Hi Anastasia, I wish you luck! xxx

Hello there,
I just joined you. I hope I can be useful to someone. I can also find answers to my questions.

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=915960

Thanks!

Closed