Greetings from UKate!

Hello, all!

I just wanted to stop by and briefly introduce myself to this community.  I've been in England for two whole weeks today, having left the US to marry the love of my life.  Words cannot possibly describe how thrilled I am to be here, yet I feel compelled to blog anyway.  (This is what happens when English teachers are not safely ensconced in a classroom - they terrorise everyone else with excessive verbiage.)

My blog is new and I am still trying to establish a tone with which I am comfortable, so any input you guys have would be greatly appreciated.  I'm looking forward to spending the next few days getting to know the various blogs here - they look fantastic!  Thank you all for taking the time to write your experiences; I really do appreciate it.

Kate
http://ukate.wordpress.com/

Hi UKate!

Welcome to Expat.com and thanks for this introduction ;)

Armand

New blog post at UKate - check it out!  :)

ukate.wordpress.com/

Hi Kate, just posted a comment on your site. Wanted to give you some different feedback here. Class act, very funny, you'll do well in the UK with that sense of humour. Just a point I learnt you might want to consider.... Research shows that white background blogs are more popular because it's a bit hard going reading on a dark background apparently.

If they don't get you in Frome, head up north, it may be grim (as the londoners say) but we always have the last laugh and they will TOTALLY get you up there. If you love the beautiful outdoors, head for the lake district for a break, but on the way back, perhaps pay a visit to the cheshire villages - Wilmslow, knutsford, Alderley Edge and my lovely home, Hale. Then you can tell everyone down south, it's not so grim up north!!

Tracey
flippingcrikey.com

Ms Tracey, you have absolutely no idea how MUCH you have made my day, both with this post and the comment on my blog.  It's a new blog, so any hits are worthy of a celebratory beer.  (Fosters, for some odd reason.)

I didn't know about the white vs. black background thingie - I'll check that out!  Thanks for that valuable input. 

So far, Frome seems...pleasant, but very quiet.  Admittedly, I haven't gone out and about more than three or four times, and every time I was happy-snapping away with my camera so the locals thought I was scouting properties for a movie.  (This is what I overheard one of them say; I darn near peed myself laughing.)

I have made notes of all of your locale recommendations and rest assured, I want to see them all!  I'm completely entranced by this place - it's just so unlike anything I've seen before.  Thatched roofs, really?!  Clearly, the Big Bad Wolf hasn't been here recently.  "Alderly Edge?"  It even sounds romantic...or like someplace where hobbits might live.  Either way is really fine.

Again, thanks so very much for the encouraging words.  They really did make me smile.  :)

New post on UKate!

British television is hugely frightening, from Doctor Who to Embarrassing Bodies.  My tendency to avoid the TV was overcome recently by Downton Abbey.  Read the clueless American's perspective on this much-lauded drama!

ukate.wordpress.com

New post on UKate!

The clueless American girl visits the historic town of Bradford-on-Avon, sees amazing sights, eats amazing food, drinks an entire pint and is then in an accident...  Discovering the UK one fiasco at a time!

http://ukate.wordpress.com/

welcome to england!

Thank you, Srm27!  Having a wonderful time so far.  :)

Pump It! By the Bath-Eyed Peeps.  A new blog post recounting my micro-tour of the ancient city of Bath.  Check it out!
ukate.wordpress.com

Kate

New blog post!  Families, Felines and Fritos.  Check it out here:  http://ukate.wordpress.com/  Any and all feedback would be appreciated!