Questions about moving to England

Hello, everyone!

I'd like to move to England as of next year, and attend school at the University of Gloucestershire for my Master's and my Ph.D. in English (Creative Writing).  I basically don't have a home here in the US anymore, and by that, I mean I'm estranged from my family, and there's no way I would go back to them given the circumstances. So, I'm doing this on my own.

However, I have friends in England, one of whom is a man I'm in love with, and he and I intend to live together.

I tell you all this to give you some semblance of the gravity of my situation. I'm currently trying to sell all my possessions to get over there, get to school, and be with the one I love. Of course, I've decided that, though he and I are in love, that I'm going over there whether he is still in the picture or not. (I don't want him to give up on me, but as most of us know, this unfortunately happens.)

I know this all sounds odd, perhaps even unlikely, but it's all true, lol! Odd and unlikely are themes in my life it seems.

My main goals here are to go to school, get my Master's and my Ph.D., and to make a new home for myself in England. I desire to obtain a student visa, a work visa, and go for citizenship. I'm aware that it's all very complicated. I'm going to start the application process with the school either this week or next, depending upon when I can meet with my adviser and the Dean of the English Department at my university.

I just need someone to point me in the right direction so I can make all of this happen. Whether it be a reliable "How-to" guide, a website, people to call or contact--whatever information that can be provided.

Thank you very much!

DaniSchlos

The best advice I can give you is to look for a website called UK Yankee.  It's specifically for americans going to england and was a great help to me.  This site is interesting here but without sub forums it's pretty hard to find topics and doesn't have as much of a community vibe as that one does.

I am not sure if you're trying to say you're moving to the UK for good or not, but keep in mind that educational visas are temporary. 

I'm not sure what the requirements are to get one but it's possible you will need a sponsor and your friend might be a good person to do that for you. 

If you're going to come over as a romantic partner, there is quite a lot of paperwork to prove incomes, housing situations and more.  A fiancee visa is six months and then must be converted to a spousal visa (that is, you'd have to get married) which is only good for two years, at which point you can apply for a greencard, so long as you are still married and still meet requirements.  These things are changing a lot these days, though, so be sure to check the latest rules before making any major plans.