New members of the England forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

Hi all,

Newbie on the England forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in England if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi y'all
Great to join this community. Look forward to talking to you guys.

Hello dreidie,

We are glad to welcome you to Expat.com :)

Thanks for dropping in to say hi. Could you please tell us a little about yourself and your current plans as an expat in England?

Should you need any advice, information or insight about life in England, do not hesitate to start new threads on the England forum.

All the best,

Diksha
Team Expat.com

debtadvice wrote:

Hi!

Great to join this community. I need to talk to you guys.

Really, please say why?

Hello SimcityAT. Why?

Must admit that I'm also interested in what he/she wishes to talk about.

Why?  It's my job to be interested in what people say on here; I guess SimCityAT will have a similar reason.

Hi
I'am a new in the forum and happy to have registered. I have been living in the UK for 8 years now.  :top:
I'am looking forward to speak to anyone who have questions about living in the UK.
I also give courses online to help practice your French. Contact me for more info.

Stay safe

Hey. i have been living in London for a few years too. Welcome :)

Thanks! How to you find it living in the UK?

jfarmer wrote:

So happy to find a forum with expats in the UK. I am in Dallas but am about to be relocated to the UK by my employer. It is pretty open where I live so I am looking for advice and guidance on the pros, cons, and what it is really like to live in a given area. Not to mention insight into their what life is really like, not just what the articles claim, and any additional detail or insight people are able/willing to give.

A little about myself. I a divorced man in his late 40s. I enjoy outdoors, reading, live theater, and time with friends, family, and loved ones. I have been told that southwest of London along the M4 corridor would probably be best.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

My advice would be to use something like an AirBnB for your first couple of months, then you can make an informed choice when you have had a chance to reflect on your new office and what goes on around it.  Further, there is a website called Numbeo that provides a great deal of information among which is a cost comparison and some reflection on social aspects; this link will take you straight to their website, I've set it up to reflect a comparison between Dallas and London, but you can change locations and the salary numbers to more reflect reality.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi, I have established a new company in england and i plan to move there some time in the near future.

Hi that great for you! Welcome

Hi that great for you! Welcome

Hey all :)

Lovely greetings from London   :cheers:

I know Iam a bit late here but here is my Introduction:

My name is Philipp, Iam 31 years old, Iam originally from Germany and I have moved to London in January 2020 (before I was living in Hurghada).
Iam working in the hospitality and move to different countries from time to time :)

It seems like Iam going to move soon away again :p
But if you have any questions to London or Hurghada or even Germany feel free to ask :)

Or perhaps we can have a drink together soon ;) (12th of April  🍻)

Best wishes,

Philipp

Thank sir
i'm living in Guinea but just send me your cantact
my own is ***

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details through private messaging.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi everybody,

I´m also new to the forum, so I wanted to introduce myself:

I´m Tobi and originally from Germany. I moved to England in 2013 because of my wife, who is from Peterborough ;-).
I know how difficult it may be to start here, so I´m available for some tips :-).
Also, I want to built a camper-van during the next weeks to travel through europe with my wife and my son this summer in our very own van :-) So, I´m also ver thankful for any tips that I will get. I´m sure that I will come up with some questions regarding this ;-).

Best wishes and looking forward to the exchange,
Tobi

Hello,
I'm American and interested in moving to Manchester, England.   My problem is finding a government job.  I have a lot time invested with Federal government.  I've been looking online and usajobs.gov.  What are the ways I can get there?  I have no luck.  Any suggestions are appreciated. 
Thanks!
Armena

Hi and welcome to the forum.

There are rules about working in the UK Civil Service (which means any UK Government job), one of which is a requirement over nationalities, these are:

●UK nationals
●Nationals of Commonwealth countries
●Nationals of the Republic of Ireland
●EEA nationals
●Certain Turkish nationals
●Certain family members of EEA and qualifying Turkish nationals

From that, I'm afraid US citizens cannot be employed in the UK Civil Service.  That does not stop you from applying for other jobs outside of the UK Government.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hello there! I'm new to the forum. I hope to learn a few things about England as I'm interested to go to London (and hopefully, maybe when the time come, I am able to move to London). It's nice to meet you guys! ^_^)

Hi
I'm glad to join this community. I'm looking forward to talking to you.

Hello everyone,

My husband and I are Americans in our very early 60s and have lived off and on in the UK for over 20 years - 14 years in Scotland (where our children and grandchildren settled) and, most recently, over 6 years in England.  My husband's career was in oil and gas and he retired last year.  So now I get to fulfill a bit of my dreams - growing and nurturing plants at the moment.

We bought a property in Essex last year, got a vineyard planted during lockdown (amazingly!) and continue to care for our 16 acres and improve the house and gardens, a bit at a time.

I am reaching out to other expats as, although we are quite integrated with the British way of life, there are tax issues and legal issues that are quite complicated when mixing the two systems, e.g. UK partnership business and US taxes, wills that are valid in both countries, etc.

I am happy to converse with others needing help too, if I have the knowledge and experience.  I look forward to our conversations.

Hi there,

I've been living in the UK for 15 years now and would love to meet new people that have also experienced moving country. I lived in South London for about a year and now find myself in the county of Surrey.

Currently I am in the process of studying for my Life in the UK test as I hope to get my British Citizenship this year. I've already passed the Language Test.
I do have Indefinite Leave to Remain but as I don't see myself moving anywhere else, the citizenship will allow me to get my passport from the post office instead of the rather complicated procedure at the Dutch Embassy.

I am glad to be here.

Cheers,

Sisqi

sisqi76 wrote:

Hi there,

I've been living in the UK for 15 years now and would love to meet new people that have also experienced moving country. I lived in South London for about a year and now find myself in the county of Surrey.

Currently I am in the process of studying for my Life in the UK test as I hope to get my British Citizenship this year. I've already passed the Language Test.
I do have Indefinite Leave to Remain but as I don't see myself moving anywhere else, the citizenship will allow me to get my passport from the post office instead of the rather complicated procedure at the Dutch Embassy.

I am glad to be here.

Cheers,

Sisqi

My wife is Dutch and I'll never forget the guy at the Gemeente in Enschede when we married; as he handed over her new passport with her married details, he said to her "Meisje, meisje, geef niet op uw Nederlandse nationalitiet" - it's something that has stuck with her ever since.  Probably something we should all consider I guess.

Welcome to the UK .  :cheers:

I forgot to add that I am married to an Englishman and hardly been in touch with any family or friends in the Netherlands, so I don't really see any reason for me to keep my Dutch Nationality at this point.

The last time I went back to the Netherlands, they thought I was an American as my Dutch is now so heavily accented.

Also if I ever wanted to move to Down Under or New Zealand, this might be easier with a passport from the United Kingdom than it would be with a Dutch passport.

It's funny though as my husband and I got married in the Netherlands as it was so much cheaper than here in the UK.

Hi again.

I'm also a Brit.  They can take your Dutch nationality away from you unless you've gained the 2nd nationality by birth, for example, our 3 kids all have 2 passports. 

We've lived in the UK for 25 years now, my wife has pretty much lost her Dutch accent, she just speaks with a plain English accent.  Our kids all speak Dutch with a Yorkshire accent which is bizarre.  I speak Dutch with a Twents accent.

We were going to return to Holland later this year, but Brexit has made that a bit more difficult and our daughter has now moved back here, so no real point in going through all the hassle of moving again.

Hello from London)
I'm glad to join this community. I'm looking forward to talking to you.

Hi everyone I'm an Aussie expat living in Iran with my hubby and 4 year old daughter. We are currently deciding where we would like to move onto next and I am torn between the UK & Spain. How is the public school system in the UK for my daughter? I will be registering my business in the UK either way I am a herbalist and study folk medicine. I create herbal teas And will be manufacturing the teas and packing here in Iran and exporting to the UK and worldwide. Does anyone have any tips for exporting to the UK? Or registering as a non resident business?  Any help is much appreciated😀 I love that the steering wheel is on the right side like in Australia the steering is on the left here so annoying 😂😂 I'm also looking for new friends in the UK 👋 Cheers Tanya

A graduate of Agricultural Extension Management from the National Open University of Nigeria, with over seven years of experience at the International Institute Of Tropical Agriculture Yam Breeding Unit. I need a job in the Farming Sector that offers a Certificate of Sponsorship to process my Visa from Nigeria

Hello maryadeyemo36,

Welcome to Expat.com  :cheers:

Since you are looking for a job, I invite you to create your CV in the Jobs in England
section.

There is a dedicated category for agriculture;)

Best luck.

Cheryl
Expat.com team

Hi! Just joined the forum. Nice to meet everyone :)

hi nice to meet all of you, i m in india.

Hi everyone, I am an architect from Italy. Already been in UK last year now I am considering to come back. Nice to meet all of you.

I have secured a university admission in Bristol.I am new to England and would like to move with my 14 years son.If anyone knows about the accommodation type where I can stay with my son safely, please feel free to reply
My program intake is on January 2022.

Thank you
Anima Maroli

animamaroli wrote:

I have secured a university admission in Bristol.I am new to England and would like to move with my 14 years son.If anyone knows about the accommodation type where I can stay with my son safely, please feel free to reply
My program intake is on January 2022.

Thank you
Anima Maroli

Speak to your University, they normally have accommodation for 1st-year students, or if they have none suitable, will know of local landlords who may have accommodation suitable.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you

Hi!

My name is Chris and it's great to be a part of the expat community. I'm 25 and an Aussie living in London. I moved to London about 2 years ago with my girlfriend and have been loving it (despite what seemed like neverending lockdowns at the start)!

I work for an Australian company in the UK and have just set up the UK operations. The role of my job is to assist Australian expats with purchasing investment property back home! A large part of my job is networking and I thought why not sign up to the forum to see if there is anyone I can help!

Would be great to have a chat with Aussies in this community and I look forward to offering my services where possible!

Thank you!
Chris

Hello
I am faisal
From Yemen
I live in Saudi Arabia
Street fighting and self defense trainer
Fitness and weight loss coach
Character Protection Coach
physical therapist
I worked for a long time in agriculture because my town is agricultural

I hope to immigrate to England to provide human rights and respect for humanity...

I am planning to move to England to live there permanently and get married

Hi all,

I'm Nur and I joined this community because I am interested to work and live in England.

A little bit about myself,

I'm from Malaysia and working as an engineer. I actively looking for opportunities to work in England and live there because I like the country since my first trip to England when I was a student. I felt very welcomed and through my research, it is a great country for career advancement and place to live.

My expat plan is for long-term,  and I hope to get advice and suggestion from this community.

Thank you!

Nur Ismail wrote:

Hi all,

I'm Nur and I joined this community because I am interested to work and live in England.

A little bit about myself,

I'm from Malaysia and working as an engineer. I actively looking for opportunities to work in England and live there because I like the country since my first trip to England when I was a student. I felt very welcomed and through my research, it is a great country for career advancement and place to live.

My expat plan is for long-term,  and I hope to get advice and suggestion from this community.

Thank you!

From what you've told us, you only have one way to enter the UK and this is with a Skilled Worker visa; all of the details of how to apply are on the UK Gov website; this link will take you straight to it.

Once you've read the link and any internal links it gives you, if you have any further specific questions, then please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi there!

Just accepted a job offer in England. From the US. Will be moving over soon within the next month or so once visa is worked out. So excited and so scared haha.

Closed