Moving from Malta 2020, hopefully!

Hi all,

Paul & Deanna currently living in Malta but looking to move to Cyprus next year (2020). Early retiree from uk.

Will be in Cyprus for Xmas this year and hope to recce rental locations Paphos/Pissouri area.

Questions.
Will estate agents be open during Xmas week?

Any recommendations for shipping household goods ( not furniture ) from Malta ?

Is the bureaucracy as bad as in Malta re residency,tax,motor vehicle etc?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

some agents will be, most places will be open again after xmas day and boxing day

shipping  try speaking to RSS Logisitics (andrea thorne)  and also try Peter Morton Removals (both are on facebook) when you are over here  they are local shipping companies who ship from all over the world -  a friend of mine is also coming over from sliema / st julians area and is using a maltese company so will find out about that for you

as for the formalities it has its difficulties and frustrations  but is not as bad as malta in my opinion...

Thanks for that, will have a look at them. Coincidence we are currently in Sliema.

Sorry, Cyprus is full up, try Greece!

Thanks for the positive feedback ;-)

You will be made very welcome here for sure..... my friend in Malta now hasnt got back to me yet he may be without internet with the removal he will be back in  few days - - i havent forgotten you

Too many from the UK, newsagents out of Express, Daily Mail and Sun. Please don't sunbathe with a hankie on your heads. It's against the Paphos Region Authority rules. Toon has a pink one it covers his bald head as he is the Muktar of Paphos. Enjoy!

Take no notice of Samuel - must be having a bad day in Limassol

We have been hit by a tsunami in Limassol I have zero steps to the beach!

I posted my belongings ( October 2019) in big parcels, no limitation by size but max. 20 kg. Post was the "cheapest" way.

I have to confirm Toon: Malta was there worst re bureaucracy ( bringing household goods and dog) and most expensive!

Thanks for that may look at the|" posting" option.

we did the dame over 5 years ago ( but we had an address to which to send it as we rented a property before getting here) and they all arrived within 5-7 days of sending via maltapost at the Meliieha Post Office. The manager of it was Joseph who was very very helpful... But be aware that packages arent handled with a great deal of care in transit so pack your stuff really really well.....

Thanks for that Toon,

We are coming over again in March to try and find a place to rent before returning and packing up.

quick question: Whats the rental market like, time wise, Would hope to get something sorted durin this visit for a rental to start in May. Do you think this would be achievable?

check rental market yourself online, Real estate , FB etc. With a dog it will be a problem to find an accommodation!
From my experience Cyprus offers more "value for money" compared to Malta.
Yes, it could be achievable. Be open fora  compromise!

I've been checking online but not contacted any agents as yet, waiting until nearer visit to arrange appointments. No pets involved.

yes absolutely possible

But be careful.. do not to disclose your top end of budget to the agent as he will show those plus those that are more expensive to stretch you and make more commission for themselves.. Although to be fair agents commissions get paid by the landlord, not the tenant,

Check out the facebook buy sell & hire pages, also rental pages, smartrentz, buy and sell cyprus, cyprus 101, Owners Direct, Sunseakers, MYkthma, Cyprus Property and Home...  and also Bazaraki website for properties too some great deals there..  I have personally used Smartrentz, Buy and sell and Sunseakers.. all were good .. i have also used a couple of private agents too via Facebook

No point in contacting agents until you are here - they like to have deposits paid and advance rental for the first month (sometimes two) so they get paid as soon as its paid.

Property moves quickly especially in the months of march to may....
dont be rushed, dont make a rash decision because of time pressures ...if worst comes to the worst take an airbnb  or a short let holiday let or a hotel break.

Long lets here are minimum 6months, some property owners are  now asking for 6-12months rent up front so be aware fo that too.

Be sure of your accommodation requirements and demand that you are only shown the properties that match it... compromise is normal, but be sure you know what your  MUST HAVES are your WANTS are your NEEDS and NICE TO HAVES are.

Dont fall for the "this will go quick" tactics - or fake calls from another interested party. Doesnt happen very often but it does happen

Accommodation here is far better quality, more choice/variety and better value overall than Malta....

Wow.... Very comprehensive post Toon. Thanks for all the info, lots I hadn't thought of. It's going to be a busy day.

GOOD LUCK... if you need more information please dont hesitate to ask away...

Thanks will do ;-)

Virus delayed but we are now on our way. Flying in on 24th July when we will be looking for long rental.
We have temp accommodation for 2 weeks so hope to get more permanent rental sorted in that time.
Looking in Peyia or west Paphos for 2/3 bed house/villa or very good apartment with outdoor space.

Budget around 6-700.

Lets hope the airports are opened for you.....  UK still in Cat C at moment.... but as you are coming from Malta you should be ok..... i think they are stil Cat A

You never know you might manage to get a bargain as the summer rentals have been hit hard.... and prices have dropped.... but then as you progress through to next year they will probably rise quite sharply as things pickup... so be prepared... i would be temoted to attempt a longer term rental fixed for the period and play on the uncertainty.
Good Luck guys

Thanks Toon,
Here's hoping airport will still be open. Opens here tomorrow for a few countries and coming in via Greece and both Malta and Greece cat A. Bargains are what its about and longer term would suit, we have been on a rolling 2yr lease here.

If you know anyone looking for mature couple to 'look after' their property please point them in my direction. We start the search on 27th July.

where have yo been looking  =which web pages sites etc

all the agents you recommended and also a few you didn't. Have had contact with smartrentz and cypro rentals. Also bazaraki but not followed up on any yet there yet.

good luck guys and welcome to Cyprus  - i assume you managed to fly in....

Thanks,, yes no problems getting in although passport guy gave me good grilling about where I'd come from. House hunting starting Monday.

Found a property and have the keys.

Hello, I'm glad you made it to Cyprus! I also managed to get here on 26th August.

I'm also from Malta (Gozo actually) and I wanted to ask you if you are planning on shipping any personal effects from Malta to Cyprus?

I have a fair amount of stuff and I'm looking to share a container with someone. I have so far only approached one reliable Maltese shipping company (who I have dealt with before) and they told me that Malta to Cyprus is not a popular route and I would have to pay €1,500 per pallet or approximately €6,000 for a container. I probably do have more than four pallets, but if I was going to pay for four pallets, I might as well pay for the full container.

I would be very grateful if you could email me at *** to let me know if you will be shipping your stuff over to Cyprus, which Maltese  shipping companies you approached for quotes and if you haven't already sent your stuff, if you would be willing to share a container with me.

Thank you.
Best wishes,
Sally

Moderated by Cheryl 3 years ago
Reason : For security reasons, contact details should not be posted on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Try. RSS logistics or Peter Morton here in Cyprus they both have Facebook pages and have proven to be safe secure and reliable

Sorry  all our stuff came already
We used RSS which was ok but due to covid and greek holidays took an extra 2 weeks to get here

I suggest you speak to RSS as I already know a friend of mine is due over around 25th October from Malta and their stuff ships via RSS around the 23rd..... so it may well be worth call to them (RSS Logistics speak to Andrea Thorne)

NB just spoken to my friends and yes RSS are expensive but still far cheaper than the maltese shippers they contacted..

Peter Morton was cheaper than RSS but PM ship from Malta to UK first then to Cyprus, so PM would tak longer.

RSS quoted €4000 plus vat for 4.5 cubic meters plus a scooter and the crate - but will amend price if its not 4.5cubic meters once packed.... door to door two weeks and they offered free storage until christmas if reqd... all inclusive of customs clearance import taxes packing materials etc.

Good luck