Changing visa partnership

Hello,

I need an advice.
I came to the Netherlands because my ex. In between things got very bad to me and to us (i got clinical depression, I've attempted suicide etc). My partner could handle my depression and that's why i got worse (no friends, alone in another land etc).
He broke up with me when i need him most but at least he is allowing me to have my therapy etc.
So, since the medication started worked, i got a job, start to make friends and in between i met my new girlfriend (I'm bissexual). My ex know what is going on and we are good as friends, fortunately.
My point is, me and my girlfriend wanna start a life together and change my visa to another partnership one. My psychiatrist and psychologist are willing to write down a letter explaining what happened in the previous months with me, so IND can know there was not betraying etc.
Someone knows if it is possible to do that? I feel so afraid to loose her that it is triggering my depression again.
Anyway, thanks in advance!

Hi again and welcome back.

Sorry to read about your problem.  If your previous relationship was the basis of your current visa/work permit, then Dutch law requires you to notify the IND of your change of circumstances.  At the same time, you can ask what you need to do in order to remain in the Netherlands.  You're not the first person this has happened to and won't be the last, your sexuality will have nothing to do with it.

I wouldn't worry about it, make an appointment to speak to the IND on Monday.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks for replying.
I have one more question.
The IND website says we have to prove long-term relationship, but in this situation what is the best to do?
I'm really concerned to go there and ask things and then have troubles, once I'm on therapy and I really need in order to recover totally.
Thanks again

Thanks for replying.
I have one more question.
The IND website says we have to prove long-term relationship, but in this situation what is the best to do?
I'm really concerned to go there and ask things and then have troubles, once I'm on therapy and I really need in order to recover totally.
Thanks again

Hi again.

Well, if you've been with this new partner for only a couple of weeks, then now is probably not a good time to go and ask, give it a few months - who knows you may fall out with this partner and end up having to start all over again.  The best is that you are open and honest with the IND.  I'm only sure of one thing, that is if you are discovered to be living in the Netherlands illegally, then they will deport you; the question then is, what chance of being caught?  Probably pretty low, until at some stage in the future when it matters, when your status will be checked, for example, should you wish to apply for permanent residency in the Netherlands.  Whatever your case is unique in that it is not described in the regulations, all you can do is go and ask.

At the very worse, all that can happen is that you are told to return to your home country and apply for a new visa, but that just doesn't make any sense.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi dear,
That's the point. I'm under my ex visa in order to maintain my therapy. And I fall for another person.
I'm not ilegal here. I just don't find any informations on the website and if I call to IND all the questions I do, remain in their system, right?
So, that's why I fell lost about talking to them.
Some advice?

Hi again.

I don't think it matters, you're not (currently) illegal and you have a job and a new partner; the Dutch Government actually want people such as yourself to come and work in the Netherlands, you'll be no good to yourself, your partner, or anybody else until you resolve this.

You are right. We gonna start the application on Friday. My ex did already inform idn about the end of our relationship so now we gonna apply for us. Thanks dear

Hi again.

Glad I could help you.  I wish you and your partner all the best for your future.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi Cinic,

I'm thinking to come back toy country and restart the visa process in there,because my father is sick (only 20% of his leaver is working and he can die any moment).
Is this still a safe idea? Do u know if I have to restart from zero, I mena the imburgering abroad, doing it over again?
Thanks in advance

Hi again.

You have to notify the Gemeente that you are leaving; this ceases your liabilities for gemeente belasting and other utilities and notifies the Belastingdienst; you can normally do this via your DigiD account.  If you are out of the country for more than 8 months, then you have to start again.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team