Possibilty of Getting work/residence visa while on tourist visa

Hello everybody,

What are the odds of someone staying here in the Netherlands(on a short stay/tourist visa,non EU) of finding a job and getting a residence visa/work permit and live here eventually?

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Short answer, none.  You can't work in Holland while on a Tourist visa; if you're caught working illegally, you'll be deported and barred from returning.  You can only apply for a residence/work permit (MVV) from outside of Holland (i.e. back in your home country).

There is nothing stopping you from looking for work while you're in Holland, then going back home to apply for your MVV.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks for the reply.. i dont mean working while on tourist visa(i know thats definitely not legal) but looking for work while on tourist visa then the company getting visa for you so you can return in the NL with an mvv.. what are the chances of that happening.. can you apply with some random jobs or you need to be a skilled worker

Hi again.

You're really talking about 2 different things now.  A company getting your visa for you is really the highly skilled migrant scheme; you haven't told us where/what you do so I shan't comment further on this, except to say that there are boundaries you have to cross in order to qualify; it's all on the IND website.

The other method is the MVV scheme, where you apply in your own right, take a Dutch language exam, wait (up to) 90 days for your visa, then travel to Holland and find work/somewhere to live etc.

I've probably oversimplified the above, but I hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team