Water charges in hurghada

Hi - we've recently taken ownership of our newly developed property in hurghada, which we absolutely love.  However, since the start of the year the water charge per tonne has increased from 40le to 50le and now one of our neighbor's has just been advised by the management company that its increased to 60le.

Can anyone advise if this is standard rate?

If not, does anyone have tips for registering the water meter and usage in our own names  rather than having to pay via the complex?

Thanks

Hi

I wonder if your apartment, is in Makadi Bay/Heights,

I have noticed how, the cost of living, have gone up, even though I am not a permanent resident yet, with each return, I find I am paying more, which I was told, by a store owner, it is mainly due, to the exchange rate.

However, has we are on a complex, sadly they will continue, to increase their charges, if you haven't done so already, how are you getting on with the property tax charges, has this is another expense, which I am trying to address and sort  ?

With the electric, I insisted, on my own meter, the gas uses gas bottles, but the water is meters, for which for now, I have not used much, but keep a I record, of all my suppliers and consumption, plus be careful not to drink.

It is a shame, there is no one or place, where clear answers or help, maybe easily found and available.

That's one of the problems with complexes they are attractive as they're usually cheaper and have a pool etc but they do tend to add charge upon charge for the resident. And then there's the off chance that they might go bust. Places like Makadi and those shady new developments are known for it, that's why they are usually cheaper to buy. Much better to buy independent, and usually cheaper in the long run. I've been told that there is indeed property tax but I don't know the exact costs, no doubt they are overcharging you. It's Egypt after all! Hopefully someone can give you an idea of how much you should be paying

I would be careful and being a foreigner. I remember in one place I was staying . I noticed every month they would not bring my water bill. Even when they brought the rest of my neighbors bills . Then about every four months or so  he would finally show up with this out- rageous  bill   for thousands of pounds and note  I was barely even at home because I was a student . This went on for months even years . First they would pretend it was a leak so i had a plumber to come out nothing  same thing . He would not bring our water bill then show up with huge amounts . I started to notice  that  the amount of water  gallon that was supposedly used was way high and as i said  we were never at home  must due to studying so how could i be using all this water.  Then  magically the bill went down to a few pounds. My landlord was of no help he really didnt care .Well  I was being cheated  this is known  especially with Egyptians and foreigners   I was finally able to move from that place  to a better one  with no problems so far So take care and keep up with that  They are over charging you water is not normally that high

Hi everyone,

firstly, don't be taken as a fool, the water in Makadi heights is 30 le with taxes! OK. paid in 2022. Makadi heights and bay are both increasing other taxes but not water!!! The ones in Makadi heights are cheating from water to the little taxi car, Tok Tok, Egyptians are not paying any of the prices you have given!!!

say we will not pay nothing I will get in touch with the CEO OF MAKADI OR ORSCOM AND THREATEN THEM AND DO IT!!! It takes a few mins to write an email. Google CEO it all comes up!

Cairo I got conned once as well, find compounds and good neighborhood that you can ask them DO NOT PAY THE BILL AT ALL! it's a con. The water is 6 months to a year 100 le…

landlords will not help you especially in Hurgada, they are of no use regardless they are Egyptian or foreigners dealing with properties lies and neglect is best known,  trust me it all ends with Money.

I own 2 Apartments in Al Ayaah (Hurghada 2 Northern Touristic area), 5 minutes drive from El Gouna. I took possession of the 2 properties in June 2023, the water was priced at 37 LE per unit, when I returned 6 weeks later in August 2023 the price had mysteriously shot up to 180 LE per unit!! I am absolutely livid! Unfortunately, as usual, I feel that as they see a white British person they immediately want to rip us off in any shape or form that they can, which I feel is all Egypt is about!!!!

@celicasam

it will be easy for you if you consider price in USD in egypt or euro

as this became the real standard  for it

Agree and echo your experience.

There is a desperate, predatory mentality here.

You even have to watch the menus.

The dish written in Arabic is half the price of the same dish written in English or Russian.

It's an interesting phenomenon.

But not really specific to Egypt, just more blatant and completely acceptable here.