Music Scene in CR

I'm an expat in Thailand.  Been living here off and on for 17 years.  I'm retired.  I've been to Costa Rica one time, spent a month traveling around.  I've visited 120 countries so far.  I'm a travel nut.

I'm looking at finding a new destination to live.  Just want a change.  But also, want to try and find a vibrant music scene.  Sadly, that's not happening here in Thailand.  For a variety of reasons.  Legally, you can't play in bars.  And I play Irish/ Bluegrass.  Not much of that here! LOL

What's it like in CR?  Being closer to the US, I would hope there are some musicians living there that are into this type of music. 

Thanks to all who reply.
Craig

Legally, you can't play in bars here, either, until one is Permanant resident.
We had a friend who 'played' in return for his supper in Playas del Coco...

You can find a variety of music in the cities in Costa Rica. For that type though you'd be better off to go to the Deep South of the US like Tennessee, Alabama or Mississippi

I don't know about the legality but I assume kohlerias is correct that you can't legally play here for money unless you're a permanent resident which takes $ and nearly 5 years time.

I doubt that bluegrass or Irish music would be very popular here, but who knows? I've never seen it played anywhere here though.

Justagirl is right, that this music would be more popular in the southern regions of the USofA, anywhere from Texas to South Carolina. But not sure if you could make a living from it in the US.

Thanks for the replies!  Same situation as here in Thailand.  I don't want to play for money, just for fun.  And I enjoy jamming in somebody's backyard even more than in a bar.

Colorado, California, Oregon and Washington State are all big areas for Bluegrass also.  Just not sure I want to move back to the US right now.  Still enjoying being a retired expat. LOL

Again, Thanks!!
Craig

i believe he wants info for Costa Rica NOT USA ....

Tamarindo, on the Pacific Coast, is a lovely town with a lot of open mic nights - several each week. I think that one or two of your selections at every open mic night would be very welcome here.

I should have mentioned - the venues that I refer to are places where locals and tourists hang out. The establishments hire a professional musician or group - legal workers with residency - to perform and to encourage other musicians to get up and jam. The professionals back up the others and the volunteers are performing just for fun and entertainment.

Jonesy: I visited Tamarindo quite a few years ago.  Very nice place.  We liked it a lot.

That is very common in many places.  Have a "house" band that plays but also encourages others to join in.  I'm doing this next week at a bar here.  Great fun.

Thanks for your input!!