Moving to Mauritius next month - looking for your suggestions!

Hi all!

I'm moving to Mauritius next month (for 3/4 months, maybe longer) and as I'm self-employed I'm lucky enough to be-able to live anywhere on the island. So that's why I need your help!

What city would you suggest as a good place to live? I like being outdoors, hiking, swimming etc, and I'm also hoping to make new friends as well, so a city or region that suits those needs would be amazing.

Thanks so much, and if any of you are keen to meet up in a few weeks time (for a beer/cocktail and chat, a hike, to watch a football game etc), let me know :)

Cheers!
Matthew

Hello Matthew,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

In the north, you have a huge community of expats.
As such, you will more likely love staying there as you have easy access to the beach ( Pereybère beach, one of the most beautiful beaches in Mauritius  :idontagree: ), bars, restaurants and some other activities.

Expats also consider living in the south west of Mauritius, mainly Tamarin or Flic en Flac where you will also be very close to the beach and you have Black River Gorges where you can easily go for a hike. ;)

I also advise you to have a look at some other topics where expatriates shared a lot of interesting information.

If you have any other queries about Mauritius, please feel free to create new threads in the Mauritius forum and we will try our best to help you.

Good luck,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Hi Matthew well the type of place you are looking is in the north especially Grandbay ,pereybere etc as lots of expatriates live there and am sure you will like it.. ***

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Promoting your own services is not allowed on the website. You should register your business in the business directory. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Based on what you are looking for (outdoors, hiking, swimming etc), Tamarin / Black River (if you can afford it) seems to be the place for you - lots of expats / foreigners, public beaches, good place for fishing and dolphin watch, for hiking there is the Black River nature park, a few bars to watch football / rugby.

Hello friend,
Hope you are doing well.. Happy to hear you are coming to our paradise island.. Can offer you my services as private guide with local resident prices for most of the activities.

We keep in touch have an awesome weekend..

Hello Matthew,

Good to know you are coming to MRU soon.

Your location will be based on your preferences.

if you are looking for an area buzzing with tourists and other expats, then the North and the West are where you should be looking at.
You will have everything from hotels, malls, fine dining, bars, nightclubs, etc.

But if you are looking for a place more quiet and less touristy and build up, then I would recommend the South.
Less to do in general but more nature, forests, mountains, nature reserves, hiking, trekking, etc.

But wherever you settle, if you find yourself in the South or you want to discover the region, just let me know.

Hi Matt,

The west of the island is the best location.

surfing, water sports, you have plenty of activities, like hiking etc.  Let me know if you looking for something to rent.  I can help you.

Private message me.

Thanks
Daisy

Hi Daisy My name is Talia ,I will be moving to Mauritius,in October.Do you rent out places .,as I will also be looking for a place to rent . before buying a house .please give me more information.
Regards Talia

Hi Talia

Trust you doing well.

May i have a little bit of more information about yourself.  Background check. Your full name.

From which country you are?  What is the purpose of your stay in Mauritius?  Do yoi have a valid work permit or is a citizen of Mauritius?

In which area are you looking for house to rent, number if bedrooms?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you.
Daisy

hi ,

depending on your mood and taste - whole island is paradise and North ( grand bay / peerybear./port louis  is always / mostly warm and 2 degree hotter as compared to center ( QuatreBornes / flic n flacq ) and south is colder than any other part of  country - south has more rain ( curepipe and towards airport )

north is surrounded by European expat / center is mostly have asian expat and sout has kind of mix
expat.

North is ( grand bay ) is happening place even after evening

trust this will help