We are 58 and 78 years old and we are thinking of moving to Mauritius

Hello to all the fellow South Africans in MAU.   Firstly could someone tell us where the best place for us will be - near retirement age
Are there good GP's - from SA in MAU?
Good hospitals?
Paediatricians for our grandchildren?

North South or East, where are the better suburbs or is everywhere great?

We would like to bring 2 cars to MAU.  Is it a good move?  We have checked already, there is a Volvo and Jag dealer.

I would really appreciate your effort and answers.  Regards K. Ring

Dear Karen Ring,
Welcome to Mauritius.

Would suggest private hospital - like Clinique Du Nord they are based round the island and the services is efficient and very good. PLease let know if whenever you need their services and if need be we can look for appointment on your behalf..
For used cars you will need some documents for custom clearance and a good clearing and forwarding agent who can perform and act on your behalf for all documentations and paper related to clear your vehicles.

To note vehicles need to be right hand drive.

You may contact me on private message and will be glad to assist you.

Best Regards
Kevin

I am no Mauritian expert but I have done a lot of research..so my two cents is: cars are quite expensive in Mauritius. Think of bringing your own if they qualify as duty free for new residents.

Hi Karen,

What will you be doing re medical aid/insurance? I don't think any South African medical aid fund will cover a member abroad and as one gets older, it becomes progressively more difficult to take out international insurance.

Regards,
Harry

The question here is, would you need SA or other insurance, given that Mauritius Has some very good elite hospitals? Normally Africa coverage includes SA, the whole of Africa,  India and thus Mauritius. That's my Aetna plan, one of the best..... why not take out an Mu based insurance at a fraction?

I wasn't actually thinking about medical treatment in SA or anywhere else abroad, but rather covering the cost of medical treatment in Mauritius. Medical treatment in Mauritius is no doubt of a high standard, but I would imagine that an expat would wish to go for private care - and that can be costly. I've been on international insurance for worldwide cover for more than 20 years myself, but only really used it during my 15 years in Singapore. And boy, in the end was I glad to have had that insurance cover.
You mention that Mu insurance should be sufficient. Which are the Mu companies? I would like to approach them to ask whether they could insure someone of 77 years old and under what conditions.

Hi sorry not to be an expert on this, but I do know from general chats with those living there that they are reasonable in comparison to  others. If you are a rez, or PR..the state healthcare is free..and from what I have read, dependant on your local hospital, can vary from very good to maybe...that could be useful for the minor afflictions of age, for example..... At 73 I pay 6500$ a year for emergency inpatient only on Aetna Dubai.......the full deal with outpatient  would cost 12.5$ K per annum. I think Mauritius is well below that from what I hear.

To be honest one should just ast a new question on a new posting!

I think your insurance is able to cover you even when abroad.
For medical insurance in private hospital ,just informed the person their that you have international insurance and they will do needful on your behalf and look after all procedures and inform your insurance.
Normally at Clinique Du Nord i know they work like this..therefore no headache on the patient side. We do work with them more than 18 years now with patients on international insurance like in SA/UK/SIN/France etc and never had any issues concerning payments...

I fully agree that the medical service in Mauritius will accept most insurance policies. My question though is how to buy/get that international insurance at such higher age. Most insurance companies have a maximum-age joining limit and some kick you out at a certain age. In South Africa people generally have Medical Aid cover, which is not similar to (international) insurance and will not cover you while living abroad.
It is also our particular problem - there seem to be no international insurance companies willing to insure someone in his/her seventies. It's the reason we have to drop our idea of wanting to go to Mauritius.

Hi Hatridon,

My father still have his medical insurance cover and he is already 75 yrs old..
If you keep paying your medical insurance and go through their medical test etc, therefore there is no issue about the insurance cover.
You should know that most people contribute to their medical insurance in early working ages and this follow you until you pass away..since you dont stop your contribution i do not see why insurance will not want your money.