Intentional communities or land share co-ops?

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the group. I have lived in Guatemala and travel around Nicaragua and now want to learn about Belize. I almost made it there when I visited a town in Guate boarding Belize so I have an idea of the terrain and landscape.

I am curious about a number of things but first I wondered if there are any intentional communities or land share co-ops where people buy land together to live communally or somewhat communally or can buy into a situation like this?

Thank you
Carrie

There are Mennonite communities in several parts of Belize. I have no idea if they welcome outsiders into their lifestyle, or if one needs to be born into their religion.

Hi, I'm new also and am interested in moving to Placencia in approximately 5 years. I would also like to know about small homes or shared owner property! Michelle

Most homes in Belize are small by North American standards. The Mennonites manufacture many of them and truck them to the site. The only shared property or comune like committees I know of in Belize are the Mennonites. The only Mennonites I see in Placencia come in from Red Bank to sell vegetables. Or Furniture from Ship Yard.

I could be wrong, but I think you both are barking up the wrong tree looking for shared property in Belize unless you want to buy a condominium or  become Mennonites.

Thank you for your response. I am just starting the process of researching to see of I can retire there. Any suggestions for a single gal, retired military and by then, retired RN?

Maybe a condo on the lagoon affordable?

Cool, we should chat. I am thinking sooner than 5 years. Maybe a trip next year and relocate in 2 years or so.

I'm going to set up an Eco-Lodge, between Punta Gorda and Barranco.  104 acres with 360 feet of ocean front.  This is 100% of grid.  Open to sell some plots for people that want to live in this experiment.

I'd like to learn more about your plans. Any idea about the cost of plots of land?

mpadilla wrote:

Open to sell some plots for people that want to live in this experiment.

Not having clear title to land is a common problem is Belize for various reasons. A common reason is in past decades, land was granted by the government to families. Over the years some family members moved away, some remained but sold some or all of the land. Then later a family member with valid claim to the land returns not knowing the land was sold without their permission. If this happens, it can be a mess.

What form of title did the person(s) you bought it from have?
What form of title do you currently have on the land you are selling?
When you bought it, was a title search done?
Did you use a real estate attorney when you bought the land?

Bought via Remax and hired lawyer for due dilligence.  Former owner was is a German who owned the land for more than 15 years.  I also pay property taxes.

mpadilla wrote:

Bought via Remax and hired lawyer for due dilligence.  Former owner was is a German who owned the land for more than 15 years.  I also pay property taxes.

Thanks for the partial reply. I just want to let folks in this forum understand that like almost everything else in Belize, buying and selling property is quite different here than doing so in the USA.

Your offer to sell presents a fine opportunity to illustrate to folks here some the of questions that need to be asked (and are often not) when looking at property to buy in Belize.

The use of an agent (Remax in this case) to bring a buyer and a seller together and  to expedite the paperwork helps the transaction take place, but offers the parties little protection if things go wrong in the future. Unlike North America, in Belize the lack of Title Insurance leaves one unprotected if title disputes take place in the future. That is why doing detailed due diligence is important to protect oneself from honest errors/mistakes/misunderstandings, and fraud. 

The Real Estate attorney you used, did he/she represent you only, or was he/she part of, or working for Remax?

Below are three questions  unanswered from my previous message and one I forgot to ask.

1) What form of title did the person(s) you bought it from have?

2) What form of title do you currently have on the land you are selling?

3) When you bought it, was a title search done?

New question I forgot to ask the first time:
4) Do you have any partners or anyone else that has a financial interest in the property you are selling?

For questions 1 & 2 the type of title will probably be on the title search report as well as on your copies of those documents.

Hi,

1) I am not currently selling anything.  Just stated that I would be open to sell part of what I have.  At least 4-5 projects can be done in this property, and open to partners.

2) I bought it from a corporation and set up a corporation, which only asset is the land. No liabilities. 

3) Land comes with a "First Certificate of Title", approved by all pertinent government  entities.

4) Again, I hired a lawyer for a proper title search.  Lawyer (he is from the US and has lived in Belize for more than 15 years) does not work for Remax.  It was an additional cost I incurred.

5) I have all the paperwork to show that I'm the owner (via a corporation, which I have 100% of the shares).  Why do you ask?  Are you interested?  If ***
Best,

Marcelo

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct