Opening a Sparkasse Bank Account in Germany

Hi everyone,

I recently decided to open a Sparkasse Bank account since the ATMs are easily found in the city and also near my office. However, I was told they will require a Tax ID Number as part of the registration.

I wonder if this is common when opening up a bank account in Germany and if anyone has any suggestions when having a local account the soonest possible would be ideal to pay for my apartment rent & deposit (and receiving the Tax ID Number may take a couple of weeks from my understanding)..

Thank you and appreciate the advise in advance,
Tricia

The formal requirements for opening an account are pretty much the same for all banks in Germany.
And most banks allow you to withdraw at any ATM (often worldwide), so that topic also doesn't matter.

beppi wrote:

The formal requirements for opening an account are pretty much the same for all banks in Germany.
And most banks allow you to withdraw at any ATM (often worldwide), so that topic also doesn't matter.

Correct that with most any German bank card one can withdraw from virtually any ATM. The question is the charge. If from one's own bank it is usually free but with other ATM's there might be a fee, depending on which bank. I'm not sure if some banks are more often fee free than others.