Accommodation in France: scams you should look out for

Hi,

Committing to renting or buying accommodation when you're new to or have not moved to France just yet is always a stressful endeavour. Would you like to help us in putting together a handbook of what to look out for when house hunting in France?

What are the most common scams in France?

What are the red flags to look out for when scanning through adverts?

Is there a list of registered or accredited landlords or real estate agencies in France?

What authorities should be sought should one come across an accommodation scam?

Please share your experience,

Bhavna

I don't know anything about scams, but buying property in France is much different than buying property in the United States. There seem to be more « grey areas » legally, even though there is a ton of paperwork.
An example is; what is sold with the house?
If the seller can, for instance, remove the kitchen cabinets at the last moment without harming the walls, so  you walk in for the final inspection and discover there is a gutted kitchen, but that is acceptable.
Twice I have have contracted that the sellers were leaving certain items, but when I went into each house for the first time, those things were missing. Everything from clothes washers to wall sconces.
Of course, one can always sue,  but what a mess. Easier to move on and replace things.
With my first house I was assured by the agent that the roof was good for at least ten more years. Turned out it had been leaking into the structure for many years and had rotted the roof beams.
The agent did not know, but should not have said the roof was good if he didn't know the facts.
I have bought three properties from accredited, popular agencies who are well-known in my town and each time have been told things that turned out to be false.
So be vigilant, but assume there will be some glitches. Even if you are French. I had the help of my French family with my purchases, and it didn't protect me.
As I said, there is a ton of paperwork and it all seems so formal, but underneath there seems to be a casual attitude.