Government Schools

Hello Guys,

we want possible relocate to mauritius soon. But we have 3 kids and the private school fees for three possible are huge. So the question if there are any government/public schools in mauritius which are "o.k."?  I mean in general?

P.s. Kids are now 1 and 2. So we have a little bit time, but we want do research already

Hello

Depending on the region you will be staying..

In some place public schools are great.

but keep in mind that the base language in public school will be the mauritian creole

In which areas do you think you can find the best government/public schools? So we can adjust our location to this area!

About the language, creol is fine for us. But they learn also additional some english in government/public schools or only creole's language?

the best schools are found in the centre of the island.

am not telling that others parts are bad , but for what i know the centre is best .. in plaine wilhems..
and yes in school french and english is taught

RCA school depending on the region, offer acceptable level of primary education if you are on a budget.

It dependa where you live, as better the region, the better the school environment.

Philippinesgo wrote:

In which areas do you think you can find the best government/public schools? So we can adjust our location to this area!

About the language, creol is fine for us. But they learn also additional some english in government/public schools or only creole's language?

The main teaching language in state schools is English. French is also taught, same for Oriental languages.
However, the conventional language spoken between students is Mauritian Creole.

Good government schools are mainly located in the Plaine Wilhems region in the large towns - Curepipe, Port Louis, Rose Hill/beau Bassin, Quatres Bornes.
Aryan Vedic in Vacoas, Hugh Otter Barry in Curepipe, Sir Veerasamy Ringadoo in Quatres Bornes, Phillippe Rivalland in Beau Bassin, Notre Dame de Victoire in Rose Hill, Raoul Rivet in Port Louis are some of the most reputed govt schools in Mauritius.

Roman Catholic Schools under the aegis of the Mauritian Catholic Church are also highly rated and with very good reputation. They are called RCA schools and are located in towns and big villages. Some are affiliated with high schools which are also very good and respected. The best ones are the Loreto Colleges found in Curepipe, Quatres Bornes, Port Louis and Rose Hill and are exclusively for girls.
For boys, you have the St Esprit, St Joseph and St Mary's.

One Question about the Roman Catholic Schools - RCA`s:  Are boys and girls always separated, or are there also schools where both sexes go together into one class? And do you have any idea what the annual fee in such a school costs for a child, e.g. primary school? I found this one http://www.st-nicholas.mu/faq.html Are this fees per year or per months (just as example)?

At primary level, the classes are mixed, but at secondary level, boys and girls are separated and go to their respective schools.
RCA schools are state funded, therefore free.

St. Nicolas is a private school. These are monthly fees.

Thank you soooo much WinstonH. This was really helpful!!!

Hello there....just shifted to Mauritius..I would be grateful if someone can help me good govt school who is in class 3 near tombeau bay or flic en Flac..also where English is the major communication among kids..TIA

Hello. in Mauritius there's no govt school where children speak in English. that's in private school like le bocage and other English medium schools which are of high n good quality educational level n good teachers too.
best to go to private schools for better adaptation as in govt schools children usually use local langage creole and in that region the children may not adapt to yr children who come from abroad. now that's up to you to decide. for admission in a govt school u should go to the ministry of education head office in PHX to do needful.

Ok thank you for the immediate response😊

Hello there..can anyone give me a review on Hugh otter Barry govt school curepipe Mauritius? TIA :)

Hello. Hugh Ottobarry govt school in Curepipe is said to be a really good govt school with good teachers. I have few cousins in my family whose children went there. it's really good. the teachers are professionals.

This was really helpful...thank you.. Any idea if they teach hindi there ?

Yes in RCA scholl their have multi options for oriental language which include Hindi. But RCA schools have their school map that means your residence address need to be located within their school map area. Also after you sent the application there will be a PTA parents teacher association, to decide the application. In some year when the applicants are more than the number they can accept, they will select.

And in terms of the cost of RCA school, you only need to consider the books and uniform. Some school uniform to socks.

All primary govt schools teach oriental languages depending on teacher available ie Hindi urdu Arabic Chinese Telegu Tamil Chinese and 'catechiste' ie religious study for children of catholic faith.

I enjoy Hindustani Films because I passed borderline in Urdu language. but I could not read nor write in Urdu. too tough. Arabic language is said to be tougher. Hindi and Urdu language have same words written differently.

Ok thank you for the responses...this will help.

@WinstonH So are you also saying that expats can attend public school? I thought that as an expat you have to attend private schools only. I have two kids going to grade 4 and 10 next year and I can definitely not afford private school. Coming over on a premium visa.