The pet culture in Indonesia

Hey everyone,

Pets are an integral part of a lot of families. So much so that they would never consider moving abroad without them. Before doing so, it would be important to know the pet culture in Indonesia just to make sure that their little “expets” feel welcomed in their new homes. Would you give our expats-to-be an insight of what it is like to have a pet in Indonesia by answering the following questions?

What part do pets play in society in Indonesia? Are they generally accepted in rentals and public spaces more generally?

Is it common for families to have pets?

What animal is the most often kept as pets? Are there some animals that cannot be kept as pets? Do some animals have specific significations when kept as pets?

How about the infrastructure needed to cater for pets? Can you find everything you need for your pet in terms of pet food, veterinary services, accessories, pet grooming etc...?

Do people generally spend a lot of money on their pets?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

Depending on a lot of things, dogs can be a problem as many see them as taking godliness away from a home. That applies to some of the 86% Muslim population.

Most in south east Asia/ asia  look at animals as a possession rather than a pet this is birds, dogs and cats etc to name a few.
It is looked upon very differently compared to the western world in many cases but not all
Rabies and other desease within animals within south east Asia is a risk, interestingly Indonesia is the only country to go from low to medium risk for rabies.
For a westerner to see such animals treated in the way they are is shocking so you have to try and prepare (if such a thing) to see dogs caged up and not exercised in sweltering heat and conditions and mistreated (again not always the case but common in my experience)
A good (trained) vet are few and far between but they are around and reasonable priced
Birds seem popular along with cats but many strays along with dogs and just disregarded (out of sight out of mind attitude)
Foods, vets grooming for cats and dogs etc is no problem in my location including mobile services and emergency out of hours

Birds are big out here, ranging from fancy birds for show to lots and lots of racing pigeons.
There are bird shops all over the place, all seemingly doing reasonably well, and birds are very commonly seen outside homes all over Indonesia.

Yes huge business for some, sadly many species are endangered/ critically endangered within Indonesia due to illegal trading

I just red on Facebook that on Bali somebodies' dog was poisoned, while it was a very kind dog and loved by many. My experience is that Indonesian are not animal friendly.
I lived for 7 years in Jepara, it was forbidden to keep a dog? If I would have taking a dog, I am sure somebody would has poisoned it.
According to my Indonesian ex-wife it is allowed to keep a dog in the garden in Mecca. If it is allowed in Mecca, why not in Indonesia?
That is what I hate about religions trying to tell you how to live your live with their own made rules.

Appie000 wrote:

I
According to my Indonesian ex-wife it is allowed to keep a dog in the garden in Mecca. If it is allowed in Mecca, why not in Indonesia?
That is what I hate about religions trying to tell you how to live your live with their own made rules.

That's utter rubbish.
Apart from Bali being mostly Hindu, I know loads of Muslim people with dogs at home.

Perhaps I could encourage you not to post ill informed crap from Facebook, please.

Some years ago it was made illegal/ or bylaws to “sell” dogs and cats in Mecca or Mecca area  I'm guessing around 12/ 15 years ago as I was living and working in Saudi at the time, it was strange as the saluki or similar breed was popular amongst Saudis at the time