Hi. Need details of long-stay renewal procedure

Hi everyone,

I live jn France part time and just got my long stay visa. My interviewer warned me to make sure I am in France for my renewal or else I will have to start over. I really don't want to make the 8 hour drive to my USA consulate in Atlanta again! It was stressful.
I am planning to stay in France for the next six months, then come back to the States for the winter, but then will return to France next Spring to renew my visa.
Can someone explain some of the mechanics of visa renewal?
At what point am I eligible to renew? How soon can I renew, that is. And then, how complicated is the renewal process?
Ideally I could return to France the last month of my visa, but does it take more than a month to get an appointment, interview and renewal?
Thank you.

Hi Ao,
You go online to get your renewal appointment (depending on your préfecture, but I think they all do this now). You need to start looking for the appointment 3 months before your visa expires, and have the appointment well before your visa expires (aim for 1-2 months before). At your appointment, you will get a récépissé, which will, combined with your expired visa, allow you to do everything as if you have an unexpired visa.
Have you already completed your OFII appointment and requirements? I was told all this at my OFII appointment.
You can read about my experience in renewing, but much of it will not apply to you, as our circumstances are likely very different: http://slowtravelin.blogspot.com/2017/1 … -card.html
Julie

Julie, thank you. Your comment helps me put my thoughts in order, as it can be difficult to find the correct information and what you have provided puts the sometimes seemingly arbitrary proceedures in more of a concrete form!

I am still in the States,  but will set up my OFII appointment when I get to France in  a few weeks and find out more.

Edit: I just read your blog and loved reading the details. Wishing you all the best.

A quick caution - timing can change, depending on your location. I've heard of some préfectures that are difficult to get appointments, and some that require appointments 5 months in advance - definitely ask about this at your OFII appointment. (Which might also take longer...)
Julie

Thanks for the warning.  I understand what you mean, having negotiated other procédures there : )
Even my USA consulate had it's quirks. They moved the visa office, but the new address was not on the website, except in very fine print buried in the paperwork. I arrived at the wrong end of Atlanta for my appointment, and brought cash, which they no longer take, but I did not see mentioned anywhere. C'est normal, I suppose.
But no  complaints,  I love my adopted country.

Julie, thank you for your help. I finally became “official” a couple of days ago and can now reapply each year in France for a long term visa at my local prefecture, and know exactly how to do it thanks to your advise and the advise of the people at my OFII office.
Wow,  the process was long and convulted! And it took almost 4 months to get my OFII appointment. Some said the delay was due to Brexit. But it's all behind me now ... I feel for anyone going through the process!  : )