Belize airport or Cancun

If our destination is Corozal area, which airport is recommended to land at. BZE or CUN.  I could then determine if we fly to Corozal, take a bus, or rent a car.

You have to fly to Belize City airport then take a taxi (150$) or rent a car. It's pretty expensive to rent , about 100$/day. We were there in November last year and it's a very poor area with nothing to do.
Whatever you do just don't take the bus to Corozal .
Good luck!

Would you go back to Corozal? What areas did you check out in Belize, and which ones did you like the best and why?

No, we won't go back to Carozal. We visited San Pedro as well but it's a very busy place with golf carts running up and down all day and night.
It's not a place I would retire either. The roads are very bad all over Belize and gas is very expensive. Looks that a better place is down south around Placencia but I wouldn't know. We tried to find a place for retirement but we gave up Belize. I am looking for a place in Mexico witch is way better then Belize. We drove one day up to Mexico from Corozal to Mahahual and it was a huge difference.

My Wife and I have vacationed a few times in Belize. as the other responder replied, Corozal didn't have much to offer. My Wife, who is 2nd generation Mexican/American said it was "too Mexican there", LOL.  Placencia on the other hand has become maybe my favorite destination for somewhere warm. Friendly people, lots of expats, just a beautiful place to be. I could certainly  see us retiring there. It reminds me of a Jimmy Buffet type of place!

We wish you a happy retirement and a good life.

I agree. No comparison. After a couple years in Belize, Mexico is a breath of fresh air. Better food, better roads,cheaper fuel and  more efficient utilities, superior health care, and better amenities.
It is what it is.

That's correct Susan but not to many people want to admit this  and this is the reason why so many people go there and come home very disappointed. That's life!

Susan, how do property values and rules of ownership compare?

Dont know as I rent. 450 usd$ per month for a furnished 2 bdr house with central ac and a pool. Electricity is 40% less than Belize and is more reliable.

SusanBelize wrote:

Dont know as I rent. 450 usd$ per month for a furnished 2 bdr house with central ac and a pool. Electricity is 40% less than Belize and is more reliable.

Perhaps you do not mean to, but your constant method of trashing Belize implies you have experienced the problems in every village/town/city in all seven Districts of Belize. While I believe you may have had some of these experiences in one or two locations, I know for a fact that what you say is not true of Placencia peninsula, or of the Village of Placenaca.

Since you never answered my previous question, and since your repeated trashing of an entire country seems to go on forever, I make two simple requests.

My request:
1) QUALIFY where and when your tragic experiences happened, (when and where).
2) Go back, read my question to you, and honestly answered it, it is preserved here, so it is not hard to see...

Thanks for your cooperation.

Firefox26 wrote:

That's correct Susan but not to many people want to admit this  and this is the reason why so many people go there and come home very disappointed. That's life!

Due Diligent s, Due Diligent s, Due Diligent s before making up ones mind, or buying property is critical no matter where one decides to invest/retire.

For each person, there are thousands of places on this planet that are not suited to live long term.
For each person there are likely only a few places that are suited long term.

That is why I repeatedly suggest spending a minimum of one-two weeks,during at least  three different seasons before deciding where you are going to RENT for about six months before buying property.

If one does not, and the relocation experiment fails, then I place the fault on the person for failing to do their due diligent s, not on the location.

You know what mr. Will The Old? I really have no comment. Everyone is entitled to his own opinion and no one has to explain to you “ when and where “ . If you like Belize good for you but the fact that other people have other opinions doesn't mean they are “ thrashing Belize”
So.....share you opinions and let other people to do the same.
Have a good life in Belize!

Here's the thing Firefox, with a true Belizer like Will opinions are met with condemnation..eg “I prefer Modelo over Belikin because the latter resembles horse urine”
reply..” hater,trasher,naysayer” etc
The same applies to a fact..eg Belize cost of living is 30%+ over Mexico or Panama
reply.. usually this one is bypassed or met with obfuscation, or the suggestion that you only shop local. Have you ever tried Western Dairy sour cream or a bicycle lock made in Guangzhou?
I experienced no tragic experiences ( unlike the retired couple who were murdered other day in Consejo). Only a long succession of annoyances. Of course I admit that maybe I am not designed for life in a 3rd world backwater like Belize.

where in Mexico did you go and what were the prices like there...We are planning on moving to Corozal next year... would love some advice and some options

Have you ever been to Corozal ?

If you fly to Belize Airport, corozal will be approximately 1.5-2 hrs drive if you get a rental. If you fly to cancun it will be a 5-6 hour bus ride to chetumal and another 45 min to corozal. hope this helps

we are planning on the Cancun trip, and taking a bus from there to Chetumal, then what is the transportation from Chetulmal to Corozal.

jmjohnston88 wrote:

we are planning on the Cancun trip, and taking a bus from there to Chetumal, then what is the transportation from Chetulmal to Corozal.

I have never done this, or even considered it as I try to not do things the hard way. But I did find this online. 

https://belizebus.wordpress.com/2019/01 … o-corozal/

Based on the information you have posted previously, I sincerely hope for you and your husbands  sake, that this trip is only the first of several exploratory trips to Belize, and not a permanent move to Belize.

Back in the day, I tried several options : flying to Bze and then a 2 hr 150$ taxi ride to Czl or my preference which was flying  to Mexico City and then Chetumal via Interjet and being met at the airport by my regular Belizean taxi guy, or the flight to Cancun and a 5 hour bus ride to Chetumal for 25$. Its a fine bus with nice seats and AC but my least fav method.

why would you say that I have said something, that would make you comment on a post I had commented on.. and yes we are moving to Belize for good,,
we are just trying to find the least expensive route to take to get there..
flights into cancun are cheaper than Belize City.