New members of the Mexico forum, introduce yourselves here - 2019

Hi all,

Newbie on the Mexico forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Mexico if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Am David
Am graduate teacher in Uganda
And the same time a gospel artist my YouTube channel is K Davidson Harry
Am looking for a job in Mexico
Any job I can do

hi there. i am interested in the cost of living in chihuahua. i am thinking of relocating to mexico but i need input on the best places to live in chihuahua. all information is greatly appreciated.

adventurousC

Big Hi to everybody ,

I am neil only 54 ( yikes )  a bit about myself from swindon in wiltshire uk i am a freelance chef lived in perth australia for 9 years ( another one with a big visa story ) but loved it there. Just been  in New zealand for 6 months but i need the sun

I really want to make a go of mexico looking at cancun or playa del carmen being a chef any advise on these areas  would be brill ... will be looking at the job visa route to start with. Great talk to people on here .. very different than oz . I havent  a clue.Good to be on board here.

Shergi11 :

Big Hi to everybody ,

I am neil only 54 ( yikes )  a bit about myself from swindon in wiltshire uk i am a freelance chef lived in perth australia for 9 years ( another one with a big visa story ) but loved it there. Just been  in New zealand for 6 months but i need the sun

I really want to make a go of mexico looking at cancun or playa del carmen being a chef any advise on these areas  would be brill ... will be looking at the job visa route to start with. Great talk to people on here .. very different than oz . I havent  a clue.Good to be on board here.

Hello Shergi,

Yes, Mexico will be different than Downunder. I have been to those places also.

Cancun is also someplace that I am familiar with. Cooking wise I would say your ideas would be a good start. I assume you are looking for beach areas. there are  a  few pretty good restaurants in those areas but also up near Rosarito, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta. If it's not just beach there may be other places that would fit your criteria. I feel there are some pretty good restaurants in my area.

So flesh out your ideas and we will try to help.

Hi Travellight,

Thanks for your help on that one checking those places
Out .. yes i think your right mate..

I love my Beaches perth has them in abundance and i need sunshine but i wont rule out anywhere at thos stage.

All looks very different,hows your spanish coming on ?
I have literally just started.

Shergi11 :

Hi Travellight,

Thanks for your help on that one checking those places
Out .. yes i think your right mate..

I love my Beaches perth has them in abundance and i need sunshine but i wont rule out anywhere at thos stage.

All looks very different,hows your spanish coming on ?
I have literally just started.

Mexico is pretty much all sunshine with a hint of heavy rain, earthquakes in and near Mexico city, heat in the Yucatan, humidity oh and hurricanes., although those seem to be trying out other countries.

I think I forgot to add Cabo to your list so you might look that up also.

Ah yes, I loved Australia and liked New Zealand. They are having various issues weather wise I see, but we all are. When I was there it was just trying to avoid the various critters and potentially deadly seashells. Of course, Mexico has some critter problems also.  Mexico has that same adventure feel that Downunder has but a bit rougher and with an official different language. Australia just has its jargon, but they speak English So no worries.

Around the resort areas many of the locals speak at least some English so initially, that could help, but given that those are tourist areas its best to learn the language. There is plenty of selling in those areas and, yes some cons, so stay sharp.

I speak fairly decent Spanish and I continue to study it. Duolingo is very helpful. Another useful tool might be the Gritty Spanish series I have on my kindle.  Google translate is a good back up.

There are a lot of Spanish apps and books, but I have found them to be ridiculously expensive and or sometimes confusing, and just not worth my time.

Learning
Spanish isn't the way they try to tell you in high school.  The form they use isn't' how it goes in reality, There are also common words they never tell you about.

Buena Suerte mate

Good afternoon:   We're moving from Florida to just below Tijuana in 3 - 4 months (we hope) and am looking for ANYONE who has done this.  I'm particularly interested in experiences with the Mexican Consulate (for the visa and for the inventory permit), timing, and such.  The drive to Miami is 3.5 hours for us, but there is a time issue as I see it.  We plan to have our things packed by the movers so I won't have a detailed inventory until that is done but then...where the f*** do we live in the meantime with our two cats and our parrot,  between time we can get an interview in MIA at the MX consulate, getting that list, having it translated to Spanish and of course, getting to the west coast. 

How detailed and exacting is Tijuana customs as to boxes and content (when certified by the mover)? Any and all experiences and ideas are welcome!

Susan

We are moving to just south of TJ (Rosarito) also in about a year.  We plan to purchase most of our furniture there.  We might buy some appliances in San Diego if our builder can't get them in Mexico.  I talked with a guy at Aztec appliances in SD to see if he would ship stuff to Rosarito, which he won't.  But he told me that he works with a customs broker in SD who will do all the paper work and transport across the border and deliver to our place.  Long story short, you might want to find a customs broker in San Diego and see if it's easier to have your mover ship to SD and then ship over via a broker who does it all the time.  Where are you moving to south of TJ?

Hi everyone, my name is Leo.  Retiring this year from teaching but my wife and I plan to run our small business for another 6 years before making the big move down south.  We live in Reno, NV.  We have traveled the past 9 years to Cozumel, Isla Majerus, Cancun, Puerto Vallerta, and Cabo.  We have stayed exclusively at all inclusive resorts - mainly because we only have had a week or so time wise so far -  so we have not really experienced Mexico but like the idea of moving down there later on.  With my retirement and the ability to close our shop for 3 to 4 weeks at a time we plan to revisit the areas longer and get out to see more of the local life.  Also nterested in Puerto Escondido and the La Paz area.  Looking for a smaller beach town to one day call home.

Hi. I'm Catherine and my husband and I currently live in Grass Valley, CA and in our late 50's.  We're looking to retire in 5-8 years, but want to seriously consider moving abroad to Mexico.  We've been to the Rivera Maya a few ago, and other than living in Okinawa while in the Marines, we haven't had a lot of experience traveling abroad.  We're considering Baha area (San Felipe) mainly because of the close proximity to San Diego, where we have family. We understand that it gets hot in the summer, but we may decide to travel to cooler climate during this time, see family, etc.   We're headed to see San Felipe in a week to get a feel of the town.  Neither my husband nor I speak spanish, but hope to begin learning.  We want to make sure to do our homework but also not wait so long that we get priced out of our dream.  Feeling a sense of community is one of our top priorities as is ability to get back to the states easily.  Would love to gain insight from expats that have already made the transition.  With much appreciation.  Catherine

We are in a similar situation but we have retired fully, having sold our business. Once her son graduates this May, we will be relocating to Tulum where we own home.  We have three units on Bahia Principe. You may read our story and view our units at USAdios.com. *Units may be viewed under the “Products and Services” page.  Best of luck!

Hello all!
Newly moving to mexico in about a week or so? finalizing now. going to be moving to oaxaca city to start I believe? But willing to be open to other options. I was married for 40+ years, having raised 2 children. one of which is coming with his daughter (15) to help the transition. looking for someone that might be able to help, as we don't speak very good english. my son has been around the world quite a bit, he lived in south africa awhile, and has been many other great places. so his help will be lovely. only, some other connections would be very much appreciated. having a friend before hand is one of my main goals. if anyone can help, thank you.