Lawn Mower

In the interest of getting stronger and healthier, I am considering an old-fashioned push mower, also called a reel mower.  Has anybody had any experience with them on the grass here in the DR? I'd rather not afford the gas or electric type, but may have to if the push mower is going to be a hassle on this type of grass.

https://www.google.com/search?q=reel+mo … hv4z5Q_OXM[/img]

Interesting question. Ive only ever seen one here and it worked just fine.

Don't let the grass get too tall, then a much more severe push needed.

A machete which is available at all hardware stores would provide most strenuous exercise when grass cutting but I don't know how gardeners get an even cut this way. See this guy at work!

https://youtu.be/DifWsszSsI4

A petrol grass trimmer appears the most popular grass cutting device here and would provide a decent level of exercise too, swinging it left and right, and readily available in hardware stores.

Forget gas motor driven or electrical do-dads.  You want exercise wth an immediate feed back of accomplishment,  push the damn mower.  Making it easier ain't going to fulfill the goal...Exercise lose weight , let the lazy or really fit dudes choose the lazy path.  Sweat, moan, groan, bitch & moan & you will win the prize!!  Half way through cutting the lawn, you will know the measure o your success.  You will finish the mowing because you ain't no quitter,... even if it's done the next day.  Won't be long before you do it in one fell swoop.  Yo is da man!!!11

Not afraid of the gas mower, used to mow several yards a day in the summer.  Had a riding mower for my house, did another property with a string trimmer.  If I did my lawn here with a machete, I will be making use of Planners insurance quickly, and often.  Although, I did buy a machete today...

I would rather try something new and different, and get a workout in at the same time. I'm not afraid of losing pounds, sweat, or a couple curse words in the process, but I'm kinda attached to my fingers and toes.

depends on your acreage .... small lot = push mower

Never seen one here

Ever use a scythe?  I have & it is a hell of a workout. Over 60 years ago & I still remember the next day.  You get into an almost hypnotic rhythm that goads you forward into the land of impending pain.  By the fourth day, you are able to carry on with the task at hand. I'll never forget that summer. See you soon Unc.

I'm chuckling Tinker...I have an image of you with your scythe and a black hooded cloak, taking the grass to Hades.  I think I'll skip the scythe, that will likely lead down the same path as the machete.  There's a theme here, I'm a clumsy oaf!

OK, no sythe, how about a stair railing & a dog wind break?  Settled in a bit?

I only use my  scythe on New Year's Eve....

How about a sicle?  Not sure of the spelling, but, damn sure of the blisters.  Damn thing only cut right handed.  Wouldn't cut using it with my left hand.  Maybe they sold left-handed sicles, never saw one.  Real handy suckers they were..  Maybe the C should be a K //  or perhaps add the K/  I have no idea any more.